Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Greetings From California 
    C-Moto Noob
    Greeting My China Moto Members!

I am happy to have found this forum and look forward to participating in your discussions and hopefully going for a ride

I will be moving to Shanghai sometime in 2013 and because riding is such a large part of our life, I have been researching track days which is what led me to this forum. I read a few posts so I do know they are available - which is GREAT news! If any of you can tell me how it all works (organizers, cost etc.), I will be grateful. Shanghai International looks awesome and I read mixed reviews about Tianma. I will be bringing my own gear but not my bike? Do they rent bikes at the track or do I need to buy one there? I see BG-Performance has instructional classes and the rental is RMB 900 per 20 minute session... With the session that's RMB 1000 per session... is that correct?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

I hope to meet and ride with you once I arrive.

Dinoblade

2. #2 Re: Greetings From California 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear DB,

Welcome to MCM and to China. Are you saying you ONLY ride on the track in California -- a state with more brilliant uncrowded rural riding than anywhere else on the planet? China has brilliant riding too, but it's not in or even near Shanghai, at least not right out your back door as in California. But it's definitely worth having a plated bike here, rather than just a track bike. Oh, and don't even think about bringing your bike here. Virtually impossible. And if you are keen to have a track bike, there are tons of choices of bikes that are just fine on the track but cannot be licensed for the road.

If you want to ride China, plan on getting a plated bike here -- likely not something that would be much fun on a track. And if track riding is your thing, you'll find plenty of folks here who can help you find what you need to get started.

Where are you in California, and what kind of riding do you do, and on what?

Cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Greetings From California 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Euphonius,

Thank you for responding and your kind welcoming. No, I'm NOT saying I ONLY ride the track - I just LOVE riding the track. It's where I can ride my bike anywhere close to what is was designed for. Dropping into a corner hanging of the bike with my knee on the ground (or not) with no real dangers other than rider error is Heaven for me. When not on the track I ride local canyons almost every weekend (mornings) and often a cruise along the coast or back to the canyon in the afternoon. As you mentioned we have amazing riding here in California so I try to enjoy as much of it as possible. I love being on the bike. When not on a motor bike I like riding my road or mountain bike... love bikes. If you weren't born with wings - ride a bike! You can understand when I learned I would be going to Shanghai my first thought was GREAT - but where and I going to ride??? I heard bringing my bike was impossible and I wouldn't do it if I could. It's just nice to know riding both track and road there is possible and I appreciate you input.

I ride a 2011 Honda CBR 1000RR (the one in my profile picture) and 2006 Yamaha Star Stratoliner S. My wife rides a Kawasaki Ninja 250R but is ready to move up to a 600. She rides track too! We live in Orange County near Laguna Beach. We have a couple of really nice canyons here, Ortega Hwy and Palomar Mountain are two of my favorites. Mulholland and Angeles Crest Hwy are two others but a little far so I don't go as much(on the sport bike anyway).

What type of riding to you do in China? What's it like outside the city?

Thanks again for your message!

Best,

Dinoblade