Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Hello from China 
    -- Originally Posted by thedannywahl
    That ones currently export only due to the "new" emissions rules. So even if you manage to get one you cant reg. it. Course you could get a used 2010 model. ---

Thanks for the info!
    Am still searching options...and yes, am still open to suggestions / recommendations as well.....
    Sam --
    The older I get, the faster I was....
    2006 CJ750 Sidecar / 2012 Ducati MTSPP / 2013 SRX5

2. #22 Re: Hello from China 
    From points 10 and 11, it sounds to me like maybe wuhan has the same shitty laws as xi'an. When they outlawed bikes in xi'an a few years ago, they also outlawed bike driving licenses. Everyone who had a C1E had to get the E removed, and they removed the option of taking the test. There is now no way to get a bike license in xi'an. I find it incredibly selfish for this fucking local government to assume that none of its residents would ever want to ride a bike somewhere else in the country. Dicks.

3. #23 Re: Hello from China 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    ... outlawed bike driving licenses. Everyone who had a C1E had to get the E removed ...
    Wow! THAT is incredible! I've never heard of that before, and can't help wondering if it is the same in other primitive, regressive cities.

What about the "D" category? In Beijing, most are held by so-called "retired" or "handicapped" individuals who zip around on the 3-wheeled "things." "D" includes the "E" category.

4. #24 Re: Hello from China 
    Dongguan, Shenzhen, Guangzhou...etc. etc. etc. All banned the issuing of non-car DL's a long time ago, No E, No D. Poopheads

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #25 Re: Hello from China 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Dongguan, Shenzhen, Guangzhou...etc. etc. etc. All banned the issuing of non-car DL's a long time ago, No E, No D. Poopheads
    Cheers!
    ChinaV
    you might have to add Hainan Island to the list soon as two of my staff based in Sanya did a full driving license test recently and both were refused to apply for a motorbike (D) license besides the car license. ok, have to admit they are not native islanders.....

wasn't there something in Beijing a few years ago, foreigners (new arrivals) could not apply for any motorbike driving license, correct me if I am wrong please.

6. #26 Re: Hello from China 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    wasn't there something in Beijing a few years ago, foreigners (new arrivals) could not apply for any motorbike driving license, correct me if I am wrong please.
    I think it was 2002, or maybe 2003, when I got my Chinese C1D in Beijing. I simply did the 100 question written, due to having a MC endorsement from Canada. I wasn't a "new arrival", though, as I was commuting between Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong (my primary residence). I think I initially received a 3 year license, because it expired the same date as my home license (i.e., in 2005), then I renewed for 6 years, and then last year (2011), renewed for 10 years. Simple renewal procedures, both times.

I'm still surprised that the poophead jurisdictions are being so silly. I continue to learn new things about the Muddle Kingdom.

7. #27 Re: Hello from China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    So, if these cities (and lets say Wuhan is on that list), banned E's and D's. Is it possible to go get one in another city?
    Because a company I contacted said they can get me all the permits pretty easy, I just have to travel to a city of their choice to go pick up my permits
    and they want to charge me a bundle too.

Are companies like this legit?

Are these real permits?

8. #28 Re: Hello from China 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregsw View Post
    Are companies like this legit? Are these real permits?
    Oldies but goldies...... and stay away from the fake licenses offered at Taobao websites.

Scam catches foreign drivers / Shanghai Daily Newspaper (31st.June 2007)
    Some foreign motorists in the city may be driving illegally and be unaware of it thanks to a bogus application ruse. Overseas drivers living in Shanghai should only apply for a Chinese driving license with local police. Shanghai traffic police made the clarification yesterday following reports that some agencies are charging expatriates thousands of yuan to have licenses issued out of town. These licenses are not legitimate. Shanghai Morning Post broke the story on Thursday after an undercover investigation of the agencies. With photocopies of the driver's passport, driving license from his or her own country and head-shot photos, clients are told to expect a Chinese driving license, issued by out of town authorities, after a week to 40 days, the newspaper said. The foreign clients don't need to show up in person but only pass on the material to agents and wait for the licenses to arrive. Agents charge between about 2,000 yuan (US$263) and 5,000 yuan for the service. Shanghai Daily interviewed officers from the vehicle administration office under the General Team of Traffic Police who said licenses required by the agents are illegal. Foreign drivers should swap them for a driving license issued by traffic authorities in their exact area of residence. Shanghai traffic police are investigating the matter. "Expatriates with a Shanghai-issued residents' permit, should only apply for a driving license issued by Shanghai traffic police," said a police officer with vehicle administration. It costs 40 yuan to sit for a test on computer in Chinese road traffic rules. You can obtain a Chinese driving license the same day you pass the exam after paying 15 yuan for certification. To apply for the test, the expatriate need to come to the police office on 1179 Qingchun Road, with head-shot photos and a hospital-issued physical exam report. Applicants also need to take the driving license issued in their own country. Police said that international driving license holders are not allowed to drive in China before gaining a Chinese license. Questions about applying for a Chinese driving license should be directed to a hotline, 24023456.

