Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 New guy with engine I.D. question. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello friends, I am new to this form and I'd like to ask a few questions about the motor in my new sunny 300cc roadrunner reverse trike. I know it was sold as a 300cc trike but on the vin tag on the fairing it says that it is 278cc. Also it says on the tag that it is in the engine family BDGFC,278 M3W,can anyone tell me anything about this engine or who makes it????
    Also, the only thing stamped on the motor on the top are the number 170 with the letter C right underneath that, all four of those characters are in a flattened square aproximately 4 inches in diameter. If anyone can tel me something about this I'd be indebted to you, thank you. daddue-Steve.

2. #2 Re: New guy with engine I.D. question. 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear daddue11,

Welcome to MCM and looking forward to your ongoing reviews and tales about this contraption, er, bike of yours. Folks I know with the Can-Am Spyder www.can-am.brp.com/ generally rave about the experience, and your bike obviously is aiming for a bit of that shine.

As for your questions, can you make pictures of the VIN plate and other markings? Was there no dealer involved in your purchase?

Cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: New guy with engine I.D. question. 
    euphonius is right, pics'd be helpful. Tried to baidu the numbers in the post with the 发动机 (engine) in various combinations. Baidu hasn't yielded any results that's remotely look like an engine, except for a car V-8 one...

4. #4 Re: New guy with engine I.D. question. 
    BDGFC.278M3W-004 is the EPA certificate number, Ningbo Dongfang Lingyun Vehicle Made Co., is who manufactures the engine and it is 278cc and is rated at 13.8 kW. If the engine is not manufactured by DF then do not expect anyone to admit to that because that would be the same as them admitting that they committed fraud on their EPA application where they claim themselves and the manufacturer.

Your question could be does anyone know what engine is it based off, its a scooter engine for sure and likely a 250cc that was over bored?

I would guess it has some roots in a Yamaha/Linha engine design like the Aeolus 300?

Same engines in these…http://www.bestbuyscooter.com/mc_d300std/
    Maybe close to this? http://www.scootersus.com/aeolus260.html or this http://www.scootersus.com/aeolus300.html

5. #5 Re: New guy with engine I.D. question. 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Once you know WTF the actual make of this bike is, it would be great if you could start a new thread with the make and model name in the title, and then start regaling us with information and your impressions. Sunny is surely just a rebadge by the importer. Hope we can figure out who makes this thing. Search in MCM for can-am and you might find references to other chinese-made can-am copies, and you might even find this one. could also search in alibaba for sunny 300, dongfang 300, etc.

Would be great to get you the full dope on who made this Rube Goldberg machine, and maybe even get you a shop manual.

Nice whodunit we got here!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: New guy with engine I.D. question. 
    Dongfang is SUNNY Motors
    http://www.sunnymotor.com/product_in...s_id=134#descr

More then anything they are salespeople, there is no shop manual there is no parts book. It be nice if they offered that up as a PDF right there next to the products they sell. They have a decent web administrator these days, they have a ridiculous number of websites.

It’s a very cool vehicle in concept, your pretty brave buying one.

7. #7 Re: New guy with engine I.D. question. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks millions for all of the very informative replies my friends,I baught the bike new in April of this year And I love ALMOST everything about it except keeping the danged thing aligned,it's not worth a darned on rough roads because you have to realign the front end after you hit a deep pot hole. I try my best to avoid them but sometimes there's more potholes than road. the power and handling are excellent on the highway and it takes twisty roads like it's on rails , but, watch out for those potholes. daddue11-Steve