Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Difference between Inner-ring license plates and outer-ring license plate 
    Oy mates,

I'm planning to buy myself a 600/650 cc motorbike and was wondering about your views toward inner/outer ring license plates.
    To my understanding:
    - the Shanghai Inner ring licence plate is about 68000RMB, quantity: extremely limited.
    - the Shanghai Outer ring licence plate is about 8500 RMB, quantity: ulimited.

Facts: I've been driving a CB400 VTEC1 for 2 years in Shanghai, licence plate from Jiangsu, only got fined once and it was for not wearing a helmet (Yeah I know, but it was a 1km drive and I was driving around 20km/h)

Now it seems to me that the police doesn't care much about inner or outer ring plates as they don't even care if you're driving big bike with a Jiangsu plate in downtown. Plus, I got friends that have been riding with outer ones for years without having problems

Not even speaking of the price difference: 61500RMB, at 200rmb the fine, you would have to get fined 307 times before reaching a total cost of 68000rmb. Of course you can sell your inner license plate back, even with a bonus if we're looking at the market.

So, long story short I'm a bit skeptical about buying myself an inner ring one. The fact that you're losing points if you drive downtown is obviously a urban legend.
    I am looking forward to read you guys!

Cheers.

2. #2 Re: Difference between Inner-ring license plates and outer-ring license plate 
    Com'on Guys, no comments of the pros and cons of inner (A) and outer ring (C) license plate?

Who's drivng a bike with a Shanghai 沪C license plate in dontonwn Shanghai, and what's your experience about it?

Thanks.

3. #3 Re: Difference between Inner-ring license plates and outer-ring license plate 
    Ok, here's an update: I just chat with the guy who owns a Benelli BJ600GS and he got fine 200rmb, minus 3 points on his driving license for driving with a 沪C license plate in dontonwn Shanghai. It his first fine since the beginning of the year and apparently, the losing points thing depends of the the zeal of the cop. So it's not an urban legend that you're losing point driving outer ring license plate in Shanghai, it's just a question of luck.

4. #4 Re: Difference between Inner-ring license plates and outer-ring license plate 
    C-Moto Guru
    Just check for the term "slaboed" in the Forum and you learn the consequences of beeing with the wrong plates in the wrong area - doesnt matter if Kunming, or Shanghai.
    Issue is not the fine but all the retards running/driving/falling into your way...