Foreigners warned on out-of-town driving license / Shanghai Daily Newspaper (30th.June 2007)
    Shanghai police have warned local foreigners not to buy driver's licenses from out-of-town driving schools. For those who want a driver's license, the application procedure for a local-registered one takes only one day and a small sum of money, police said. Passing a written test is a must. For those who hold no license, police suggest them to learn to drive and sit for tests in the city.Foreigners in Shanghai have been targets of out-of-town driving schools since last August when the schools' business with city residents was ruined by local police. They were offering a driver's license service that required no written or road test to lure foreigners, said an insider surnamed Zhang. "The schools offer 'apartment service,' which suited many foreign people," Zhang said. They usually find it too troublesome to go to a city to do registration. A salesperson would knock at the door, collect some basic information, get the fingerprints and photos and take copies of the passport. Then, all in need to do is to wait patiently for at least 40 days when the applicant will receive a driver's license that has been registered outside Shanghai. "Though foreigners have to pay 1,000 yuan (US$131) more and wait longer, they find it convenient and efficient," Zhang said. Local students usually pay between 2,600 yuan to 4,200 yuan to get such a license from out-of-town driving schools. It takes at least 5,000 yuan from local schools. Training outside of the city allows students to get a license quickly. Local regulations require drivers to do 86 hours of in-car training, and they can't spend more than six hours a day on training. Drivers must also wait at least 40 days between taking a written test and sitting the actual driving test. The whole procedure may take three months. Other provinces don't have similar regulations, so students can get a license much quicker.
    Last edited by TB-Racing; 09-08-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: taobao websites.........

9. #29 Re: Hello from China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    Oldies but goldies...... and stay away from the fake licenses offered at Taobao websites.

Scam catches foreign drivers / Shanghai Daily Newspaper (31st.June 2007)
    Some foreign motorists in the city may be driving illegally and be unaware of it thanks to a bogus application ruse. Overseas drivers living in Shanghai should only apply for a Chinese driving license with local police. Shanghai traffic police made the clarification yesterday following reports that some agencies are charging expatriates thousands of yuan to have licenses issued out of town. These licenses are not legitimate. Shanghai Morning Post broke the story on Thursday after an undercover investigation of the agencies. With photocopies of the driver's passport, driving license from his or her own country and head-shot photos, clients are told to expect a Chinese driving license, issued by out of town authorities, after a week to 40 days, the newspaper said. The foreign clients don't need to show up in person but only pass on the material to agents and wait for the licenses to arrive. Agents charge between about 2,000 yuan (US$263) and 5,000 yuan for the service. Shanghai Daily interviewed officers from the vehicle administration office under the General Team of Traffic Police who said licenses required by the agents are illegal. Foreign drivers should swap them for a driving license issued by traffic authorities in their exact area of residence. Shanghai traffic police are investigating the matter. "Expatriates with a Shanghai-issued residents' permit, should only apply for a driving license issued by Shanghai traffic police," said a police officer with vehicle administration. It costs 40 yuan to sit for a test on computer in Chinese road traffic rules. You can obtain a Chinese driving license the same day you pass the exam after paying 15 yuan for certification. To apply for the test, the expatriate need to come to the police office on 1179 Qingchun Road, with head-shot photos and a hospital-issued physical exam report. Applicants also need to take the driving license issued in their own country. Police said that international driving license holders are not allowed to drive in China before gaining a Chinese license. Questions about applying for a Chinese driving license should be directed to a hotline, 24023456.

Foreigners warned on out-of-town driving license / Shanghai Daily Newspaper (30th.June 2007)
    Shanghai police have warned local foreigners not to buy driver's licenses from out-of-town driving schools. For those who want a driver's license, the application procedure for a local-registered one takes only one day and a small sum of money, police said. Passing a written test is a must. For those who hold no license, police suggest them to learn to drive and sit for tests in the city.Foreigners in Shanghai have been targets of out-of-town driving schools since last August when the schools' business with city residents was ruined by local police. They were offering a driver's license service that required no written or road test to lure foreigners, said an insider surnamed Zhang. "The schools offer 'apartment service,' which suited many foreign people," Zhang said. They usually find it too troublesome to go to a city to do registration. A salesperson would knock at the door, collect some basic information, get the fingerprints and photos and take copies of the passport. Then, all in need to do is to wait patiently for at least 40 days when the applicant will receive a driver's license that has been registered outside Shanghai. "Though foreigners have to pay 1,000 yuan (US$131) more and wait longer, they find it convenient and efficient," Zhang said. Local students usually pay between 2,600 yuan to 4,200 yuan to get such a license from out-of-town driving schools. It takes at least 5,000 yuan from local schools. Training outside of the city allows students to get a license quickly. Local regulations require drivers to do 86 hours of in-car training, and they can't spend more than six hours a day on training. Drivers must also wait at least 40 days between taking a written test and sitting the actual driving test. The whole procedure may take three months. Other provinces don't have similar regulations, so students can get a license much quicker.

Got it!

10. #30 Re: Hello from China 
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregsw View Post
    Got it!
    I hope what you got from those articles is that it is possible to be just a like a Chinese person and use the system agains itself. People from Shanghai and Beijing have it far to easy when it comes to things like licenses, motorcycle purchases, registrations, buying houses, etc. etc. In the "real China", things get done via guanxi and perseverance, not some wacky established system based on rules. Many of "those companies" are quite legit, and will get what you want done. F*#^ Wuhan and all the other stupid cities, a C1E or C1D license is valid everywhere in China, regardless of where or how you got it. I'm not saying some people haven't been ripped off or given fake licenses, but I know many people who have purchased legit license from outside the big cities.

If you do live in Beijing or Shanghai, it seems pretty stupid to go to an "agent" when there are easy and inexpensive ways to get a legit license.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast