Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Benelli BJ600GS - lessons learned 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    I think I just read yesterday in that long Russian review of the CFMoto 650NK that its engine was developed by AVL of Austria, the same outfit that developed the 600cc thumper in our Jialing JH600s.
    AVL is mentioned in the context of automobile factory Chery, more precisely, their engines.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

2. #12 Re: Benelli BJ600GS - lessons learned 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

As for Benelli/Qianjiang, with Qianjiang acquiring Benelli, presumably to obtain their technology and brand and market share, it would make little sense for the company to design and manufacture key components in Italy, especially if the bike is a new model. If it's a longstanding model, that's a different story. Anyone know with any assurance that this is NOT a Chinese-made engine and transmission?
    No assurance, but dealer said so (engine Italy made) and there were rumors that Benelli under Italian ownership was developing a 4-cyl-engine. Still the kinship with the Yamaha R6 engine is confusing.
    (http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...e-coming-soon/)

3. #13 Re: Benelli BJ600GS - lessons learned 
    The dealer in Xi'an told me that 60% of the engine parts were imported from italy. Not that i trust him to have a clue about the bike...

4. #14 Re: Benelli BJ600GS - lessons learned 
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyDV View Post
    Still the kinship with the Yamaha R6 engine is confusing.
    Where?

Quote Originally Posted by SammyDV View Post
    That amount of swarf in the 80's would not be a big deal, but it is 2012 and cars (e.g. Porsche) have inspection intervals of 20Tkm...
    Chips in the initial stage of running in an engine has little to do with above.
    It basically comes from the gears, and all those wheels and grooves need to settle and fit to each other.
    It is pretty normal to see pieces the size of a top of a fingernail at the first oil-change.
    You should start to worry if it still happens after 10k km.

As for Benelli/Qianjiang, with Qianjiang acquiring Benelli, presumably to obtain their technology and brand and market share, it would make little sense for the company to design and manufacture key components in Italy, especially if the bike is a new model. If it's a longstanding model, that's a different story. Anyone know with any assurance that this is NOT a Chinese-made engine and transmission?
    I give it a fair change that the design of the engine was subcontracted.
    Benelli's of the last decades were 3 cylinders in larger capacities, and I don't think any of those could have been on the basis of the 4 cylinder, medium capacity engine.
    Benelli should however also be perfectly able to do the design "in-house".
    Last edited by 998S; 08-22-2012 at 08:25 AM.

5. #15 Re: Benelli BJ600GS - lessons learned 
    What are the wearing in disclosures on the bike? That tells you something, maybe?

I would not get to upset over it, just be considerate to wearing it in, its all new metal and it has to cure.

Quality in general is on the wane in all products, they are all cutting cost and supplies are mixed. Many brand name companies rotate employees they are all chasing higher salaries, management or control of the process can get complacent and the results are decreases in quality and they then sell brand names with high quality reputations and what they are selling is not what it used to be.

Enjoy the bike and keep track of it, it is not worth the stress unless it starts to act up. Its new and you are running it in, it not about testing performance yet, that something to savor in the second season.

6. #16 Re: Benelli BJ600GS - lessons learned 
    I would not compare car quality with motorcycle quality and relative advancements in quality. They are not the same. The cars actually have within the last few years, not really getting better they are actually getting cheaper made, the industry got hit with the global recession and in that cheap parts and supplies appear and so do higher prices.

If the bike become poor performing or has part failures tell everyone, put the scarf of metal are not that unusual for new and more could be that you are hitting on it to hard too soon, check yourself on that.

7. #17 Re: Benelli BJ600GS - lessons learned 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    750km: One screw and its bolt at the sprocket (back wheel) slip.
    I guess the bolt is broken. Wheel will be dismantled soon, will do some photos and post them.
    Material quality problem or quality control problem? Not a good sign in either case...

8. #18 Re: Benelli BJ600GS - lessons learned 
    Surely these engines and trannies are made in China, not Italy. Who developed this engine?

I think I just read yesterday in that long Russian review of the CFMoto 650NK that its engine was developed by AVL of Austria,
    Jeff

Hey Euphonius, could you give us the link of this russian review you're speaking about?

9. #19 Re: Benelli BJ600GS - lessons learned 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    It's in one of the 650NK threads, posted by Zorge in a conversation with Steve_Halt as I recall. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #20 Re: Benelli BJ600GS - lessons learned 
    Once again, "At the helm" article - http://www.zr.ru/content/articles/46..._cfmoto_650nk/
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast