Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Salutations from scenic Huizhou 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey all!

I'm Ben from Seattle, and my journey through China has led me to Huizhou in Guangdong Province, where the food is delicious and the girls are pretty :)
    I wanted to get to know the area a little, so I picked up a (well-loved) 1998 Honda WY125. It's absorbed a pretty incredible amount of abuse (the previous owner had apparently neglected to change the oil for at least several years, so when the little Cantonese garage man I took it too undid the screw to let the old oil out he was horrified to see ~2 ounces of pitch black sludge ooze into his tray and a recent rainstorm at the friend's garage where I'd been keeping it left my baby submerged in three feet of water for nearly a week), but she still runs great!
    I don't know too much about bikes and I've been having a hard time finding English language literature on WY125's - does anyone know of any good resources for that? I want to make sure I treat my little lady better than her previous owners :p

Thanks!

PS If you're near Huizhou give me a shout, and we can go village crawling sometime!

2. #2 Re: Salutations from scenic Huizhou 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Entropt,

Welcome to MCM, and let's see some pix of that bike. Sounds like a smart purchase. Were you able to get it registered under your name? At 13-years old, it should be dangerously near its mandatory scrapping date. Unless, for some reason, it's not.

As you'll see in other live threads, you are about to ride into a nationwide crackdown on unregistered, unplated, uninsured, unhelmeted or otherwise unlegal bikes. Watch your back...

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Salutations from scenic Huizhou 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Yeah as Euphonius mentioned all motorcycles have a maximum use by date often referred to as scraping date, meaning from first registration of the motorcycle for road use in mainland China the said ride will have a valid use for a maximum period of time, which can and does vary depending on the location the ride was first registered/plated. Once it reaches that date it MUST be permanently removed from the road. This also means that one cannot get/buy the compulsory 3rd party insurance. The same rules used to apply to other vehicle types but that apparently has changed in recent times, and car et al, can now stay on the roads for an indefinite period but have to undergo more frequent inspections as a result.

Make sure you carry all your legal documents as there is a huge nationwide crack down focused on all manner of things, but motorcycles, scooters and more are also targeted.

4. #4 Re: Salutations from scenic Huizhou 
    welcome entropt
    not much info needed for the mighty honda
    change the oil every 1000km
    set the tappets to 3-4 thou
    install new spark plug of ngk brandage
    adust tappets as required by the audio valve clearance sensory method
    ride the piss out of it
    p.s. clean the air filter now and again

5. #5 Re: Salutations from scenic Huizhou 
    Which model / A or C ?
    Honda MCR125 service manual (Similar to the "good old" A / C which also a OHC machine)
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10536...COSgnMLfwJu0IQ
    -
    Other model specific ref material can found via http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_609132.htm

6. #6 Re: Salutations from scenic Huizhou 
    Hi Ben! Certainly shows the reliability of the real Honda engines vs the Chinese clone crap, just keeps on going!

I think if you are trying to find out more about the bike a Google for Honda CG125, should tell you pretty much all you need to know about the bike.

Yes, as others have said, I would be concerned as the bike is now too old and should be scraped and probably cannot be insured. This however is a matter for yourself, understand the problems that could arise in an accident if uninsured, but you are your own guardian, it really depends where you are riding. In a country village I might not be very concerned, in a first tier city I just wouldn't ride it at all. Second or third tier I'd be pretty cautious.

7. #7 Re: Salutations from scenic Huizhou 
    The WY is the wuyang right? I have one too, but mine is a CG clone. It's slow, but it can find speed at times. The wy is the bigger one I believe. I think it has higher handlebars, and was designed in China.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Hi Ben! Certainly shows the reliability of the real Honda engines vs the Chinese clone crap, just keeps on going!

I think if you are trying to find out more about the bike a Google for Honda CG125, should tell you pretty much all you need to know about the bike.

Yes, as others have said, I would be concerned as the bike is now too old and should be scraped and probably cannot be insured. This however is a matter for yourself, understand the problems that could arise in an accident if uninsured, but you are your own guardian, it really depends where you are riding. In a country village I might not be very concerned, in a first tier city I just wouldn't ride it at all. Second or third tier I'd be pretty cautious.