Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 QingQi U-Zeal (轻骑 125-3B): Back to the Basics 
    I went to that shop off 水西门大街 to ask about the Regal Raptor 350cc chopper/cruiser. I didn't buy the Raptor eventually, I bought this:
    IMG_0714.jpg
    At a price of 7980 yuan this looks like at attractive purchase.
    I've ridden it around and I understand that I've been wrong about bikes for 6 years plus.
    125cc is enough for city traffic. That's it. And you can an attractive 125cc bike for a third of a price of, say, Suzuki GW250 (which is, actually, a beautifully engineered machine).
    Anyways, the bike itself.
    Looks:
    IMG_0712.jpg
    The bike looks. There was Bonneville and Kawasaki W400/650/800 and Kawasaki BJ250 (Estrella). And now there's this. QingQi U-Zeal. Minimum says it. Nothing extra, pretty basic. Still someone at QingQi got the classic style and penned a recognizeable bike that differs from other Chinese offerings.

Handling:
    IMG_0715.jpg
    Non-adjustable front fork, spring-rebound rear shocks. All simple. What surprised me, though, is that the suspension is pretty sharp and allows to steer the bike like you'd want. I'm not a cornering pro neither I am a racer, but I feel that this suspension allows for sharper turns than those I put it through :)
    Tyres on it are "Kingstone" 90/90-18 front; 120/80-16 rear. Can't say anything about tyres, seem to be ok. That's not a supersport anyway so I guess the tyres match.

Comfort:
    My wife complained about not having enough room on the back of it and she said it was a much harsher ride than her Suzuki EN150-A. As for me, I don't really get the footpeg position. Were they forward controls, they'd've been OK. Were they center mounted, would've been fine too. They are neither. Located somewhere inbetween of the aforementioned two places, they make the riding position feel weird.
    Maybe for an average Chinese rider that'd be a semi-chopper posture. Me, I feel, well, weird. Given that you can't grab the tank with your knees it's very strange.
    Not that it's uncomfortable, though. It's OK. Still I doubt it'll feel natural on a long ride.

Insides:
    The bike is powered by a QingQi 125cc engine that has strange marking on it:
    IMG_0717.jpg
    Don't know what "GS" refers to, but to me it sounds like a Suzuki engine series marking(probably rebranded/reverse-engineered/stolen/whatever).
    The bike has a Mikuni carburettor with a choke on its side and that's cool for a Chinese bike.
    Altogether the engine sound is, well, no sound. Starts easily, charges the battery. All the lights work like they should. The ignition switch has a position where the steering's locked and the lights (front and rear) are on.
    Oh, and it has some weird thing under the tank on the front right side, which looks like this:
    IMG_0718.jpg
    It has letters HF on it and the shop sales couldn't explain what it was used for. I haven't had time to reasearch that, so your guess is as good as mine.

The bike has the same front controls as my wife's Suzuki. same brand, same model. Apparently, the engine is similar to that of Suzuki GZ-125. There might be more going on between QingQi and Suzuki than we know about.
    In general: feels solid, rides as a 125cc would. Looks great. Will keep you updated.

2. #2 Re: QingQi U-Zeal (轻骑 125-3B): Back to the Basics 
    Suzuki GS125 is a legend model in China. Qinqqi used assemble from CKD . The street term in North = 鈴木王 while Yue-spaeking area (Guangdong/ Guangxi) = 刀仔 (small knife because the big brother Katana had "刀" written on it)
    Last edited by humanbeing; 07-05-2012 at 09:37 PM.

3. #3 Re: QingQi U-Zeal (轻骑 125-3B): Back to the Basics 
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    Suzuki GS125 is a legend model in China. Qinqqi used assembled from CKD . The street term in North = 鈴木王 while Yue-spaeking area (Guangdong/ Guangxi) = 刀仔 (small knife because the big brother Kanata had "刀" written on it)
    It is. well, so it means I got Suzuki quality without paying the premium :)

4. #4 Re: QingQi U-Zeal (轻骑 125-3B): Back to the Basics 
    Although the riding position isn't that great, a Shaanxi guy finish a Tibet round trip on this model.
    http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/view...uthorid=456775 | http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/view...uthorid=456775

5. #5 Re: QingQi U-Zeal (轻骑 125-3B): Back to the Basics 
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    Although the riding position isn't that great, a Shaanxi guy finish a Tibet round trip on this model.
    http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/view...uthorid=456775 | http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/view...uthorid=456775
    I would assume it's possible. Besides, it's not that it's bad. It's just weird. Actually moving closer to the tank solves it. Or most of it.

6. #6 Re: QingQi U-Zeal (轻骑 125-3B): Back to the Basics 
    Nice choice for a commuter, well done! You're very lucky to live in one of the few cities to still allow bikes.

That weird thing under the tank is a device that sends exhaust gases back into the engine to reduce emissions, i think. I can't remember what it's called. Some people remove them to 'release the power' but i doubt you'd notice any difference.

Happy riding!

7. #7 Re: QingQi U-Zeal (轻骑 125-3B): Back to the Basics 
    http://www.globalsuzuki.com/corp_inf...seas/asia.html

“Everyone knows that” as in an assumption of general knowledge.
    “More then we realize” assumes a general lack of knowledge.

Both are examples in the use of logical manipulations…..I wish they would teach the use of logical manipulation to adolescents, then maybe as adults they will then see them in content, in life.

Qingqi is a Suzuki partner in China and that specific design is a product of a joint design exercise, CCW designed the bike. The same bikes are being offered in the UK as an HMC Classic, they are also offered as a brand called SOMOTO and following the ZONTES bikes into the UK market, which cost allot less. Haoijin is behind those, the Monster , Panther and Tiger are actually stylish little bikes.

Last edited by MJH; 11-13-2012 at 05:14 AM.

8. #8 Re: QingQi U-Zeal (轻骑 125-3B): Back to the Basics 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Nice choice for a commuter, well done! You're very lucky to live in one of the few cities to still allow bikes.

That weird thing under the tank is a device that sends exhaust gases back into the engine to reduce emissions, i think. I can't remember what it's called. Some people remove them to 'release the power' but i doubt you'd notice any difference.

Happy riding!
    Thanks for the info on that thing, much appreciated!
    Actually, Nanjing is one of the cities that prohibited bikes so in order to get plates you have to get the old plates, register them in your name, put them on a new bike. It works like in Shanghai and other big cities. It's trouble, it's expensive, but it's still possible and 100% legal.
    The cost will be about 8000 - 8500 yuan.

9. #9 Re: QingQi U-Zeal (轻骑 125-3B): Back to the Basics 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    http://www.globalsuzuki.com/corp_inf...seas/asia.html

“Everyone knows that” as in an assumption of general knowledge.
    “More then we realize” assumes a general lack of knowledge.

Both are examples in the use of logical manipulations…..I wish they would teach the use of logical manipulation to adolescents, then maybe as adults they will then see them in content, in life.

Qingqi is a Suzuki partner in China and that specific design is a product of a joint design exercise, CCW designed the bike.

Wow, thanks for the info! Here Suzuki dealerships represent Suzuki-Haojue joint venture and sell two different brand lineups at the same store. Haojue being the budget one and Suzuki being the "original" one.
    Qingqi in its turn hasn't clearly communicated their partnership with Suzuki to us, customers. Besides, QingQi doesn't have any dealerships in Nanjing that they'd call their own. QingQi dealership I went to near Nanjing (Tangshan city) had no mentioning of Suzuki being their partner or anything.
    Thanks again :)

10. #10 Re: QingQi U-Zeal (轻骑 125-3B): Back to the Basics 
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Halt View Post
    ... their partnership with Suzuki to us, customers. Besides, QingQi doesn't have any dealerships in Nanjing that they'd call their own. QingQi dealership I went to near Nanjing (Tangshan city) had no mentioning of Suzuki being their partner or anything.
    Thanks again :)
    http://www.qssuzuki.com.cn/ is that Qingqi jv 's official site.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast