Oy mates,

I'm planning to buy myself a 600/650 cc motorbike and was wondering about your views toward inner/outer ring license plates.
To my understanding:
- the Shanghai Inner ring licence plate is about 68000RMB, quantity: extremely limited.
- the Shanghai Outer ring licence plate is about 8500 RMB, quantity: ulimited.

Facts: I've been driving a CB400 VTEC1 for 2 years in Shanghai, licence plate from Jiangsu, only got fined once and it was for not wearing a helmet (Yeah I know, but it was a 1km drive and I was driving around 20km/h)

Now it seems to me that the police doesn't care much about inner or outer ring plates as they don't even care if you're driving big bike with a Jiangsu plate in downtown. Plus, I got friends that have been riding with outer ones for years without having problems

Not even speaking of the price difference: 61500RMB, at 200rmb the fine, you would have to get fined 307 times before reaching a total cost of 68000rmb. Of course you can sell your inner license plate back, even with a bonus if we're looking at the market.

So, long story short I'm a bit skeptical about buying myself an inner ring one. The fact that you're losing points if you drive downtown is obviously a urban legend.
I am looking forward to read you guys!

Cheers.