Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post
    Not sure Army Green is the perfect Hainan Island Cruiser color....Would you consider giving the bike a paint job?
    I've yet to see a JB with cool paint.
    G'Day,

The last mod this basic army green JH600B needs is a fancy paint job, bought the bike as a no frills bike to trash around.... scratches, bullet holes and dings only add character to a army green bike! Easy to get spares in army green on the Big Island as the Army / Navy uses the same sidecar rigs down in the South.....

Now, did 200k's+ on the bike since I got my 15 days temp plate / rego on Saturday morning and it's a much better sidecar bike compared to CJ sidecars.
    One issue came up last night coming home in the dark, seems the JH600B-A doesn't like to sit at idle speed for 2-3 minutes in front of the garage as the exhaust header starts to glow cherry red?! Anyone experienced this issue with JL JH600 bikes yet? Looks like the bike is running to lean sitting at idle......
    Attached Images

2. #22 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    ... it's a much better sidecar bike compared to CJ sidecars.
    Totally, totally agree!

One issue came up last night coming home in the dark, seems the JH600B-A doesn't like to sit at idle speed for 2-3 minutes in front of the garage as the exhaust header starts to glow cherry red?! Anyone experienced this issue with JL JH600 bikes yet? Looks like the bike is running to lean sitting at idle......
    Yup, I did a little video a while back .... here

3. #23 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Should not be a problem, almost all bikes do that. Just not noticed that offen.
    Exhaust tempratures are simply that high.

I am sure your HD did the same. My Buell does wonderfully cherry red, and is surely not too lean at idle.

4. #24 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaifingers View Post
    I was thinking about painting the JH600 Desert Tan, with a matt black frame..... or paint it "Safari" style like my now sold CJ 750
    Already done, sorry! Milton already claims rights to the JH600 Desert edition (click for photo).

5. #25 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    Should not be a problem, almost all bikes do that. Just not noticed that offen.
    Exhaust tempratures are simply that high.

I am sure your HD did the same. My Buell does wonderfully cherry red, and is surely not too lean at idle.
    Hope your right, my HD's never did that (not with genuine OEM and straight open pipes). Only time over the years I have seen the right side header pipe of a CJ flathead glowing dark red and hot due to wrong timing. We let a HD883 Sporty idle yesterday next to my JL and the HD headers did not glow (aftermarket pipes not double wall pipes).

The JL JH600B-A is a fun bike for what it is but realised while riding a bit its the same as taking a car as lane slitting is impossible.
    Was great cruising around with a sidecar rig after all this years, next step = registration and licensing once I am back in town.

to be continued......

6. #26 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Yup, I did a little video a while back .... here
    exactly as my July 2012 JH600B-A, right on time between 2-3 minutes idling, red glowing exhaust headers are usually a sign of a lean running bike out timing out of whack.

hope 998S is right and should not really matter, anyhow, bike will be ridden as usual and will keep an eye on the glow.......

7. #27 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    exactly as my July 2012 JH600B-A, right on time between 2-3 minutes idling, red glowing exhaust headers are usually a sign of a lean running bike out timing out of whack.

hope 998S is right and should not really matter, anyhow, bike will be ridden as usual and will keep an eye on the glow.......
    To clarify a bit more, glowing headers are NOT an indication weather a fuel mixture is lean or not.
    You can have cherry red exhaust all the way with a rich mixture, or dark, non glowing pipes just before your engine falls to pieces due to lean mixture.
    The temperature fluctuation between lean and rich is already so high up, that anything metal will glow.

However, some headers have coatings inside and out, or are fitted with double pipes, that are designed to keep the gasses hot, and minimize transfer to the metal so that the gasses are less dense, and in theory easier to push through the exhaust system.

That is the only reason why some do, and others don't.

Red_Hot_Rear_Header_Pipe_2_29_8_2011.jpg Red_Hot_Front_Header_29_8_2011.jpg Red_Hot_Pipe_Side_Angle_29_8_2011.jpg

8. #28 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    However, some headers have coatings inside and out, or are fitted with double pipes....
    G'Day 998S,

FYI: exhaust system on our JH600B-A seems to be made out of stainless steel all the way to the muffler (chrome plated plastic shield covering the actual muffler), don't know about other JL600 bikes. Thick single wall only on the header pipe. Anyhow, will swing by once we are both back in town later this month......

JL600 owners, your pipes / exhaust system are stainless steel as well? Appreciate any feedback and info, thanks!

9. #29 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    Cherry Red - Check
    But after many kilometers in the mud I'd developed a kind of hardened cement-like plaque caked on (see pic). So now I really don't get that glow anymore. Kinda miss it...

Stainless Steel - Check
    But both euphonius and I swapped out the stock exhaust for the Laser Pro Duro.
    Since it's never been on a dyno to compare performance, all I can say is that post-mod it "simply sounds faster".
    What I can confirm is that it's MUCH LIGHTER than the Chongqing version. Check out Pfaelzer's post on the original Laser can mod here.

10. #30 Re: Jialing JH600B Sidecar 
    I am with MotoKai, after awhile the header just gets crusty and now only turns red if I idle for a really long time( which my first gen ecu generally won't allow, hehehe)

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast