Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Motorcycle Tag in Shangqiu, Henan 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I wanted to share my experience getting a tag for my motorcycle in Shangqiu, Henan. I tried getting the tag and drivers license on my own with just a translator. I knew it was possible since my friends had done this in other cities and posts here told how to do it. After being told it was not possible, I got friends with influence involved.

The first friend was told again that it was impossible and had never been done. A private student who was a policeman, actually the warden of the local prison, got involved and made calls to his buddies. This got the head guys involved and they found out it could be done. After that we found out we had to correct the bill of sale. The girl who entered the information had put the university as the buyer. She didn't know how to change the ID from a Chinese ID to a passport in the software. Once that was cleared up, I had to get my legal name translated into Chinese by an official city translator.

I'm waiting to take the drivers license test. They are arranging an official translator. The moral of the story is to keep asking until you find the right person. Keep smiling and networking. It is a matter of who you know. In a smaller city the as a foreigner you are a celebrity. Use that and keep saying you are trying to do the right thing.

As far as those who ride without the legal documents, I understand why one might give up. I have spent a month getting this done. In this city I could ride without the documents and never get hassled by the police. They see a foreign face and let me go. The problem is if there is an accident or I go out of town. The possible punishments, up to 15 days in jail, are severe.

2. #2 Re: Motorcycle Tag in Shangqiu, Henan 
    good approach. That is the right way to get things done in China.
    I wish you success with you DL and hope for pics from Henan riding.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC