Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Chongqing to Hohhot 
    23rd

I ate so much I nearly puked last night, walked back to the hotel slowly and carefully just managing to keep it down. Set off at 9.30 to get properly into the grasslands, there was a gap of about 20 kms between two x roads that I thought I could bridge. The bike spluttered a couple of times on the way there but I decided to press on and found a dirt track that looked to be heading in the right direction. Off I went thinking I'd show those luvvies McGregor and Boorman how its done, unfortunately the spluttering got more and more frequent until finally the bike was dead in the water. I tried to mess around with the coil and it fired up momentarily but no long term joy, so I pushed it the final 4 kilometres to the tarmac road then 5 more to the nearest town, Siziwang. There, the first mechanic didn't have a new coil but gave me a used one and invited me in for a drink (I probably looked like I needed it), disappointingly I only made it a few hundred metres up the road before it konked out again, luckily near a bigger bike shop. I changed the coil for a new one and gave it a test ride but it spluttered to a halt pretty quickly. I forced a reluctant mechanic to try it and he came back saying a wire was being nipped while steering, he then came out with a meter and I knew then I had the right man for the job. He quickly found the problem and I now have no tachometer but I do have a running bike. I know the yingang so well now I don't really need the taco anyway. So mission accomplished, a Mongolian offroad adventure was certainly achieved, it was a bit of a ballache but at least the bike is ready for the return leg. Got back into town for a traditional meal of pot au sheep, I fly out tomorrow and will leave the bike with the good people at suzuki. Total kms 3410.

IMAG0397.jpg
    Golden hans - a dangerous place for the weak willed

P1010121.jpg
    Grasslands

P1010127.jpg
    Start of track connecting the two x roads

P1010128.jpg
    Nice wood amoung the steppe

P1010130.jpg
    Reminded me of the south of France
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 08-25-2012 at 02:22 PM.

2. #22 Re: Chongqing to Hohhot 
    P1010132.jpg
    This where the bike started to get really bad, it broke down completely a kilometre down the road

P1010135.jpg
    They also farm wind. It was absolutely enormous

P1010139.jpg
    This was especially for Milton, mutton on the bone - the local speciality. A bit pricey at 70 quai though.

P1010140.jpg
    You just gotta suck out that marrow, it's good for your healthy

P1010142.jpg
    Tom woz 'ere

3. #23 Re: Chongqing to Hohhot 
    P1010058.jpg
    How many asses is it gonna take to pull this bugger out?

Sorry couldn't resist one last one

4. #24 Re: Chongqing to Hohhot 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    great ride, enjoyed the report. When are you going to drive back?

5. #25 Re: Chongqing to Hohhot 
    Great writing and adventures as usual Tom. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

6. #26 Re: Chongqing to Hohhot 
    Myself and Joe will be heading east from Hohhot on the 24/25 September. All are welcome to join us, we will then go south through Ningxia, then Gansu, Qinghai, and Sichuan before finishing in Chengdu. We plan to meet tombaxers and his new jialing sidecar in Gansu

7. #27 Re: Chongqing to Hohhot 
    Classic read sir, it was an honour getting messed up with a pro such as yourself.

Good to see you made it all the way there, some nice bits along the way it seems. Although 200+ kuai to ride through a crowded park full of fake old stuff is classic china rape. I'm so sick of anything touristy here, it's either overpriced brand new '1500 year old' temples or overpriced 'old town' that sells the same made-in-yiwu ethic shit as every other place in asia or overpriced park entry to see a big mountain sandwiched between giant advertising billboards to cover the piles of rubbish at the base. If its in a guidebook, don't bother. Really sorry for that, it's weird how fast a thought about china turns into a rant about china.

Anyway thanks for sharing man, and it wouldn't be a china bike trip if you didn't have to push.

8. #28 Re: Chongqing to Hohhot 
    C-Moto Noob
    Cheers!
    tom

9. #29 Re: Chongqing to Hohhot 
    Felix - I think a good rant now and then is absolutely necessary to maintain our sanity! By the way, the sprockets my mate thought he'd found for the liger were the wrong size after all. it seems there's next to nothing in the way of after market parts for that bike.

10. #30 Re: Chongqing to Hohhot 
    Cracking report Tom!

Off to buy some decent maps of Ningxia, Gansu and Qinghai tomorrow so I'm gonna have a gander at them and see where we can possibly meet up and head in convoy. The plan I am thinking now if it suited is to head North West out of Yinchuan straight into the desert and do a loop around through the dunes (road showed on Google Maps and photos shown on Google Earth look insane) coming out of the desert again at either Zhangye or Jiuquan, which hits the main road up to Dunhuang or probably for you and Joe back down to Lanzhou and South to Chongqing.
    Shanghai
    2012 Jialing JH600B-A (Shanghai) 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC (UK)
    2003 Hyosung Aquila 125 (UK) 200? Yamaha YBR 125 (Yangshuo)
    2010 Triumph Bonneville A2 (sold)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast