Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hey hey China Moto! Scotsman in Zhaoqing here :) 
    Hi guys! Just discovered you while searching for info on a bike I am interested in buying.

I'm Scottish and living in south China, a nice little city called Zhaoqing. Anyone else close by?

I was riding this HJ150 -->

WheelieShot(med).jpg

Which despite any gripes I had about it, gave me plenty of fun. I got it back in January, and it's my first bike (had a scooter before). I was becoming increasingly eager to try out other bikes, and find out how other bikes compare at different prices.

Lucky for me, my bike got stolen last week, and I am saving again for something better.

In the meantime I'm running too and from work in the old scooter. As horrible as it is, it's wheels, and I appreciate having them.

IMG_20120904_132959.jpg

2. #2 Re: Hey hey China Moto! Scotsman in Zhaoqing here :) 
    Huh, at first it seemed to me that you do wheeling with HJ in a kilt with the tartan of your clan and, at the same time, as a collateral occurrence, flashing your fellow citizens.

Welcome.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #3 Re: Hey hey China Moto! Scotsman in Zhaoqing here :) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Kilt or no kilt, two wheels and a working engine are preferable to not having them. But if you are going to do wheelies, do consider wearing a bit more protective gear.

Welcome to MCM, and feel free to post about the process of replacing your stolen steed.

Cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: Hey hey China Moto! Scotsman in Zhaoqing here :) 
    Haha, no kilt I'm afraid. I'd like to get one some day, but they are expensive. Yea all I've got is a light weight helmet. Its just a 150 so those wheelies are going real slow. I only ever fell off once and landed on my feet. at least I'm not wearing flip flops in that photo... ;)

Ran out a gas this am and had to push my scooter to a gas station, holy crap that scooter is about 6 times less efficient than my old HJ. makes me consider buying a new bike sooner on credit. Does anyone know how that works here in china? I think I'd need that houkou residency card :(

5. #5 Re: Hey hey China Moto! Scotsman in Zhaoqing here :) 
    yeah those scooters guzzle gas like its going out of style
    what kind of bike are you after?

6. #6 Re: Hey hey China Moto! Scotsman in Zhaoqing here :) 
    Mmm I'm not sure yet, although I'm leaning towards the Honda RR150 (WH150-2). I just can't decide if monoshocks and rear disc breaks make it worth the few thousand extra RMB over other 150cc bikes. If the overall quality of the bike is that much better I will probably go for it.

7. #7 Re: Hey hey China Moto! Scotsman in Zhaoqing here :) 
    Hi Kiamo, from Personal experience I think the overall quality of the Sundiro Honda CBF150 is pretty good, as is the Yamaha YBR125. The RR150 is Wuyang, so should be good too. If you had the money how about a 250, a bit pricy at 23,800 the Haojue Suzuki GW250 is liquid cooled, fuel injected and they export them to the UK. Probably if you like doing wheelies a 150cc bike might bore you quickly. Mono-shocks and rear disk brakes aren't necessarily better, it depends on the quality of the part.

8. #8 Re: Hey hey China Moto! Scotsman in Zhaoqing here :) 
    Hi ZMC888, I would love a bigger bike but they are not permitted in my city(although I do see them occasionally). I have somewhere to store something bigger on the edge of the city that I could use for trips out of the city, but I need to do some more recon to figure out the process of getting it all street legal.

I'm considering this classic 250 in another thread. but there won't be any purchases for a long while. I've considered the GW250, but was soo appalled by the service at the Haojue garage, and impressed with the service in the Yamaha garage that I am very much encouraged to find a Yamaha bike to fall in love with.

Yea I hear you about quality. I'm still so new and inexperienced to biking, I'm finding it really difficult to know what's a good value for money decision that meets my tastes. I guess I'll just have to dive in and go through a few bikes over the years.

9. #9 Re: Hey hey China Moto! Scotsman in Zhaoqing here :) 
    Sweet wheelie bro!

I'm not too far. I'm in Huizhou. How's Zhaoqing

Quote Originally Posted by kiamo View Post
    Hi guys! Just discovered you while searching for info on a bike I am interested in buying.

I'm Scottish and living in south China, a nice little city called Zhaoqing. Anyone else close by?

I was riding this HJ150 -->

WheelieShot(med).jpg

Which despite any gripes I had about it, gave me plenty of fun. I got it back in January, and it's my first bike (had a scooter before). I was becoming increasingly eager to try out other bikes, and find out how other bikes compare at different prices.

Lucky for me, my bike got stolen last week, and I am saving again for something better.

In the meantime I'm running too and from work in the old scooter. As horrible as it is, it's wheels, and I appreciate having them.

IMG_20120904_132959.jpg

10. #10 Re: Hey hey China Moto! Scotsman in Zhaoqing here :) 
    hey Matt,

Zhaoqings pretty nice compared to other places I've seen. Not as ..err.. futuristic as Guangzhou but I like it here most of the time. It's pretty scenic and unpolluted, and there are some great rides through all the mountains. I see from Google maps that Huizhou is on the other side of Guangzhou. I plan on getting all legit this year, after which I'd like to start doing some proper road trips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast