Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 carburettor needs adjusted 
    C-Moto Regular
    I'm thinking about a new $50 carburettor, carburator for my QH250GY Hi-Bird. This one seems to be fine but it has too be out of adjustment. The one on the bike now is a PZ30 forgot the brand name. I was wondering if somebody would tell me how to adjust the carburator. Right now it's something like 2 or 2 1/2 turns out from seated. Runs fair but does bog down instead of just burning the gas like gas is flamable. May need more air, or mixed better. I have no idea what screws to turn, I had help from the internet in getting it that far. Raised or lowered the needles c-clip. Lowered it I think to the bottom notch. Ebay has my carb for $30 plus shipping, and been putting it off for awhile, but going to get it pretty soon. So does anybody know an easy way to adjust it pretty quickly?

I can spray carburator cleaner in it no problem, I can add sea foam to it too. But I was wanting to adjust it as close to correct as possible if I could get some help.

Thanks,
    Stacy

2. #2 Re: carburettor needs adjusted 
    C-Moto Noob
    In my experience just using a carb spray alone isn't very effective. I would suggest you completely remove/unbolt the carb from you bike and give it a thorough cleaning which might involve some further disassembly. very important that you locate and clean the jets of the carb which are the most common areas that get gunked up every year or so. you can use carb cleaner for the whole job. once it's back on the bike start it up and then make adjustments to the idle speed as necessary. should be pretty obvious which screw (usually backed by a spring) controls the idle speed and a small adjustment with a screw driver can make a big difference between to fast (rich) and too slow (to lean / bogging down)

-Mico

3. #3 Re: carburettor needs adjusted 
    C-Moto Regular
    How can you tell if to rich or to lean, and what direction with the screw changes it? In changes air/gas to rich or lean? It bogs down so is that to lean? I've read one of the two can damage the engine if to much. So could I please get a detailed description.

Thanks

4. #4 Re: carburettor needs adjusted 
    Tune up without proper tools, would require skill mechanic.
    Best is to use stock carb and adjust as per the owner manual.
    If you disassembly and clean all part, assembly back and cant adjust. Best and easiest is to buy new one.

All my vehicle using carb, I do the peak tune.
    1/ Engine at normal operating temp, engine run as normal not bobbing or so.
    2/ Turn idle screw to get 2000-2500 rpm
    3/ Turn air screw both way, stop where you get highest rpm. While turning if engine to high or low you can adjust #2
    4/ Adjust #2 to get rpm within spec

Current bike....2011 M-Bike JL200GY-2C
    New Hobby: Photograph with Sony A500 + Minolta 50/1.4 - 28/2.8 - Zoom 80-200 APO G NEX5n + Most vintage German manual lenses i.e. Carl Zeiss Jena, Schneider Kreutznach, Enna Munchen, ISCO Gottingen, Steinheil, Voigtlander, Paxatte Staeble, Elmar & Elmarit, Meyer Gorlitz, Roeschlein Kreuznach, Rollei, Edixa, Pentacon, Schacht Ulm, Exakta, and enjoy life