Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Looking to buy a good bike for a good price. 
    C-Moto Noob
    I live in Beijing, and I am looking to buy a good bike to use for my 4 year stay. If you have a used or new bike that you are looking to sell/get rid of, just post on this thread or send me a message.
    Thanks! :D

2. #2 Re: Looking to buy a good bike for a good price. 
    Not too many worthwhile 2nd hand bikes around. Personally I'd buy a new Giant ATX and put some fast wide dirt jump tires on it. Should last you pretty well.

3. #3 Re: Looking to buy a good bike for a good price. 
    Yo ZMC, I've been thinking of getting a mountain bike too. Don't really know the biking scene and I'm surprised at how expensive these bikes get.

I'm looking at this one: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...&cm_id=&pm_id= Not the cheapest and not the most expensive, but I'm still left thinking "wtf it's half the price of a HJ150-9!"

I like to think I'd take it out for some fun in the mountains here as well as getting around the city. Any tips or thoughts?

4. #4 Re: Looking to buy a good bike for a good price. 
    That XTC has a frame that is made in Taiwan, thus increasing the price of the whole bike. Cycling has seen a revival over the last year or two, specs have gotten worse and prices have gone up.

It seems to be a problem, not just in China but worldwide that entry level mountain bikes are generally XC (cross country) machines. Supposedly light-weight at the cost of durability so that you can win cardiovascular type cycle races on dirt. The whole problem comes with any bike under around 8,000 RMB isn't really that light and the tires and forks just can't take a beating, cue punctures and leaky forks, creaky drive-trains all in the first year, pretty lame. The smart money would buy a DJ/4X, lasts for years, much more fun and usable over a range of disciplines. Sure an XC bike would be better to win a XC race, but you'd buy a 29 inch wheel carbon fiber machine if you were really serious about that.

A commonly available in China XC bike: (Giant ATX)
    384401_2768166054156_1558082047_32782431_887434963_n.jpg

What I think most riders with a modest budget would be better off riding in China: (Giant STP (Street, Trail, Park))
    2012_Giant_STP.jpg

You might be able to special order an STP at a Giant shop or Tabao has a couple. There aren't many around as Chinese riders hate them because everyone knows the more gears and the lighter the weight the better the bike must be (yeah, right).

5. #5 Re: Looking to buy a good bike for a good price. 
    To be honest, you get what you pay for when I comes to a MTB. You can go cheap and entry level, but if you get the least bit serious then you will ultimately pay more replacing broken or inferior parts, or just wanted to go lighter, then you would have stepping up and buying a bike with a better frame and build in the first place. I am currently riding the Bianchi SOK 29'er, mine is currently set up as a single speed, but can also be set up with a deraileur hanger and run gears. I dont like all the pesky hardware and added maintenance that comes with gears and such so the single speed works for me the best, wash, lube and ride. Now I havent been able to ride alot here, and not at all in the mountains so I dont know that I would be able to ride the single speed in the mountains here, but i used to do it all the time at home, SE US. But I have done several bike builds and I learned the hard way, buy what you want when you want it the first time, otherwise you will spend alot more money in the future getting what you want, and by the way, never leave it anywhere, there are not locks that will keep your bike safe, I take the wheels off mine and take it inside with me no matter where I am and If they wont let me take it inside where ever I am going, I dont really need to go there. You can contact me here if you like and I can take you to a shop and show you the difference in prices and quality. If you are gonna ride it for four years, buy a good one, it will pay off in the long run

SnD

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    That XTC has a frame that is made in Taiwan, thus increasing the price of the whole bike. Cycling has seen a revival over the last year or two, specs have gotten worse and prices have gone up.

It seems to be a problem, not just in China but worldwide that entry level mountain bikes are generally XC (cross country) machines. Supposedly light-weight at the cost of durability so that you can win cardiovascular type cycle races on dirt. The whole problem comes with any bike under around 8,000 RMB isn't really that light and the tires and forks just can't take a beating, cue punctures and leaky forks, creaky drive-trains all in the first year, pretty lame. The smart money would buy a DJ/4X, lasts for years, much more fun and usable over a range of disciplines. Sure an XC bike would be better to win a XC race, but you'd buy a 29 inch wheel carbon fiber machine if you were really serious about that.

A commonly available in China XC bike: (Giant ATX)
    384401_2768166054156_1558082047_32782431_887434963_n.jpg

What I think most riders with a modest budget would be better off riding in China: (Giant STP (Street, Trail, Park))
    2012_Giant_STP.jpg

You might be able to special order an STP at a Giant shop or Tabao has a couple. There aren't many around as Chinese riders hate them because everyone knows the more gears and the lighter the weight the better the bike must be (yeah, right).
    A day in the life, Wake up, ride to work, work, ride home, lock bike and its beer thirty!

6. #6 Re: Looking to buy a good bike for a good price. 
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchndent View Post
    wash, lube and ride. SnD

7. #7 Re: Looking to buy a good bike for a good price. 
    I do really love a single speed drive train. Zen like simplicity whether it be fixie, coaster or free-wheeler, I've had many.

To be honest a 1x8,9,10 plus guide with a SRAM x9 or X0 drive train is very reliable and really is wonderful in the mountains. But obviously you've got to 'clean and lube' the whole drive train at least once a week