Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 GS Rider Looking to Cross China... 
    Howdy all,

I've just joined up as I'm planning on going through China on my GS in Feb/March '09 and I'm looking for more help. Looking forward to getting lots of good tips'n'tricks for riding in China.

Cheers,
    TurboCharger

Welcome to the site turbocharger.

What area of China are you planning on riding through? It's gonna be a cold ride if you're coming through in Feb/March. Give us a few more details on your plan and I'm sure there will be lots of advice from the MCM crew.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

We are planning on arriving in China in late February in Yunnan provence then into Sichuan, Tibet and Xinjing. Leaving China via Kashgar. I know the weather will be cold when we start but I expect that if it is very cold we'll just stop and settle down for a while until it warms up again.

Given that we have our own bike and we want to temporarily import it into China without paying for a guide any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by turbocharger View Post
    We are planning on arriving in China in late February in Yunnan provence then into Sichuan, Tibet and Xinjing. Leaving China via Kashgar. I know the weather will be cold when we start but I expect that if it is very cold we'll just stop and settle down for a while until it warms up again.
    Sounds like a sweet ride and welcome to the board!

Given that we have our own bike and we want to temporarily import it into China without paying for a guide any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Ooooohhhh... that's a tough one. Some others have asked similar questions here before and it's worth searching for responses if you haven't already. Also, for some of the best GS in China knowledge around, be sure to hit up Chinabiker. He's a great guy and gen-u-ine rider.

Would love to hear more about your trip!

CC

note: Thread moved and renamed
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Hey Turbo Charger!

So we meet again!

I too am new to the site and planning to cross china in June 2009, coming from Cambodia where I have lived for the past, almost 8 years.

I would love to do the trip on just one bike, as us guys get attached to these things, but not averse to doing it on 2 or 3 different bikes if that means it becomes easier.

Will check out the site and see what people have discussed so far. I am thinking of going to the Chinese embassy in Phnom Penh next week and see what they have to say.

Turbocharger, where are you guys now? If youre in my locale (phnom Penh) lets meet for a beer.

Mick
    Attached Images

6. #6 crossing China - the route 
    The route takes me from Laos border through Yunnan to Chengdu then north to Xinjiang Provence skirting the mountains through Sichuan provence.

I have a fully detailed itinerary but I need help with the paperwork and entry into China. My preference is to enter and cross China without a guide as this is very expensive. Failing that I'm looking to join a group. I'm riding an '07 GS.

Are BMW's popular in China?

The route takes me from Laos border through Yunnan to Chengdu then north to Xinjiang Provence skirting the mountains through Sichuan provence.

I have a fully detailed itinerary but I need help with the paperwork and entry into China. My preference is to enter and cross China without a guide as this is very expensive. Failing that I'm looking to join a group. I'm riding an '07 GS.
    Unfortunately there is no documentation about the process to obtain the necessary paperwork, at least not disclosed to the public.
    You will, most likely, have to find someone who has a backstage view.
    Check out this thread for some info and links on this topic or try to contact the guys from Hiddenchina or Haiweitrails.

There were people who have made it on their own bikes through China without guide, but only a few and quite a while ago.
    I am not aware of anyone who managed to do so since the beginning of 2008.
    Also, 2009 may not be the perfect year to try - look here.
    If you have enough time you probably can sit it out at the border.

I doubt that there will be a group to join in this area at this time of the year.

BMWs are popular in some areas but not really widespread.

Good luck for your trip and keep us updated with anything which could be helpful for others.

Cheers

Andy

looks like you can add Xinjiang to the list as well .

Feb/March will be very very cold and tough on the Tibet-QingHai plateau and in all areas above Chengdu.

You have nearly zero chance to get the authorization to ride your own foreign plated bike unless you are part of a group built by a local travel agency. Be ready to pay a lot.

March 10 is the 50th anniversary of the Tibetan uprising. Chinese authorities expect troubles in all Tibetan populated areas and there is a big risk they will close them to foreigners.

Maintenance of your BMW can be an issue. Your visa will be certainly no more than one month so you can't wait too long for parts.

Do not expect to do more than 300km in average a day (no night ride unless you want to be dead meat) so one month is what you need from South Yunnan to XinJiang.

Another solution is to come in China, buy a local cheap bike, ride it from A to B then sell it. Few guys have done it successfully. Normally it will be illegal because you need a local driver license but it seems that Police doesn't bother too much about license unless like me you are involved in a traffic accident.

Good luck for your trip, riding in China is a fantastic experience.

I just got a reply from John Cafe, quoting me 4,500 euro, which is just too much to justify the trip for me, to do it alone anyway. It certainly seems to be well outside what have been normal for me to pay whilst living in Asia for the past. They must be charging a $100 daily rate plus $1500 fees.

I really need to link up with others to make this work which would mean redoing my schedule / budgets.

Another option is to do the bike buying and selling thing, i have some contacts in Guanghou who could help buy a registered bike.

Needs some more research

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast