Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Unusual scooter / monkey bike - identification help needed 
    In flagranti delicto!

In_flagranti_delicto.jpg

On the left is a 1989 "Tomos Colibri", and on the right is something... indefinite... made in China... with a clone of "Honda" PC 50 engine. Damn, they could have done a better job!

I can not wait to see Chinese seeing of "Tomos" APN 6.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

2. #22 Re: Unusual scooter / monkey bike - identification help needed 
    Interesting post...

FX

then there is FXX

3. #23 Re: Unusual scooter / monkey bike - identification help needed 
    Lil' horizontal and bicycle (light frame and wheels, that is), put together - it is not new idea.

http://www.motoped-choose-your-adventure.com/

Interesting combination, but this engine, IMO, is still too heavy for any such use. It is pity that the two-stroke era has ended.

4. #24 Re: Unusual scooter / monkey bike - identification help needed 
    LICENSING AND REGISTRATION

In most states your MOTOPED® will be classified as a motorized bicycle. Regulations differ from state-to-state, so be sure to educate yourself about local regulations to determine that you're riding legally. If your state recognizes motorized bicycles as a distinct classification, you are generally not required to license, register, or title your MOTOPED®.

It is what it is….
    Here is what a Moped in OHIO is.

What is a Moped?
    Just because something looks like a moped, doesn't guarantee it is one in the eyes of the law. Only the Ohio Department of Public Safety can certify which vehicles meet state standards. You should not accept anyone else's statement that a vehicle is a moped.
    The Ohio Revised Code defines a moped, or motorized bicycle, as any vehicle with two tandem wheels or one front and two rear wheels which is capable of being pedaled. The tires shall have an inflated width size of 1.75 inches (4.45 centimeters) minimum and shall have an overall inflated diameter of 19 inches (48.26 centimeters) minimum when mounted to the rim or wheel.

The moped should be equipped with a helper motor too. The helper motor may not:
    1. have a piston displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters;
    2. produce more than one brake horsepower; and
    3.propel the vehicle at a maximum speed greater than 20 mph on a level surface.

If a vehicle exceeds any one of these criteria, it is legally a motorcycle. Be certain BEFORE you buy. Contact the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles at 614-752-7518, if you have questions.

OK if it is a motorcycle, then it is either a On the Road or Off Road. The FED uses "Highway" to define all public roads. By default these would be a dirt bike in OHIO, they need lights etc to be allowed on the street.

OHIO is pretty organized compared to other states, people that live here may not agree, but that is likely because they have only lived here and have not ever had to deal with states that have really odd laws.

These are coming out of Missouri, here is what their highway patrol says:
    Motorized Bicycles, Scooters, and Mini-Motorcycles Require Legal Operation

The Missouri State Highway Patrol would like to remind parents it is illegal to operate motorized bicycles on public streets and highways unless the operator has a driver's license. This applies to the newly popular mini-motorcycles also. A motorized bicycle is defined as any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having an automatic transmission and a motor with cylinder capacity of not more than 50 cubic centimeters, which produces less than three gross brake horsepower, and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 mph on level ground. Missouri law states that motorized bicycles, commonly referred to as scooters, can be operated on public streets and highways if the driver holds a valid license. If your child can't legally drive a car, he can't drive a motorized bicycle on the road.
    Last edited by MJH; 03-20-2015 at 10:53 PM.

5. #25 Re: Unusual scooter / monkey bike - identification help needed 
    I was just speaking with the owner of Excalibur Motorsports yesterday. They have become the new distributor for Taiwan's TGB scooter lineup. Last week, I was looking around for dealers for him in Hawaii, which has fairly loose moped laws, but TGB's 50cc 2-strokes are far too powerful to be considered under moped laws in the state of Hawaii.

http://www.atv4usa.com/tgb/

Excalibur have a couple of the cheap 49cc Chinese scooters, as well, they are the sole distributor of the Madass 50 (which seems to be the bike in question at the beginning of this thread), and I am fairly certain their Chinese 4 stroke scooters and Chinese Madass 50 would qualify as mopeds in those states that recognize mopeds as such:

http://www.atv4usa.com/products.asp?cat=20

This is the Madass 50, and Wade Liu, the owner of Excalibur, is the guy riding it in the attached video; you can see it is very much NOTvery powerful

https://youtu.be/6w-VqrpwSA4?list=UU...xHnD-SAb-Xg6PQ
    Last edited by culcune; 03-21-2015 at 04:27 PM.

6. #26 Re: Unusual scooter / monkey bike - identification help needed 
    I think there is no point in discussing why the legislature in some country designated what is moped/mokick and what is a motorcycle, and whether for riding this moped/mokick, whatever it may be, you need some sort of driver's license.

Here, moped is two-wheeler with a maximum speed, regardless of the type of transmission, does not exceeds 45 km/h, with a displаcement, in case of internal combustion engine, up to 50 cm3 or 4 kW, in case of electro motors.

Also, for riding a moped you need AM category driving license - you need to be older than 16 years to sign up for training which consists of 40 hours of theory and 7 hours of practical training. After that - theoretical and practical exam.

7. #27 Re: Unusual scooter / monkey bike - identification help needed 
    Here are few two wheelers which can be easely named moped even in Ohio.

They came from "Bintian", and all three are fitted with PC 50 clones.

Bintian_BT30.jpg

And now, something I have not seen on C-motos so far.

ZXMCO_Hybrid.jpg

This little guy comes from ZXMCO and has two engines - gasoline (PC 50 clone) and electric motor. Some sort of hybrid bike!

On "Alibaba", in addition to basic specs, says only this:

This bike is installed with an engine&motor complex, which charges a pack of 48v12ah battery when you drive by gasoline. Once the gasoline is finished, you can turn on the electric mode and drive the bike further 30kms by the electric motor.
    OK, officialy, I'm intrigued...

8. #28 Re: Unusual scooter / monkey bike - identification help needed 
    RK110 Sport
    This is a Zongshen Model in Thailand by RYUKO

9. #29 Re: Unusual scooter / monkey bike - identification help needed 
    Mine is cheaper, and not so... unsightly.

Also "Shineray", and also rendering.

Shineray_rendering.jpg

Maybe those are new "Alphas", based on a stamped frames. This one is obviously inspired by "Yamaha Trickster" design (note the fuel tank).

10. #30 Re: Unusual scooter / monkey bike - identification help needed 
    here is a real world picture...

The Yamaha Tricker is more like a trials bike with a seat and the Chinese are making copies of them, lots of them.

These are CUBS, modified versions of the standard.

Were you thinking of the Chivicker?

I actually want one of these..
    Last edited by MJH; 03-24-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast