Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Banned
    Anyone owns a Jialing JH600B Sidecar and is willing to share experience, reliability and other issues, thanks in advance.
    Does the JH600B has the stalling issues as well?

2. #2 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    Anyone owns a Jialing JH600B Sidecar and is willing to share experience, reliability and other issues, thanks in advance.
    Does the JH600B has the stalling issues as well?
    Contact Lao Jia Hou, as he has/had one in BJ. He also had it for sale Feb last year.

3. #3 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Yup - had one for a couple of years, and just sold it a month, or so, ago. An MCM member in Shanghai also has one.

The new JH600B is now called the JH600B-A (weird naming convention). The new "A" has the new ECU, without stalling. Mine stalled, but is was hit & miss. The new owner is having it upgraded, but this is a little time-consuming because Jialing needs to custom-make the wiring harness for the JH600B. Anyways, it can be done.

As for personal impressions. I really liked it. I'd owned a couple of CJ750s, including a BMW-powered one, and it is night & day. I would never go back to a CJ, if I was to get back into sidecars. I live in the center of Beijing, so the idea of having a wide sidecar in Beijing traffic precludes me getting another sidecar. You are stuck in traffic, cooking in heat & humidity. No thanks.

My "B" had about 6,000 kms on it and the only thing that ever went wrong was a blown fuse. In my case, the "B" was very reliable. Conversely, I am sure you know about CJs.

It is definitely a bike that can handle rough terrain, effortlessly. Unlike a CJ, which always gave me sore arms "riding" it, the "B" was light and nimble. A 300 km ride was effortless. Good gas mileage, too (probably double a CJ).

I am not sure how comfortable the sidecar is, but I did not have any complaints from passengers. I put a sidecar windscreen on.

Has nice features like disc brakes all around (double calipers on the sidecar wheel), sidecar suspension, and the sidecar wheel that "steers" (yes, it does make a difference).

Otherwise, it is a JH600, which is also a nice bike. The "B" is only four forward gears, though, because one gear is used for the Reverse (really simple to use).

It garners a LOT of attention from people. A novelty, at first, but quickly wears thin. I've had strangers jump off the sidewalk when I've been stopped at a traffic light, and hop inside my sidecar because they wanted to try it out. Again, it attracts attention. It is the only non-Harley bike that my snobby HOG buddies would permit me to tag along with.

If I was to buy another sidecar, it is a no-brainer - I'd get another one. A very decent price, too ... a hell of a lot better than "rebuilt" CJs, IMHO, and you get updated technology. Apparently it is now available in gloss black, but I have personally never seen one. Mine was army, flat green ... an acquired taste.

Don't know about Shanghai, but the new JH600B-A can now get A plates in Beijing.

As an end note, I have seen several JH600Bs popping up in some CJ shops around Beijing. People want legal bikes, I guess.

4. #4 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Conversely, I am sure you know about CJs.
    Thanks for the info, had a few CJ's in the past and your correct, would not own one again as well.
    Need to talk further to the Shanghai Jialing rep and the bike will be used on the big island in Southern China (Hainan) for cruising and off road riding. Let's see how everything works out in the next few weeks and shall report back.....

5. #5 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Hey TB.

I have one here in Shanghai... its still a series 2 without the ECU upgrade.... Its in the mail. It does stall occasionallly and sometimes a lot but is managable with the sidecar, not sure how the two wheel JH600's handle it could be really dangerous.
    Another thing my JH 600B has been all over Hainan. I LOVED it there.... It is pretty good in the the Sand but I wish I had brought on full on Knobby for the rear. But the with 4.10 tires help it "float" on the sand Just wash and oil your chain afterwards.... In Bao'Ao on the beach near some abandoned hotels I felt like I was in Dakar racing along the coast in the surf line. Later in the Jungle I was glad to have the Jialing as I had to negotiate many muddy hills that had sheer drop off... the bike did well. I did the same trip earlier and took a CJ 750, which was good but not as good as with the JH600B. Not to mention I could actually get somewhere in a day...

I have a winch and shovel mounted to my bike and need both, but never need tools. The tire are so rugged that I have not had a flat tire yet!!! and I have encountered may a nail and metal on the roads. I have found stuff jammed into the rubber but nothing penetrated into the interior.

Winch and spotlight, shovel is attached to the back...
    DSC00218.jpg
    Hainan, in Sanya
    DSC00081.jpg

TB if you want to play with it call me the next time you are going to be at that German resturant of the Hu Qing Ping or at your clubhouse. I can swing by... You should have my new number (gave it to you last time we saw each other at the Ducati Cafe) or just PM me and I will give it to you.

Winston

6. #6 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    ^That is a serious looking outfit! Nice! How does the alternator/generator handle running the extra load? Did you ride the outfit all the way from SH to Hainan and return? If so how many km's was it and how long did it take you? Aside from the two mods on the front of the chair (spotlight and winch) what other upgrades have you done? Who fit the spotlight and winch?

7. #7 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    5 days each way, but i was winding down the coast (not that nice). The interior of GuangZHou is nicer. KMs something like 2500 or so.I drove all the way to the end of the pennisula (Hai'an) on both occasions and then took a ferry across to HaiKou. Drove first time down the eastside then second time down the westside. supposedly there is a ferry from Guang Zhou, but I couldnt find it... It only takes 18 hours direct to Sanya.

Other then the winch and winch plate the bike is stock... Oh and those goofy big hand guards(nice in the winter, or the rain.) As for the spotlight its more a quick detach hunting long range flashlight then a driving flood beamdo to the fact that beam is too focused, but it does help when it gets really dark, or when I am camping ...(which I did in Hainan). The light is from Cabelas outfitter store in Lousiana, USA (then are also found online at Cabelas.com) (or amazon) its a universal UTV/ATV spotlight and it comes with two typers of mounting brackets. cost me aroun 60 usd. The Winch came from Harbor Freight Tools in the US but its also available iin China. It was cheap I was there soooo I brought it home. As long as the engine is running (above idle speed) and you are not using both at the same time the bike handles the draw fine. A larger battery in the sidecar truck would probably be best if you were really using the winch a lot then that might be necessary but in reality you don't need it so much. The tow rope, however i almost always use because I ride sometimes with CJ's. I become an instant service vehicle, hahaha.

8. #8 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    if you want to play with it call me the next time you are going to be at that German resturant of the Hu Qing Ping or at your clubhouse. I can swing by....
    Thanks for the offer and might get back to you, have to discuss with the Shanghai JL shop (Mr.Fan) about registration / license plate next week.
    As soon the license / rego is worked out shall order a JH600B-A sidecar rig.

side-note: the german restaurant "Wirtshaus" (HuQingPing Highway) closed last month. The German chef / owner will set up a new restaurant near the WISS school (Qingpu district, one block left from HuQingPing Highway) shortly or is already operating, need to check.

9. #9 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    the winch and winch plate the bike is stock... big hand guards. The Winch came from Harbor Freight Tools in the US but its also available in China.
    Any leads on the winch, winch plate and hand guards?

Does the JH600B has power outlets similar to adventure bikes from BMW, KTM, Ducati, etc.?
    Power outlets 12V: http://www.powerlet.com

Thanks for any info and feedback.

10. #10 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Winch can be sourced from Taobao. Winch plate custom bulit from plate bought on beijing lu, huangpu district. The popwer outlets are not standard but again waterproof ones from tourtech or even taobao will do.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast