Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: New CF Moto TR650 
    ok...so I found it is very easy....not by reading the manual in chinese...how to adjust the lights...CFMoto did a great job by placing knobs behind the headlight assembly which can be reached by putting my hand down in front of the handlebars...very cool
    not tested yet but I hope going around corners will be better n the mountains.. countersteering makes it worse..no?

2. #12 Re: New CF Moto TR650 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    any updates on your 650TR? Have you upgraded anything yet? You mentioned that the LED's were not very bright, are you referring to the front LED's built into the headlight housing? I rode my Jetmax down to Taizhou last week, nice fine day to visit the CFMoto Zhejiang agent shop specifically to see the 650TR in the flesh. It was shorter and nicer ride than going to visit CFMoto factory in Hangzhou. I must say I did like the 650TR, but found that there is not really any place to mount a centre stand even if removing the exhaust collector box with an slimmer after market system. The engine is attached and hangs from the frame, meaning from what I could tell laying on the shop floor on my back and looking under the bike that the engine is a stressed member of the frame. Overall fit and finish were nice. There's no trip meter and the rear side cases/bags cannot be removed without undoing bolts, which is a pity. The front screen is non-adjustable, and seems to sit a little too low for my liking. Not being able to fit a centre stand was and is the deal breaker for me. YMMV.

3. #13 Re: New CF Moto TR650 
    yes no centerstand, if i put the kick stand down it cuts the motor, which I like. I guess center stand adds weight. It seems heavy as it is. I like the low front, the mirrors under the bars is 'brilliant' very easy to use/see and no, Mikeymouse looking mirrors sticking up in the air...so to speak.
    I like the motor it is very smooth as is shifting and the like. It draw attention from every Chinese for kilometers around. The sound of the motor is enchanting for motor lovers...unique like ferrari.
    I ve had it on some dirt road sections...not of my choice..but this is china...and it did well.
    yes boxes do not come off easily,,,but i like the storage without a doubt. the top boxes on motorcycles do bounce,,,these do not....so i like that.
    the headlights are very bright...., leds are just a trim...i run with the lights on for saftety...though it confuses the hell out the chinese...'you wasting energy''''
    go figure
    If you can work it out...go to Guangzhou in October to the Canton Fair,,,you must register on line,,,,make up a company in your home country ect...its free and every motorcycle chinese manufacture is there including CFMoto to check out all the possiblities in China and talk to the factory....they speak english..
    let me know if you are wanting to go

4. #14 Re: New CF Moto TR650 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Canton Fair... hmmm maybe... I already talk with a couple of people in CFMoto... I have been to the factory in Hangzhou... also know one marketing guy who has left there, but still has good relations with boss of CFMoto. Pity though the marketing guy is not a motorcycle freak, so any detail I talk with him about goes way over his head...

5. #15 Re: New CF Moto TR650 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Canton Fair... hmmm maybe... I already talk with a couple of people in CFMoto... I have been to the factory in Hangzhou... also know one marketing guy who has left there, but still has good relations with boss of CFMoto. Pity though the marketing guy is not a motorcycle freak, so any detail I talk with him about goes way over his head...
    I spoke with Tom from CFMoto..he speaks English very well and is involved in export sales..he was at the fair last spring. The export price is half the cost of buying here in china..but of course the bike or bikes are in china..shipping, import fees transportation in the foreign country...dept of transporation etc...adds up
    i bought direct from factory still same price as i had visited in April.
    they have a chief test driver there whom i met, he could help you..but no english.
    from a dead stop he put the TR straight up in the air and continued down the road like that.

6. #16 Re: New CF Moto TR650 
    Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    What are your views on the construction quality and paint? How have you found the rear luggage cases?
    Can they be removed?
    Will the rear luggage rack take a topbox if one wanted to mount one?
    How about the lack of a centre stand especially when it comes to chain maintenance time, or wanting to remove the rear wheel?
    The fit and finish of the plastics?
    I'd assume yours is the first series seeing as you ordered 3 months ago. Any teething problems or recall?
    Any storage under the seat?
    How about the tupperware up front, any small stowage compartments up there?
    What's involved in the tupperware removal?
    Any MP3/FM receiver fitted like on the CF250T-VIP or Jetmax?
    How about the seat, comfy for all day riding or no? Hows the front screen go with wind buffeting etc?

I'm looking forward to your reports moving forward.

Are you aware that CFMoto will be manufacturing a adventure/dual purpose bike based on the 650 engine... so that will round out the offerings with a naked 650NK, touring 650TR and an 650 adventurer...

If one bought 3 of the 650TR's here there'd also be a favourable deal (ex factory not from a dealer). I know that for a fact. But as you say in many markets abroad there'd be additional costs e.g. duties etc. And as most know America still represents the biggest market especially in motorcycles (though not scooters), which is why many items/accessories I want to buy for any one of my bikes can be bought in America for around half the cost I can get in OZ/NZ.

We have really enjoyed riding the TR650 around China... about 12000 kms, through Tibet, Qinghai. The story and bike review at

www.bigbiketrip.net (need use vpn if you are in China)
    www.weibo.com/bigbiketrip

Rupert & Fanny
    South Africa to China
    Last edited by rupertu; 11-15-2012 at 02:12 PM.

7. #17 Re: New CF Moto TR650 
    Maximus
    Both bikes are for sale now.... I am presently writing a technical appraisal of bikes and that will address all the points raised. Looking forward to the adventure model next year that we hope to ride from Alaska to Chile.

Quote Originally Posted by rupertu View Post
    We have really enjoyed riding the TR650 around China... about 12000 kms, through Tibet, Qinghai. The story and bike review at

www.bigbiketrip.net

Rupert & Fanny
    South Africa to China

8. #18 Re: New CF Moto TR650 
    Quote Originally Posted by rupertu View Post

www.bigbiketrip.net

Rupert & Fanny
    South Africa to China
    I'm in awe of what you accomplished, fantastic trip report. I can't believe that HK residence card trick got you through Tibet. I thought about it many times, but assumed it wouldn't work for a white guy.

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #19 Re: New CF Moto TR650 
    Maximus
    Thanks for support and encouragement ... we enjoyed the trip very much. As a diehard KTM fan and previous owner of a racing spec R1 and a British spec Suzuki Hayabusa (among 30 odd other bikes in my life) I was not expecting much from the CFMoto TR 650. I read some poor reviews which were based on nothing except that it looked like a copy of a Honda/kawasaki and were made in China... but we rode the bikes on every surface China has to offer and they were great. Very sweet engine, nice balance, reliable and enjoyable easy riding.... very impressed and at the price excellent value for money. If the engine is put in an good adventure bike (I am sure KTM will be involved) then its going to be an affordable round the worlder and fill a gap left and never replaced by that iconic adventure twin from Honda (The Africa Twin). I am a big Kawasaki KLR fan too, and there is a very good argument for taking a simple 650 thumper to the back end of beyond, but a twin offers a smoother more powerful ride and so I guess we are all waiting to see if KTM make a 800 twin or use the CFmoto 650 engine to produce the bike we are all waiting for. A big quantum leap in Chinese bike manufacturing for sure... now all we need is for the Chinese authorities to allow bikes on highways and price motorcycle licence plates at appropriate prices. I am sure it will happen.

566e0d7bgw1dx9vvkpvy9j.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I'm in awe of what you accomplished, fantastic trip report. I can't believe that HK residence card trick got you through Tibet. I thought about it many times, but assumed it wouldn't work for a white guy.

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #20 Re: New CF Moto TR650 
    The links you provided don't work so well. Would you like to put your own thread under 'ride reports'?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast