Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sam, good to hear from you! Spud, good to hear that your Zongshen is going strong. I had a bad experience with my Jetmoto, and never got another Chinese bike. However, I have found lower priced Zongshens through Lewpack, and am intrigued to possibly get a bike along the lines of all those guys who got cheap Lifans and had good experiences. Lewpack has them for $1300 or something like that.

Sam, you could probably figure out how to part out a "parts" Zongshen, and break even.

culcane,
    I hope you are doing well! You make a very good point. You know my MO. When I parted out my 2006 Viva, I made over $2000. This was more than enough to pay myself back for the Viva and then pay off the Zongshen. So I am looking at a free bike.

Honestly, the Zongshen is a nice bike but as Spud pointed out it is tweeked quite a bit. Qlink said the bike was wrecked and that the selling dealership must have failed to take care of it when they had it. That voided the warranty. Their other thought was that I wrecked it and was trying to pull a fast one on them. I never wrecked the bike! I'm thinking that it must have taken a very heavy blow in order to have this much damage. It was either dropped or something was dropped on it at the Qlink warehouse. I was just the unlucky person that ended up with it.

Spud,
    It was great hearing your Zongshen story. I guess you inspired me to finally do something with mine. If you need any parts, contact me! Watch the bolts on your bike. They are very soft.

SamM
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650E8F
    2006 QLink X-Ranger 200

I just passed 10,000 miles on the odometer of my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2. I have not experienced any mechanical problems, and the engine is still purring like a kitten.

I do all the maintenance on my motorcycle, and I have also made a few modifications to it. If readers are interested in reading more about my motorcycle, they should visit the website below and search for threads containing “Zongshen Sierra.”

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...=viewforum&f=1

Incidentally, I have not found any soft bolts on my motorcycle. Perhaps this problem was limited to the earlier, Qlink X-Ranger 200 bike?

Spud

Spud,

That's great news! Most of the folks in China have seen more than a couple of these explode under heavy use so perhaps the export versions were spec'd differently? Either way... glad you enjoy your ride. Been on any good trips with it recently?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

5. #15 Re: Sierra 200 Dislikes 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
    I did forget to mention earlier that I needed to replace the original chain after 4,000 miles; I have installed a Tsubaki 428HQR chain that has stretched very little over the last 3,500 miles.
    Spud
    Spud,

What chain length did you install on the bike?

Blue Fox

6. #16 Re: Sierra 200 Dislikes 
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
    Spud,

What chain length did you install on the bike?

Blue Fox
    The Zongshen 200GY-2 sold in the United States employs a 124-link drive chain. If you wish, you can learn more about the Tsubaki 428HQR drive chain I purchased by reading the following thread.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7356

Spud

7. #17 Re: Mine is a little crooked, also. 
    Hello Spudrider,
    I was wandering how is your sierra 200 still doing? i just ordered a brand new one just like yours, 2006, from a miami dealer. I saw your pictures and I was sold into the idea that this must be a good bike. I am not planing to ride it as much as you have so, if it performs have as good as yours, then I will be very satisfied. I was concern with my weight as I am 215 Lbs, 6'2" but was impressed when I saw the bike at the showroom and realized it is pretty tall. I wished I was able to test it but I met a guy who is 230 Lbs and he owns one and he said he is very happy with it. Hope to hear about your new adventures on the Sierra 200.
    adios,
    cloudrider~

8. #18 Re: Mine is a little crooked, also. 
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudrider View Post
    Hello Spudrider,
    I was wandering how is your sierra 200 still doing? i just ordered a brand new one just like yours, 2006, from a miami dealer. I saw your pictures and I was sold into the idea that this must be a good bike. I am not planing to ride it as much as you have so, if it performs have as good as yours, then I will be very satisfied. I was concern with my weight as I am 215 Lbs, 6'2" but was impressed when I saw the bike at the showroom and realized it is pretty tall. I wished I was able to test it but I met a guy who is 230 Lbs and he owns one and he said he is very happy with it. Hope to hear about your new adventures on the Sierra 200.
    adios,
    cloudrider~
    Congratulations on acquiring your new Zong. My bike is running very well with 22,600 miles on the odometer. If you want to learn more about maintaining, and modifying your Zong, you might enjoy reading some on the threads in the "Zong Stickie" at China Riders.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8673

Spud

9. #19 Re: Mine is a little crooked, also. 
    Thank you Spud. My biggest concern with the bike is the rear wheel. Mine will come with the standard street tires and I have read that finding off-road tires for this bike is hard due to the odd size rear rim. Do you know where I could find that rear off-road tire? I read that you changed your swingarm to adjust to a 18" rim wheel. I am not very mechanically inclined so I don't want to get my new bike and start modifying it from the start. Any suggestions?
    thanks,
    cloudrider~

10. #20 Re: Mine is a little crooked, also. 
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudrider View Post
    Thank you Spud. My biggest concern with the bike is the rear wheel. Mine will come with the standard street tires and I have read that finding off-road tires for this bike is hard due to the odd size rear rim. Do you know where I could find that rear off-road tire? I read that you changed your swingarm to adjust to a 18" rim wheel. I am not very mechanically inclined so I don't want to get my new bike and start modifying it from the start. Any suggestions?
    thanks,
    cloudrider~
    If you want to purchase a rear, dual sport tire, you might try contacting forum member Phil at China Riders; he is a Zongshen dealer.

Another good option is to lace an 18-inch rim to the Zong's rear hub. Using this method, I recently built a custom, 18-inch wheel for another Zong owner. You can read about the custom wheel at the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...&p=89810#89810

Spud

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast