Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The SunL Kung Fu's I saw in December '07 in Dallas had VINs that started "L8Y". This decodes as manufacturer Shanghai Shenke Motorcycle Company.

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    I wouldn't recommend it. Too many inconsistencies in the specs as given by the various resellers:

Branded as SUNL, others label it as CRUISER, others as KUNG FU (stupid name for a start).

Top speed: some say 70 some 80, yet speedo appears to be red-lined at 60 mph. Maker claims 68.4 mph, now that's precise...

Top revs: 7300, others claim 7800 and yet the tachometer is red-lined at 10,000 rpm...crap attention to detail on something so simple...On this site you can also see that although the ignition is off the rev-counter needle has stuck on, on a new bike, that's a good start.

They couldn't even be bothered to remove the plastic protector from the seat for the publicity photos. It's only a trivial point, but it shows lack of commitment to show the bike at its best:
    http://texoticmotorsports.com/id22.html

This dealer also wants $2150 for it, a $352 difference with the other.

They claim it has ABS. It's nothing of the sort. (it's one of those load relief valves that are nothing but trouble. A totally discredited method of avoiding front wheel lock-up, it simply dumps 50% of your front braking effort and at worst can jam up with disastrous consequences).

It appears to be a mass of disparate iron bits (one importer describes ir as "enforced steel" !!) covered up with cheapo plastic panels that we all know are short-lived on Chinese bikes. The windscreen looks particularly dodgy.

They claim that the warranty is "incredible": 12 months PARTS ONLY for the engine, 30 days for the rest of the bike...Parts are the least of your problems if you're a competent mechanic able to do the work yourself. They're cheap on Chinese bikes, whereas the labour charges are the same whatever make you buy.
    What they're really saying is that they'll replace a badly-made, sub-standard part that has failed with a similarly badly-made, substandard part.

The makers web site: http://www.shenkemotor.com/SKBMW250.html claims 68.4 mph and a gearbox with 5 speeds AND reverse. They even have the cheek to call the bike a SKBMW250 (note the BMW bit) but leave the tank clear of their name to enable any importer to place their own. Curiously they omit to say who makes the engine or give us a engine type number like other makers. This leads me to believe it's not made by anyone reputable, otherwise they would boast about it. I would.

Just my 2 cents worth of gut feeling.
    Last edited by forchetto; 12-30-2008 at 07:06 PM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

No reason to be shy Forchetto. Just tell us how you REALLY feel.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    No reason to be shy Forchetto. Just tell us how you REALLY feel.

CC
    Don't mention it. I'm in one of those vitriolic moods today. Something to do with my abortive attempt to change the final transmission on the Qingqi from 428 chain to 520 and raise the gearing a little at the same time.

It ended up as a dismal failure...If anyone wants to know why I'll tell them, but it was a depressing experience.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

Sorry to hear about that. The 200GY's in China have 520's so I'm not sure why they're spec'd at 428 in Europe.

Can anyone confirm what the QLinks in the US use?

What happened and what gearing changes were you hoping to make?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

6. #16 Qingqi QM200GY-BA 428 to 520 chain conversion 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Basically the Qingqi's engine is not quite the equivalent of the Suzuki DR200 as we all believe. At least not in the final transmission components. The countershaft, for example, is from the TS125 range, so the engine sprocket fitting is totally different. DR200 components can not be used.

I'll prepare one of my soporific and long-winded write-ups in a new thread in the "Maintenance and mods" section so as to warn others.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    BTW I did see one of these in traffic in Dallas a few months back.

PJ

Quote Originally Posted by PresterJohn View Post
    BTW I did see one of these in traffic in Dallas a few months back.

PJ
    I bet it was someone from SUNL.

Forchetto is correct in his warning (of the SUNL, and the Qingqi, too) in that SUNL doesn't have a good reputation in the US at all (his Qingqi, on the other hand, has a very good reputation, but now one has to worry about changing out the chains...)

C-Moto Not-so-Noob

Just noticed the speedo needle is on the wrong side of the pin...ha ha..im staying away from this crate!

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    LOL...well spotted. Bodes well for future reliability. Maybe the instruments can't stand the G forces generated by this bike and simply explode.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12