Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 How to sell a bike in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    IMG_1134.jpgIMG_1135.jpgIMG_1136.jpg

Hello all

I am wanting to sell my CJ sidecar.
    I hope the pictures are attached (this is the first time I have tried to do it)

Anyone interested just give me a shout.

My question is, in Shanghai, what is the process or what needs to be done to sign the bike legally over to the new owner?
    Is there something I need to do or is it the new owners responsibility?

It has Shaanxi plates...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. #2 Re: How to sell a bike in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Couple of scenarios:

1) Find a FOB laowai and flog it to them for whatever you can get, and gloss over the pesky details about legal registration. Think back to your own acquisition of the bike.

2) Find a buyer who wants to make the bike legal, and work with someone like Fan Peisheng 范配圣 aka 小范 to obtain actual legal plates from Hubei, which is about the only place where these can be legally plated.

You'll probably do better financially with option 2, though it will be more work, and you'll sleep better at night.

PM me if you need Fan's contacts.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: How to sell a bike in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Cheers for the advice, but I am even more confused now....

What is a FOB laowai, I am not sure what FOB means. And I am guessing its not good....

The bike now has Shaanxi plates....
    But for instance in Australia if you sell your bike, you have to sign the back of the registration papers and the new owner goes to the local Roads and Traffic authority office and then must change registration it in his name.

I am wondering how to part with the bike legally. I dont care what the new owner wants to do with it plate wise. I just dont want him to be riding around with it, do something stupid and then I get blamed for it.
    I mean it is not even registered in my name. CJ Sidecar on Hami lu have a guy in Shaanxi who apparently has a tone of bikes in his name. Thats how they get around it and I dont want to get him in trouble either.

4. #4 Re: How to sell a bike in Shanghai 
    Sorry, Nathan, I was being cryptic and a bit sarcastic, maybe even mean-spirited. I apologize. By FOB I meant "fresh off the boat" -- i.e., naive.

How did the bike come into your possession? Did it involve a legal transfer of documents in Shaanxi? Is the bike in your name? I'll reveal my bias and suggest that the odds that your bike is actually legal are not very good at all, though if you've got a guy who traffics in Shaanxi plates it's possible, but very likely dodgy all the same. In the time that you've had it, have you ever renewed the registration? This is probably an annual requirement for a bike like this. The national rules require annual inspection and re-registration for any bike that is more than 4 years old. If the bike is actually legal in Shaanxi, it's registered in somebody's name, and they presumably bear some liability for whatever you do with the bike. More likely it's all fictitious, and even if you went to the provincial Vehicle Management Bureau in Xi'an to execute a legal transfer you'd be met with blank stares.

The sad fact is that the CJ is an increasingly difficult bike to manage legally, and according to several people one of the few reliable places for legal plates is Hubei 鄂 and these require a go-between. It's unlikely it would be registered in your (or the buyer's) name, meaning a real or fake person is your proxy. This is increasingly dodgy, especially if you find yourself in an accident. In an accident, if there is anything at all amiss in your own driver's license or the registration, the rules automatically hold you 100% responsible, even if the other guy is 100% at fault.

There is zero chance of registering a CJ in Shanghai, or in Huzhou where our little band of Jialing fans have been plating our JH600Bs.

You SHOULD care about how the buyer registers the bike, which is why I suggested going to a reputable guy like Fan who can get the bike legally plated even if you've been illegal during your tenure as its owner.

I don't trust the guys at CJ Sidecar. They're known for doing anything for a sale. I can't remember how many lies I've been told there, but it's a substantial number. They have a habit of preying on vulnerable, naive foreigners. Caveat emptor.

I'm not trying to be a prick, though I've been accused of this before. If you want to do the right thing, talk to a trusted person who knows how to handle sales of these bikes. Talk to Fan.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #5 Re: How to sell a bike in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The bike came into my possession last year when I ordered it from CJ Sidecar, and I totally understand where you are coming from about them.
    Hence, that is why I am not talking to CJ at the moment about what I need to do.

As for the new owner, I am not sure what his plans are and how legal he wants to be. That is not my concern. I am happy in any way possible to help him go down what ever path he decides, but all I am worried about for now, is how and what I need to do at my end to relinquish my connection with the bike.

If I could get Fans contacts that would be great.

Thanks

6. #6 Re: How to sell a bike in Shanghai 
    PM'd you.
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #7 Re: How to sell a bike in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Cheers mate....

8. #8 Re: How to sell a bike in Shanghai 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    I'm not trying to be a prick, though I've been accused of this before.
    I'd take that as a compliment. Better than being called a pussy, in my little mind.

As for CJs ... we all live & learn. Dump it and make sure you craft a Bill of Sale with copies of both passports on it. Chalk it up to another China-tale.

9. #9 Re: How to sell a bike in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I dont know about that. At least a pussy is useful to me, I have no need for a prick, or at least not another one.

Yeh I think that will be my plan. I will just have to draft something as proof of sale and include both passports photocopied.

10. #10 Re: How to sell a bike in Shanghai 
    Nathan -

Another option is to find someone overseas interested in buying the bike off you - might even make a profit - and then having either CJ (Hami Lu) or Fan, or even a BJ shop handle the export for you. They can work you up some decent "papers" for the bike so it comes out as at least 25 yrs old and slips in under the emissions restrictions in US - not sure what Aust limits are.

They are real popular as mech toys all over, and generally much cheaper to buy that the Urals which are selling so well in Calif and rest of the US. The starting price for these is about $10-15,000 USD. Best part is that if they buy a CJ instead, they can still interchange most parts with the Urals -
    Sam --
    The older I get, the faster I was....
    2006 CJ750 Sidecar / 2012 Ducati MTSPP / 2013 SRX5