Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Looking for some advice from the experts 
    So i saw this for 6200rmb with plates, books and not a lot of km's. I have been looking for a basic dual sport for a spring time trip with my brother. I found some knock offs of the Long March, but was worried about the plating for them. So I was thinking I could buy used and already registered. No vanity here so I dont really care about what it looks like, I just want to make sure I can do my trip north of Beijing to mongolia and back. The engine has been changed from a 150 to the 250. Should I be worried about this? Is the price for the bike reasonable? Can I get parts easily for the motor and rest of the bike? What about accessories, panniers, racks, brakes, air filters, clutch and brake cables etc. I humbly ask the gurus in the DnD-s to guide me thru this possible purchase. I am getting my visa sorted finally so I can get my license this week coming up, so I will test for the license week after. If this is good for a trip and i can find repair parts and manuals, I am ready to buy, after getting the valuable information that I hope to recieve from the membership.

Thanks

Scratchndent
    A day in the life, Wake up, ride to work, work, ride home, lock bike and its beer thirty!

2. #2 Re: Looking for some advice from the experts 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Interesting find, but can't tell much of anything from the picture. Can you fill in some details -- make and model for starters! Any identifying marks? VIN? Engine number? What did the seller say this is? What do the papers say in terms of make and model?

And when you say "with plates" does that mean "legal plates"? Will they provide a legal registration booklet and other paperwork? When was it registered and has it been properly reregistered (every two years until its 4th year, then annually after that until its mandatory scrapping date, usually at 11 years)?

You really need to do your homework with a used bike, lest you be left with someone else's headache. The lowish price could be evidence of such perils.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Looking for some advice from the experts 
    004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Interesting find, but can't tell much of anything from the picture. Can you fill in some details -- make and model for starters! Any identifying marks? VIN? Engine number? What did the seller say this is? What do the papers say in terms of make and model?

And when you say "with plates" does that mean "legal plates"? Will they provide a legal registration booklet and other paperwork? When was it registered and has it been properly reregistered (every two years until its 4th year, then annually after that until its mandatory scrapping date, usually at 11 years)?

You really need to do your homework with a used bike, lest you be left with someone else's headache. The lowish price could be evidence of such perils.

Cheers!
    So i saw it yesterday, looks very well maintained and I took some pictures of the books, and the plate that is riveted to the head tube-fork mount and the numbers on the engine, I will attach them and if someone can decipher them for me that would be greatly appreciated. The guy is buying a BMW x series for a long trip and this thing is in really great shape, let me know what you think.
    A day in the life, Wake up, ride to work, work, ride home, lock bike and its beer thirty!

4. #4 Re: Looking for some advice from the experts 
    010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchndent View Post
    004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg

So i saw it yesterday, looks very well maintained and I took some pictures of the books, and the plate that is riveted to the head tube-fork mount and the numbers on the engine, I will attach them and if someone can decipher them for me that would be greatly appreciated. The guy is buying a BMW x series for a long trip and this thing is in really great shape, let me know what you think.
    009.jpgSorry about the mess of the pictures upload, i am some kind of monkey when it comes to a computer

5. #5 Re: Looking for some advice from the experts 
    015.jpgLast one I promise, anyone?? Bueller?? bueller?

6. #6 Re: Looking for some advice from the experts 
    For 6500 rmb you can get a new 150 Jailing dirt bike, blue or red. of course no plates..but new,,,pay 10percent tax and plate cost is very small as is mandatory insurance.

7. #7 Re: Looking for some advice from the experts 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi S&D

You owe me a free pizza!

There is something un-kosher about this bike.

1) I thought he said he changed the engine? Well, the stamped number on the engine case is what is in the Green Book. So he either didn't change the engine, or he faked the book (very easy). Perhaps he changed the jug, but that would definitely raise concerns unless the guy REALLY knows what he is doing. Frankly, though, even changing an entire engine is no small feat for most people. And it is also relatively pricy.

2) Whoa nelly - the rivited serial plate shows an April 2012 manufacture date - WTF? The green book says April 2011 manufacture date, and it has an October 2011 initial registration.

Frankly, when I first saw this, I recalled seeing the guy's original ad on the well-known local website (been up twice, first one expired) ... and also recalled thinking "hmmm, something ain't right here" (but didn't really know what). I remember thinking, "why would the guy change out the engine on a legal, little bike - F's up the engine number"

I also thought about Fahni's Jialing 150, and how that bike has served him well. I think he paid about the same with a legal B plate. I've ridden around with Fahni and that little 150 seems to be a decent, inexpensive bike.

If I get a free super-Deluxe pizza, I'll find you a bike on 58.com

Cheers

8. #8 Re: Looking for some advice from the experts 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Hi S&D

You owe me a free pizza!

There is something un-kosher about this bike.

1) I thought he said he changed the engine? Well, the stamped number on the engine case is what is in the Green Book. So he either didn't change the engine, or he faked the book (very easy). Perhaps he changed the jug, but that would definitely raise concerns unless the guy REALLY knows what he is doing. Frankly, though, even changing an entire engine is no small feat for most people. And it is also relatively pricy.

2) Whoa nelly - the rivited serial plate shows an April 2012 manufacture date - WTF? The green book says April 2011 manufacture date, and it has an October 2011 initial registration.

Frankly, when I first saw this, I recalled seeing the guy's original ad on the well-known local website (been up twice, first one expired) ... and also recalled thinking "hmmm, something ain't right here" (but didn't really know what). I remember thinking, "why would the guy change out the engine on a legal, little bike - F's up the engine number"

I also thought about Fahni's Jialing 150, and how that bike has served him well. I think he paid about the same with a legal B plate. I've ridden around with Fahni and that little 150 seems to be a decent, inexpensive bike.

If I get a free super-Deluxe pizza, I'll find you a bike on 58.com

Cheers
    Free Pizza done!

When i talked to the guy from Beijing Riders, the work was done there and apparently pretty well, all the pieces are in the right place and no leaks or other visible issues. The guy that owns the bike changed-something about the engine, you are probably right the jug for the added displacement. I am sure that I want at least a 250, I am kind of a lanky fat bastard, so having the extra ummph would be a must have. Color is not a deal breaker either, I just want reliable and repairable. I have cash at the ready so if you find something that is the ticket then give me a call 15101171905, and then you can come in for your Pizza, but make sure you call me ahead, I have to be there to sign the bill, thanks for the insight you are a wealth of knowlege.

Marty

9. #9 Re: Looking for some advice from the experts 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchndent View Post
    ... I am kind of a lanky fat bastard ...
    Fahni is definitely not a little guy, and there is also another MCM member who stands well over 6 feet, and he likes his JL 150.

Seriously, try out one of the JL 150s ... I think you'd be surprised. Fahni has come with Barry and I (we were riding 600s) and Fahni had no trouble, at all, keeping up.

Did a quick search, here is one that seems not too bad:

http://bj.58.com/danche/10364392882948x.shtml

It is in Pingu, but I am there often riding around (nice rides out there). B-plated, 1,000 kms, and an asking price of 5200 rmb.

The Jialing dealer (Goldenport) usually has one or two 150s kicking around to check out size.

Glad I got in for the free pizza before Fahni logged in!

10. #10 Re: Looking for some advice from the experts 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Fahni is definitely not a little guy, and there is also another MCM member who stands well over 6 feet, and he likes his JL 150.

Seriously, try out one of the JL 150s ... I think you'd be surprised. Fahni has come with Barry and I (we were riding 600s) and Fahni had no trouble, at all, keeping up.

Did a quick search, here is one that seems not too bad:

http://bj.58.com/danche/10364392882948x.shtml

It is in Pingu, but I am there often riding around (nice rides out there). B-plated, 1,000 kms, and an asking price of 5200 rmb.

The Jialing dealer (Goldenport) usually has one or two 150s kicking around to check out size.

Glad I got in for the free pizza before Fahni logged in!

Any chance a little bribery will get a guy with so much knowlege to take a look at it for me? Pizza, Beers what would it take? I like that one my other bike is black so that would be kinda cool to have 2 black cycles. I am off on Tuesdays, but I can pretty much take off whenever I need to, Maybe a meet up at some point and get some very professional advice about it, i will bring cash so if its worth it then I can just pay for it and get some agency to take care of the registration. What do you think? Are you interested??

Marty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast