Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
  1. #151 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Apologies for the photo orientation. For some reason when they all uploaded half of them that were portrait went to landscape and vice versa. Anyone know how to sort this out??
    Shanghai
    2012 Jialing JH600B-A (Shanghai) 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC (UK)
    2003 Hyosung Aquila 125 (UK) 200? Yamaha YBR 125 (Yangshuo)
    2010 Triumph Bonneville A2 (sold)

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    @Tom, thanks sharing.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    You show picts of weak sports you had to repair later, would you recommend making any if those repairs preemptively?

4. #154 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tombaxers View Post
    Apologies for the photo orientation. For some reason when they all uploaded half of them that were portrait went to landscape and vice versa. Anyone know how to sort this out??
    Interesting... seems that there are some weak points in the JH600 frame/subframe etc. Wonder if any of these have been bought to Jailings attention and even if so, whether or not the company would do much about it?
    I was tossing up on buying a JH600 more than once, but given a friends issues with the front end on his one here in Ningbo, I went with buying a GS for considerably more money than a Jialing.
    The main factor for me I considered was 'the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.'

As for the photos, check that you saved the photos first on your computer in the correct orientation. Meaning that you actually saved them, and not just relied on software to view them in the correct orientation - as this might not have saved them in the chosen orientation. Once you've checked that then you'll need to go back to the respective post and "EDIT" it - then select "GO ADVANCED", scroll down to the "MANAGE ATTACHMENTS" button then select all relevant photos in the next window and delete them. You'll need to go about reattaching whatever photos you want, and importantly editing the post etc.

Hope that helps.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

5. #155 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Tom, a totally awesome review! Thanks.

I also had a JH600B (pre-A, hence had the EFI issue), but it was babied compared to what you did. I also owned a few CJ750s, including the POS BMW cponversion. You are correct that the JH600B is at least a million times more reliable than a CJ (Choinese Junk, as bikerdoc noted). I would buy another JH600B (the JH600B-A) if I was back in China.

I had heard about the black paint issue before, but your pics bring it to life.

You are spot on about the JH600B being the "best" in the market for a sidecar, warts and all. And yes, it is all part of the China experience. It is what it is.

Again, great stuff, thanks Tom. You've had a couple of great adventures with that bike!

6. #156 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Quote Originally Posted by gt7599a View Post
    You show picts of weak sports you had to repair later, would you recommend making any if those repairs preemptively?
    Hard to say on this one.

For the mount under the backbox, yes I would say it would definitely be worth some reinforcements in this area. It is not an easy area to reinforce. You would need to make a bespoke plate that has holes for the bolts that hold the pillion grip in place and then weld this underneath to the main section of the frame, which would need preparing accordingly to take the weld. To be honest so far I have not done this as I haven't had time and it already required more of a disassembly than I wanted to endeavour that day, so instead I just got the section repaired and it is on my list to tackle at some point when i have time.

For the section at the front, I really don't understand this break. The weight it holds is really not that substantial (like I said literally just dash; headlight surround and a big bunch of the wiring loom) so I am not clear exactly what could have done this. I have a feeling it could have been a logistics company that may have done this not wear and tear. When I sent the bike from Shanghai to Chengdu I found the fuckers had dropped - what must have been - a fairly heavy crate right on top of the bike (which only had a wooden skeleton frame covering it). This had dented the fuel tank and smashed the windscreen. But if this were the case I did the entire of the last trip with that crack in situ which I also find hard to believe. Never will know, but either way not the strongest tubing in the world!

IMG_8235.jpg
    Damage from the logistics company on arrival in Chengdu. Took about 3 hours to negotiate with them to pay 2000rmb for the damage, which actually only cost ~350. They also told their warehouse in Kunming to give us preferential pricing on the return journey, which meant we got the wooden crate (this time well built with full coverage) for free~

Area around the back mount that needed fixing. You can't really see from this view but there is very little supporting that plate at the back so definitely scope to improve/ strengthen in due course!

The repair!
    Shanghai

7. #157 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Interesting... seems that there are some weak points in the JH600 frame/subframe etc. Wonder if any of these have been bought to Jailings attention and even if so, whether or not the company would do much about it?
    I was tossing up on buying a JH600 more than once, but given a friends issues with the front end on his one here in Ningbo, I went with buying a GS for considerably more money than a Jialing.
    The main factor for me I considered was 'the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.'

Not sure whether these problems have been bought to the attention of JL. I know Euphonius tried to give them some feedback about the JH600 and even had a meeting with a bunch of JL guys who came to SH, but I gather it fell on deaf ears. I also heard that most of the sidecars that JL sell are to both the Chinese army and foreign militaries and the funny thing is that when the Chinese army send these back in for servicing the highest milage they have ever seen on any single clock was ~450kms. So the Chiense army really aren't using these for anything aside from displays by the sounds of things. Therefore it is probably that they have never really been put through their paces before. I offered to give a feedback to one of the JL sales guys when was looking to get a list of spare/ new parts off them but he simply wasn't interested. Seems any etiquette of continual improvement is not something they are akin with!

As for the photos, yep, thanks, I think it was Preview on my Mac that wasn't actually saving the orientation to the original file. Worked out now how to sort it. If I can be arsed I will go back and modify those that are incorrect above.
    Shanghai

8. #158 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Tom, a totally awesome review! Thanks.

Again, great stuff, thanks Tom. You've had a couple of great adventures with that bike!

No problem at all, glad you appreciated the review.

Yep, definitely had a good few adventures. At some point I really need to get around to writing up those ride reports. They may come sometime when I get some free time on my hands, which is erm... not that often sadly!
    Shanghai

9. #159 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by gt7599a View Post
    @Tom, thanks sharing.
    Agree, thanks for sharing.

Own a B-A (green) myself, did not have that amount of problems. Maybe I drive more carefully, maybe I am just lucky
    However, it is fun driving!
    Good enough for bad roads (try HW13 between Odomxai and Luang Prabang in Laos), but not for off-road use. And yes, clutch is a bit weak, factory even suggest to have spare with you on long trips, particularly when leaving China.

10. #160 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    And yes, clutch is a bit weak, factory even suggest to have spare with you on long trips, particularly when leaving China.
    Interesting. So you spoke to the factory about this and they actually gave some feedback?

The last trip I went on I was carrying a spare set, but the thought of changing one out at altitude on an incline without the correct tools was not something I relished. I'd be interested to know if it is actually an operation you could pull off without the correct kit. I assume you need a bespoke tool/ tools. In fact the manual claims you need two or even three. If anyone has any experience changing one of these clutches out without these tools I'd be very keen to hear about it!

Also, looking at the manual it seems that if you do go ahead and change the clutch then you also need to replace a bunch of other small components (seals, gaskets, lock washers etc...)in the process. Might be something worth looking into before a big trip out of China!

Shanghai

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast