Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tombaxers View Post
    Also, I am gonna shoot for temporary Chongqing plates for the duration of the trip and sort Shanghai out in due course... does this sound like it'll work?
    JL JH600B's can not be plated in Shanghai (A/B/C license-registration) and rego only possible for Chinese (foreigners not allowed to register sidecars in Shanghai according to Mr.Fan / JL LZD). We had the official JL invoice made out to the Chinese person the bike gets registered to and we are going for registration and licensing next week once I am back in Shanghai, more later......

2. #12 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    JL JH600B's can not be plated in Shanghai (A/B/C license-registration) and rego only possible for Chinese (foreigners not allowed to register sidecars in Shanghai according to Mr.Fan / JL LZD). We had the official JL invoice made out to the Chinese person the bike gets registered to and we are going for registration and licensing next week once I am back in Shanghai, more later......
    Interesting this, sounds like another ballache to overcome. I am wondering if getting a Shanghai Residence Card ('B' Permit) that I believe Euphonius posted on a few years back would solve this problem. As far as I remember this 'B' permit essentially makes us foreigners into born & bred locals on paper. I'd be keen to get Euphonius's takes on this? I doubt that Mr.Fan or LZD would know if this would work, so which official funloving Government Bureau do you reckon I would need to approach to find out?
    Shanghai
    2012 Jialing JH600B-A (Shanghai) 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC (UK)
    2003 Hyosung Aquila 125 (UK) 200? Yamaha YBR 125 (Yangshuo)
    2010 Triumph Bonneville A2 (sold)

3. #13 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    Banned
    Sorry, have no idea how the Shanghai Residence Card ('B' Permit)" could be used or would be helpful for vehicle registration. We checked into Shanghai "C" company registration but were told its a no go.As I will use the bike mostly in the Shanghai suburbs and in other provinces a legit plate / ergo somewhere will do (Huzhou / Zhejiang arranged by LZD / Fan).

Had no problems at all to register my 2-wheel import bike in my name in Shanghai last November, took the dealer a week and all paperwork / insurance is in my name and easy to export the bike later on if needed.

4. #14 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

Greetings and congrats on pulling the trigger. I think you'll get what you want and will be pleased with the outcome.
    Very glad to hear it!

I'm also surprised that you were able to order the bike in black. In the past, to my knowledge, they offered the B in all colors as long as they were PLA green.
    If you go to Jialing's official sales page on Taobao here, you will see that they are offering the black one as standard here. The whole outfit looks fairly aggressive in the PLA green or camouflage so I thought black could look a little better, anyhow, we will see! I've got a black helmet and black kit, so Nightrider aside I'm gonna have to get some 3M hi-vis stickers onto something so I get seen a bit more easily.

Apart from new owner TB-Racing, there are several JH600B-As in use here in Shanghai, if you'd like to consult further about what you are getting into. I also have contacts for the key guys in Chongqing. It would be great if you could meet them during your visit. I can PM these to you if you like.
    Yes please, that would be much appreciated.!

Cheers,
    Tommy
    Shanghai

5. #15 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Tom,

When I registered my JH600 back in 2010, it was the first of its kind in Shanghai. So there was a special procedure to register the model with the Shanghai Vehicle Management Bureau, and this required an exchange of paperwork with the factory detailing the model's specifications. Because my bike was the first specimen to be registered under that model category, we went through a special procedure to ensure that my bike matched the dimensions and other specifications listed in the model description. The problem with the JH600B is that Shanghai's Vehicle Management Bureau apparently has not yet agreed to add this model to the list of bikes that can be legally registered here.

In other words, this has nothing to do with you and your legal status, and has everything to do with the Shanghai authorities' willingness to allow this model of sidecar bike to be registered in Shanghai. In the past, the CJ750 was on the list of registrable bikes in Shanghai, but was delisted a couple of years ago. For this reason, Xiao Fan now has to go to Hubei for plates that are legal but not particularly welcome in Shanghai, especially inside the Zhongshan Ring. Liu Zhidong is definitely on top of this, though I do not think he ever deals directly with the Vehicle Management Bureau; rather, he deals with freelance fixers at the VMB who keep their finger on the pulse of what's allowed and what's not.

So the B Zheng is not a magic bullet. It was useful a couple of years ago when the VMB was not accepting your local police Temporary Registration Certificate as a legal link between your (foreign) passport name and your Chinese name.

I have another friend, a senior cop who is also a CJ750 fanatic, who at a minimum should be able to give me an update on whether the JH600B is on or will be added to the list of registrable bikes. Whether he can make it rain is another matter.

Finally, I think recent Shanghai-based buyers of the JH600B have been finding "registrations of convenience" in Huzhou and other nearby cities in Zhejiang or Jiangsu, and have reported little or no problem riding inside Shanghai, though they probably steer clear of the inner ring. Hubei plates would make me a bit nervous, since so many of these are fake.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #16 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    Wow, that would be a real buzz kill if they finally got the JiaLing to a real product level and then it was off the table as an option for Shanghai riders... 90% of my weekday riding is in the downtown Puxi area.

Tommy - keep us posted on your progress with the JH600B-A.3 I'm also seriously considering an addition to my....herd. Was planning to reach out to LZD this week to check on the options/ pricing / delivery / plates / etc.

Anyone know how tough it is to re-paint or change the color on a bike after it is registered? Fan always says its a hassle but hints that there is a way to do it legally.
    Sam --
    The older I get, the faster I was....
    2006 CJ750 Sidecar / 2012 Ducati MTSPP / 2013 SRX5

7. #17 Re: Jialing JH600B-A Sidecar Removability? 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    TB Racing, do you think I need to get on the case with this and with LZD before I go to Jialing and get the invoice issued so that I can get the paperwork done in the right name in advance of going there? What is the process with LZD? Tell him what you type of paizhao want that he can sort, pay him and receive it? Or is it more complicated than that?

Finally, I think recent Shanghai-based buyers of the JH600B have been finding "registrations of convenience" in Huzhou and other nearby cities in Zhejiang or Jiangsu, and have reported little or no problem riding inside Shanghai, though they probably steer clear of the inner ring. Hubei plates would make me a bit nervous, since so many of these are fake.
    Yep, will definitely need to get something sorted. My plan is to find a simple pull-down door lockup beyond the inner ring to keep as a garage and workshop so outside plates as long as they are real I am hoping should do the job as I will never need or want to ride around downtown. Also thinking of getting my Yama up from Yangshuo to have as a bomb around once the place is sorted.

This garage/ workshop I am going to post separately about to see if anyone is interested in sharing such a place. I already have 2 mates interested, but I want to put some more thought into it first prior to posting.
    Shanghai

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12