Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Dual Sporting around Beijing? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi y'all,

I might take on an assignment in Beijing next year.
    I have got a DRZ400 and a KTM 450 that I would like to take with me. The company I am working for will provide a container.
    Honestly I have no idea so pls excuse my questions.

- do you think importing the bikes will be a big issue?
    - if yes, can you get bikes there?
    - are the Chinese bikes junk? (most I have seen are)

Thanks in advance for your input.

Alex

2. #2 Re: Dual Sporting around Beijing? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hi, welcome to MCM..

China is an awesome place to discover by bike. Unfortunately, you might be stuck with China bikes only. Which aren't that bad really, if you can just stop comparing them to others made in the last 20 years

Still, it's possible to find a few nuggets and things are much better than when I was in China a year ago. Seems joint ventures like Yingang and Benelli are offering some solid bikes, but only in 150 to 250cc range ..

Can I import my bike question has been answered a few thousand times here .. so no need to go over that again, you can use the search box on the top left to find those threads.. But please, even on the shittiest bike possible, it's worth getting lost outside of Chinese mega cities.. please do join the club..

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks!

Maybe I am looking wrong but couldn't find some if I look for "import"
    But I think it will be nearly impossible or very costly..
    Just don't want to sell my babies here in the states... ;-)

Cold you recommend some bikes that are similar for ex. to a DRZ 400??

Thanks! Good to make some first contacts. Are you in Beijing?

4. #4 Re: Dual Sporting around Beijing? 
    Step back, take a deep breath, use the search button. Everything you want to know has been beaten to death at least a dozen times on this forum.

Understand that their are 3 economic motorcycle groups here.

Economy: Bikes under $2500 USD, probably a Chinese moto, with the rare exception of a few illegally imported bikes (most likely thrashed).

Business: $2500 ~ $7500 USD, a small variety of local hardware, mostly 250~650cc, primarily road oriented. The occasional import, though most fall under "dodgy" when it comes to legal issues.

First Class: $7500 ~ $60,000 USD, pretty much anything you want if you have the cash and patience.

You are not going to find something like a DRZ or KTM unless you have A LOT of money. You can not import your bikes without major connections and/or a ton of money. You will pay at least double the price for everything here, be it bikes, gear, tires etc. If you have high expectations, and expect to duplicate your DRZ/KTM lifestyle, it's going to be big, big, bucks. A lot of people leave that behind and discover that small, cheap, Chinese bikes are plenty good enough to take in the sights and experience the culture. For the most part, Chinese bikes are junk, but they're fun and economical, which can make every ride a true adventure.

Do some research, get here, settle in, and then look for something that fits your budget with the help of some of the people in Beijing.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: Dual Sporting around Beijing? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    That's very valuable info. Thanks!
    I called the people that would do the shipping from the US to China and they confimed that China protects its market from import like this.
    I was thinking a carnet de paddage would be an option but not really since carnets are obviously not accepted in china. Then would be the option to import the bikes in parts. But even if I have the bikes then in the country it will likely result in more problems...

6. #6 Re: Dual Sporting around Beijing? 
    Hi Alexisan,

as has been stated before: Spend some time to search and browse the forum. This will not only give you all the information you are looking for but also some "feeling" for the pros and cons of riding an m/c- and which one - in China.

I don't know your budget but my first impression is: forget about importing your bikes. it will result in A LOT of money and a lot of mafan (one of the first words you should learn in chinese, means something like trouble, inconvenience). Look at the 150-250 cc dual sports class with QingQi, Jialing, Galaxy and the likes offering enough models to make riding chinese roads worthwhile.

Looking forward to welcoming you in China!
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi all, we are getting closer to china....hope the contract stuff works out.
    Before the states we were n south Africa and I rode my bmw back to Germany.
    Would love to do some like this after china. Would you think some of these Chinese motos would be up for the job through Russia, Mongolia,kasachstan and the way back to Europe? :-)

8. #8 Re: Dual Sporting around Beijing? 
    Welcome Alexian!What they must be very rigth! ( I never be there yet but i want too in the future). There is a bike that in my opinion ( i hope the guys in China contribute in this one) could be your bike. Its the Feishen/Puzey xtr 300cc.This bike was tested in competition (Roof of Africa) a doing pretty wheel, and the motor is based in the Kawasaki KLX 300 desing (Bullet proof desing). Also now that you are in South africa you can try one over there in the Puzey brand. Its como in mx,motard,dualsport models. Here is a picture.Attachment 8450

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by motoviva View Post
    Welcome Alexian!What they must be very rigth! ( I never be there yet but i want too in the future). There is a bike that in my opinion ( i hope the guys in China contribute in this one) could be your bike. Its the Feishen/Puzey xtr 300cc.This bike was tested in competition (Roof of Africa) a doing pretty wheel, and the motor is based in the Kawasaki KLX 300 desing (Bullet proof desing). Also now that you are in South africa you can try one over there in the Puzey brand. Its como in mx,motard,dualsport models. Here is a picture.Attachment 8450
    Sounds interesting. Couldn't see the picture.
    And these bikes come from china??

10. #10 Re: Dual Sporting around Beijing? 
    Yeap! From China! Mike Puzey from South Africa did the desing and Feishen manufacture them.You can see at puzey.co.za also they sell in Uk at ccmmotorcycles.co.uk also the factory website is buayangvehicle.com.I am sure you will not be dissapointed. They claim 28hp so enough to dirt and street too!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast