Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 614151617182636 ... LastLast
  1. #151 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rewi Alley View Post
    CF Moto NO DRAMAs

Regarding this:
    " I have a friend here in Nanjing, who has been riding his black CFMoto 650 NK for about a year now. He's willing to sell it because quote: "The bike's boring. Nothing happens to it. Nothing. I start it - it starts. I turn the light on - it's on. I brake - it brakes. Nothing fails, nothing breaks down. It gives me no drama".

Is your friend an Italian? Is his first name Valentino?
    No, no, the guy's Russian, the name's Yarik. Looks like there are more laowai riding CFMoto in nanjing than I know.

2. #152 Re: CFMoto 650s 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rewi Alley View Post
    I see New Zealand magazine Kiwi Rider has tested the 650TR and seems quite impressed. They make a good point about the bike being without any competition (as a light weight, mid-displacement touring bike with panniers as standard equipment).

Here's a link: http://www.kiwiridernews.com/2013/05...w-zealand.html

It seems as if one Chinese company has finally come up with a decent export model for, shall we say, 'western' tastes. I know China exports a lot of bikes into South East Asia, South America and the Middle East, but most of them are small displacement 150-200cc air-cooled singles.

And as Jialing has made no move to export the 600 single to our neck of the woods, the CF Moto 650 has gained a bit of attention. The fact is, the performance is virtually identical to a Kawasaki 650 or Suzuki 650 twin and some people in England have been racing them. At the same time, the engine is happy to run at the road speed limit without that 'straining at the leash' feeling you get from modern sports bikes (which should really only be ridden on a race track).

Having ridden around 20,000 km in China on 125 two-strokes and 150/200 four-strokes, I wonder how many places you can get close to exploring the CF Moto 650's performance envelope in the People's Republic. We saw a couple of places in Yunnan where you could get up it, but everywhere else, forget it. However, if they make one with a 21-inch front (or even a 19-inch front) wheel, shed some weight and fit wider handlebars, it could be quite a good thing in China.

Regarding comments about vibration through the 'bars, no one here has noticed that. Do your domestic market models come with bar-end weights? These have been used for years to quell the buziness in handlebars, particularly on in-line fours, but they will also work on parallel twins.
    l
    I live in downtown Nanjing and no, there's no place around to get the bike up to speed. Around here 40 km/h is a suicide. In fact, I've been using my wife's Suzuki EN 150 for a week now, 'cause of construction works around my area and inability to squeeze my CFMoto between the yellow plastic buffers and the sidewalk (hell, my e-bike doesn't fit in either!!!).
    As for the dual-sport / enduro bike build around that 650cc parallel twin, I'd go all in if they made it lighter.
    Had no problem with handlebar vibration whatsoever, BTW.

3. #153 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by CFMOTO Brad View Post
    Hey Grb, Yeah same happend to mine I think its just a bad fit around the hose try some gasket glue and a better clamp. I had some oil sweat around the filter too needed a a tighten, but all-in-all nothin major had Hondas do the same.
    Thanks, I will try it and then will post the results here. The liquid cames from the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Topmanda View Post
    HHmm there's a guy in my office building with a benelli 600 and 沪C plates, he already lost 6 points in less than a year as he was driving with his bike downtown. Basically 沪C plates allow you to drive in the countryside of Shanghai (I think it starts at Minghang district), but anything closer than that and you better count your points well.
    First I've heard of point penalties for a plate violation. That wasn't on my exam!!! Did your friend get stopped, or was it automated?

5. #155 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey Everyone,

Just picked one of these 650NK's myself today! As someone pointed out before, we have them some how restricted to be sold as a Leaner Legal bike here in AUS, I assume its simply a different ECU, anyone know if this is correct and if so where to buy an unrestricted ECU as here in Australia the dealers legally will not sell them to you.

6. #156 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Aus Jeff View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Just picked one of these 650NK's myself today! As someone pointed out before, we have them some how restricted to be sold as a Leaner Legal bike here in AUS, I assume its simply a different ECU, anyone know if this is correct and if so where to buy an unrestricted ECU as here in Australia the dealers legally will not sell them to you.
    Hey there Jeff hope you enjoying the bike, I have also investigated the type of restriction on the bikes in Aus and I think its simply in the intake/exhaust and the giant converter underneath. Induct the intake and put a strait through pipe on it and I recon your gonna get the desired result.

7. #157 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    Quote Originally Posted by CFMOTO Brad View Post
    Hey there Jeff hope you enjoying the bike, I have also investigated the type of restriction on the bikes in Aus and I think its simply in the intake/exhaust and the giant converter underneath. Induct the intake and put a strait through pipe on it and I recon your gonna get the desired result.
    Yeah but if it's an ecu restriction putting a straight-thru pipe on will rob your bike of all its torque and you'll get no extra kw, turning your bike into a lemon. You need some restriction in the pipe or you'll lose torque.

8. #158 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Yeah but if it's an ecu restriction putting a straight-thru pipe on will rob your bike of all its torque and you'll get no extra kw, turning your bike into a lemon. You need some restriction in the pipe or you'll lose torque.
    ??? I'm sorry I have to admit that I'm not an expert of such things, Though I now that Torque comes from the cam and gear ratios and the better a motor can suck in and expel air the better it will perform. the efficient burning of the petroleum is tantamount to the performance of any engine. though I do have reservations in regards to the O2 sensors and its effect on the ECU if emisions are deregulated. The first step in getting better output from any engine in any performance shop is to optimise how an engine breaths.

9. #159 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Surely the best way to understand the difference between a stock 650NK and the retarded version being sold as a learner's bike in (a seeming nannystate known as) Australia would be to do a part-by-part comparison between the two. Is there any way to accomplish such a comparison? Are unretarded versions available in Australia, presumably for sale for experienced riders? If so, how hard would it be to put them side-by-side in a shop and compare?

I'd start with the ECU, rather than pipes and other physical parts, since this surely would be the easiest way to restrict the bike's performance. I'd bet that the two ECUs have different part numbers.

Doesn't Australian law allow you to "unmodify" your retarded bike once you pass from learner status to a standard motorcycle license? If not, why not? This would seem to be a matter of basic civil rights. If you can unmodify your 650NK by simply swapping out the retarded ECU for a stock ECU, what would stop you from doing that even while you are still a learner, other than your own conscience?

good luck
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #160 Re: Steve's CFMoto 650 NK(春风 650 NK) 
    Brad sorry for being a bit aggressive in my previous post, bike power modifications not being very useful is one of my pet subjects. Anyhow don't take my word for it, check the videos on the web about dyno testing motorcycles and you'll quickly discover that stuffing more air and fuel in and allowing a faster exit doesn't always make a bike more powerful. It can if you use a dyno, without a dyno it's a bit like cat herding.
    th.jpg

Euphonius I believe the modification in Australia is to retard the bike down to a level which makes it similar in power to a 250, 20KW? Or to retard the bike to a 'provisional' power level maybe 50KW? At the end of these periods the bikes can be legally unrestricted.

Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 614151617182636 ... LastLast