Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Questions about highway usage and registration 
    First of all, nice to get on here again. It has been awhile. After having a 2005 Kawasaki ZRX 1200r stolen in Inner Mongolia, I have returned to Guangdong.

I am in the market for a new bike, and I have heard good things about Dalin in Jieshi. The town itself deals stolenish/lost paper bikes, but this bro has all of the hookups to make things legal. I've had a few friends buy from him. http://jszmoto.taobao.com/
    He charges quite a bit, but that's to make things legal.

Anyway, I am considering buying a Hayabusa, or a Yamaha FZ1 (the roads are great in this small city), and my friend is going to buy a CB600rr. What are the highway restrictions for motorcycles in China? Can he ride on the highway with a 600? Can I ride on the highway with a literbike?

What do you think I can get in terms of insurance, legality etc?

Thanks!

2. #2 Re: Questions about highway usage and registration 
    C-Moto Noob
    +1! I'm considering the leap to a Ninja 650 from my current WY125, but I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to take it on the Gaosu National Highway. Does anyone know what the requirements for highway use are???

3. #3 Re: Questions about highway usage and registration 
    Highway, Guangdong, forget it. Subject has been beaten to death on this site.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #4 Re: Questions about highway usage and registration 
    So has buying illegal bike... Yet people still want/ do!

5. #5 Re: Questions about highway usage and registration 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I don't believe there is anyone, anywhere, who can convert a stolen bike into a legal bike. Seriously, if that was true, why doesn't the stolen-bike market in Tianjin, and the riders of stolen bikes in Beijing (sourced out of Tianjin), just get it done? I think it is all just fake documents/plates/etc. I've never come across anyone who has actually done the "conversion", but I've heard people say they'd love to find out a way. I think it is BS.

6. #6 Re: Questions about highway usage and registration 
    Matt, you buy an illegal nicked bike and then you get it nicked? Then you want to go out and buy another nicked bike? For the love of God!

I'd buy a CFMoto 650NK or a Benelli BJ600GS and get it legally registered, insured with an imported lock and alarm, surely it would be cheaper, safer and more logical in the long run?

7. #7 Re: Questions about highway usage and registration 
    Trust me, I don't want another stolen bike. I had the wool pulled over my eyes before, and I don't want to fall for that one again. It's nuts how they stole it too.

Let me explain:

I paid for guarded parking at my apartment complex. The guys that had repainted my bike after a scrape had apparently made a key, went into the garage while I was on vacation. Picked up the bike (was locked in three places with alarm), and told the dumb ai yi that we were all friends. Never saw it again.

Anyway, about the jsz thing. I am pretty new to the legal foreign bike scene in China, so I wanted to get some insight. It seems the consensus here at MCM is that there are basically no legal foreign bikes outside of a few importers etc. I am starting to lean towards the CFmoto 650NK at this point!

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Matt, you buy an illegal nicked bike and then you get it nicked? Then you want to go out and buy another nicked bike? For the love of God!

I'd buy a CFMoto 650NK or a Benelli BJ600GS and get it legally registered, insured with an imported lock and alarm, surely it would be cheaper, safer and more logical in the long run?

8. #8 Re: Questions about highway usage and registration 
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I doubt anyone ever makes them legal in the western sense. In a few Chinese cities though, I would ride with the local biker group, everyone would help work on each other's bikes, and the police never bothered a big group. This was a nice touch. Unfortunately, I have moved to Guangdong, so the less than legal approach doesn't have that same countryside touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    I don't believe there is anyone, anywhere, who can convert a stolen bike into a legal bike. Seriously, if that was true, why doesn't the stolen-bike market in Tianjin, and the riders of stolen bikes in Beijing (sourced out of Tianjin), just get it done? I think it is all just fake documents/plates/etc. I've never come across anyone who has actually done the "conversion", but I've heard people say they'd love to find out a way. I think it is BS.

9. #9 Re: Questions about highway usage and registration 
    Matt, it's cool that you are thinking more towards a legal Chinese bike. Powerful R1s and Ducati's can be legally imported, but they cost big bucks even 2nd hand and have genuine paperwork. I had an offer on a Hyabusa a year or two ago, only 10,000RMB but it was an illegal stolen from HK bike that had had a horribly nasty life.

Neither a CFMoto or Benelli are my ideal bike, but they are a compromise sensible buy.

-Less likely to be stolen, as they are legally registered, police can be informed if anything happens
    -More than 100% cheaper than a new legally imported equivalent bike
    -More likely to be allowed on the freeway because they are made in China big bikes (as an exception)
    -Less likely to be vandalized, because they are Chinese made not Japanese

10. #10 Re: Questions about highway usage and registration 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    -Less likely to be vandalized, because they are Chinese made not Japanese
    So wacky that this is a serious concern. Yesterday I was driving a Japanese bike around Shanghai and into Jiangsu, then went into a Sushi restaurant for dinner. Of course I didn't see or hear anything but a Toyota dealership in Suzhou got torched!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast