Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Preparing for the big Odisee 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi guys,

It has been a long time since I post here. I was licking my wounds after the little accident in the last trip. I want to thank again for the advices on how taking the bike back home. As Euphonius put it, It certainly is something to learn from. But you have to push forward. And so I am here, asking for advice again. My girlfriend is finally coming to visit me (that is another story..) and I am planning the trip the moto was really bought for. A two and a half ride through China, from Beijing to Shanghai crossing Hebei,Hunan,Hubei, Anhui and Zhejiang probably. (I still have to look up some of the places...I am open to suggestions too)

In any case I wanted to ask the experienced and knowledgeable if there are any spare parts they would recommend to buy before the trip. Anything from spark plugs, to tires, chain, bulbs I donīt know. The moto being a recently bought Jialing 600A

I have been looking through the forum but I canīt seem to find anything on the matter. I understand that is a little specific question, but I was only looking for quite a generic answer, not to thorough, just to give me an idea of what are the basic things that you are gonna miss if something goes wrong.

PS: Obviously if anyone in Shanghai wants to share a beer we will be more than willing to share some of the trip incidences (they ought to happen..) and anything else as soon as we arrive there!

2. #2 Re: Preparing for the big Odisee 
    Hi Gambitox, good to hear you are recovering. For what to bring on your trip, this is a very good place to start:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ome-without-it

3. #3 Re: Preparing for the big Odisee 
    Congratulations on your JH600A. I have over 30k km on my JH600, which has been a reliable bike for me so far.

For longer trips, this is the list of what I usually carry:
    · Inner tubes, front and rear; patch kit
    · Master link for the chain
    · Oil filter. (Oil of decent quality is not too difficult to find during the trip)
    · Spark plug
    · Hand pump
    · Chain lube
    · Assorted tools (for chain tightening, loose nuts/bolts/screws, wheel disassembly, etc.)
    · 1 hair dryer (It will be wet)
    · Cigarette lighter/USB adapter; power adapter for charging phones/GPS/PC…
    · 1 tube of triple-antibiotics ointment, advil

However, it is assuming you have installed the hand guards, which are highly recommended. If not, carry with you the clutch lever and brake lever. Also, very importantly, check if the chain guide rubber is securely installed (or glued) to the swing arm. If not, there will be many more things to carry.

Although rare, the following are known to have gone wrong during the trip:
    · Front sprocket assembly (failed due to the chain guide failure mentioned previously)
    · Stator
    · Clutch friction plates
    · Chain (master link failure)

Don't forget to bring with you the phone number into Jialing for ordering parts or your local contacts who can dial for you when needed. Almost all spare parts must come from Jialing directly. Any need for serious parts will stop you in your tracks immediately.

Good luck on your trip.
    Last edited by milton; 08-23-2012 at 12:39 AM.

4. #4 Re: Preparing for the big Odisee 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks Milton and Felix , that is exactly what I was looking for, now I just have to confirm with master Zhang and decide who much weight I am willing to take for the journey...my girl probably wants to take some dresses to enjoy the nights so thatīs gonna reduce the available space...