Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    I am looking to get a new bike in Shanghai for both weekend use and longer touring. I am pretty keen on the idea of getting a Jialing Sidecar outfit, but I would not want the sidecar attached all the time. I realise that it is an integrated frame and so removing the sidecar isn't going to be a straight forward job, but I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this?

I have previously owned a Triumph Bonneville with a Watsonian Sidecar (see below) and so have a bit of experience with removable outfits so I am thinking that there should be a way of separating the Jialing and then customising a 3 or 4 bracket mounting system.

I am assuming the braking system and electrical loom would need some modifying as well for ease of separation and reattachment.

Any suggestions, concerns, help in this regard would be much appreciated!?!

Furthermore, I went to see LZD today about buying one and he seemed pretty slow to deal with so if anyone has a direct contact with some sales at Jialing then their details would be much appreciated. Also, what is the standard time frame for getting one ordered? I really need to get one sorted for a trip at the end of September. Do people reckon that this is feasible?

If anyone had an outfit they are looking to sell please pm me!

IMG_1499.jpg
    Shanghai
    2012 Jialing JH600B-A (Shanghai) 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC (UK)
    2003 Hyosung Aquila 125 (UK) 200? Yamaha YBR 125 (Yangshuo)
    2010 Triumph Bonneville A2 (sold)

2. #2 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    she's a beauty mate, good luck with the hunt!

3. #3 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    you will need a solution for the steered sidecar wheel. the steering is realized by cable from bike steering head to sidecar.
    i can imagine to block sidecar steering should be considerable.
    check also if the sidecar wheel is in the brake circut. cant remember right now.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #4 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tombaxers View Post
    I am pretty keen on the idea of getting a Jialing Sidecar outfit, but I would not want the sidecar attached all the time. I realise that it is an integrated frame and so removing the sidecar isn't going to be a straight forward job, but I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this?
    Picked up our JL JH600B-A last Thursday and put 200k's on it after getting the temporary plate on Saturday morning.
    The Jialing JH600B-A has four forward gears and one reverse (two wheel JH600 = 5 forward gears) and the sidecar rig is geared quite low to operate as a two wheeled bike in my personal opinion (actually while crusising at 4000rpm / 70k's I am always trying to shift into 5th. gear).
    Looking extensively at the sidecar rig in our garage for a few days, its quite a job to detach / attach the sidecar.

Furthermore, I went to see LZD today about buying one and he seemed pretty slow to deal with so if anyone has a direct contact with some sales at Jialing then their details would be much appreciated. Also, what is the standard time frame for getting one ordered? I really need to get one sorted for a trip at the end of September. Do people reckon that this is feasible?
    During pick-up of the sidecar rig on Thursday we were told ours was the last one from the factory for 3-6 month as they relocate the factory (JL-JH600B-A sidecars / not the two wheeled version), don't know they told us the whole story as TIC = This Is China! comes into play every other day.
    As always, check China's favourite shopping place = TAOBAO (posted a link somewhere).

5. #5 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    LZD once told me that the three wheeler is licensed as just that and would not be legal if the sidecar were removed. Also, please note the square profile of the tires; those would nor corner well at all if you were leaning to turn.

In my humble opinion, the JH600B is not going to serve you well as a "convertible" bike.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    LZD once told me that the three wheeler is licensed as just that and would not be legal if the sidecar were removed. Also, please note the square profile of the tires; those would nor corner well at all if you were leaning to turn.

In my humble opinion, the JH600B is not going to serve you well as a "convertible" bike.

Cheers!
    100% spot on about tyres and rego! 'nuff said......

7. #7 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    .....I am thinking that there should be a way of separating the Jialing and then customising a 3 or 4 bracket mounting system. I am assuming the braking system and electrical loom would need some modifying as well for ease of separation and reattachment.
    So you are looking a the Jialing and want the verstility of both a 2-wheel verson and a sidecar version.
    If separating the sidecar on the JB600 proves difficult due to the integrated frame, 3rd wheel steering mechanism, sprockets/gearing, etc.
    Why not look into fabricating a sidecar for the JH600 (simliar to the kit on your Bonneville)? Sure there are sidecar fabricators around Shanghai who can rig this this together for you.

Understand you are pressed for time, but this may prove easier than actually reengineernig the JB.

Maybe Nostalgie has something to say on this....

8. #8 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post
    Why not look into fabricating a sidecar for the JH600 (simliar to the kit on your Bonneville)? Sure there are sidecar fabricators around Shanghai who can rig this this together for you.
    legal issues (rego) come into play as it's either a sidecar or a 2-wheel bike...... TIC = This Is China!

Jim Bryant (Beijing) did a few sidecar rig conversions (BMW / HD), get in touch with him: http://www.bmwsidecar.com

9. #9 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    TB-Racing, Euphonius, Shuben, Motokai, many thanks all of you for the informed feedback on this!

I have decided to bite the bullet and have settled for a fulltime 3-wheeler and placed a deposit with Jialing on Monday for a Black Edition JH600B-A . They claim (they being a Mr Liu with Weixin ID: motor-online (摩界书生)) that they can definitely get it ready for collection by the 20th September, which will give me just over a week to fly out to Chongqing and hopefully get it on the train to Dunhuang where we are intending on beginning the trip around the 29th Sep. Can I trust these guys to meet this deadline?

TB-Racing, I also asked about the moving of the factory and he said they are moving but the old factory is still open and they still have stock of parts to build new ones from. My concern here is that having read various long MCM threads about Jialing there is the potential for them to use old parts on the bike build. I have already made very sure that it will be the 3.0 ECU. Do you guys think this concern warranted or not? If so, can I ask you guys to come up with a list of parts that I should be looking out for that are "old" editions.

In fact I had already placed the deposit when I came across and hauled my way through the 42 page thread on the Stalling and Cut-Out issues, which made for some pretty gruesome reading, but hopefully that all seems to have been settled no?

Pfaelzer's 'My new JH600' thread with all the mods made for much better reading and am loving the fact that some of you guys have been putting so much time and effort to improving Chinamotos.

Cheers for now, and I will keep this updated with my experiences with Jialing (ohh I am relishing it from what I have read to date!), the new bike (hopefully if it arrives in time) and a ride report of it's first proper outing. Which incidentally, seeing as I will have essentially no time at all to make the necessary mods or upgrades to make the outfit touring worthy I would very much appreciate any feedback from you guys about what is gonna be the most important things to change-out/ modify and also a list of spare parts that I should be considering taking with me for a 2 week all terrain trip. Also, I am gonna shoot for temporary Chongqing plates for the duration of the trip and sort Shanghai out in due course... does this sound like it'll work?

Very excited to finally be getting sorted with wheels up here in Shanghai, but I have this nagging feeling that I don't end up regretting this decision and wish I had gone with one of Pikey Tom's trusty Yinggangs or a CFMoto both with their exemplary new service records!
    Shanghai
    2012 Jialing JH600B-A (Shanghai) 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC (UK)
    2003 Hyosung Aquila 125 (UK) 200? Yamaha YBR 125 (Yangshuo)
    2010 Triumph Bonneville A2 (sold)

10. #10 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Tom,

Greetings and congrats on pulling the trigger. I think you'll get what you want and will be pleased with the outcome. Here's why:

First, Jialing makes far, far more JH600Bs than they do two-wheelers, selling them by the thousands to the military and police. Unlike the JH600A, which is made only as orders come in, I believe they do actual production runs for the B.

Second, Jialing does seem to have overcome the stalling issues with the "A" series, and the 3.0 ECU is central to this build. The poor performance and service problems some of us were having had to do entirely with flaws in the earlier 2.0 build, and Jialing's reluctance to admit to these problems and repair them. In their minds, the A build solved the problems, and their minds don't have a lot of room for the complaints of buyers of earlier builds.

Third, just looking at the record, Jialing does not have a history of missing delivery promises. I can't remember anyone having problems with delayed delivery. I, too, flew up to Chongqing to fetch mine, and it was ready when they said it would be. Production is the one thing Jialing seems to do well. Just forget about marketing and service.....

I'm also surprised that you were able to order the bike in black. In the past, to my knowledge, they offered the B in all colors as long as they were PLA green.

Apart from new owner TB-Racing, there are several JH600B-As in use here in Shanghai, if you'd like to consult further about what you are getting into. I also have contacts for the key guys in Chongqing. It would be great if you could meet them during your visit. I can PM these to you if you like.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast