Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 CB400 Super Four Gas Cap Stuck 
    C-Moto Guru
    Locking gas cap on an 03 Honda Super Four. Nothing like the feeling you get when you pull up to the gas station to get filled up for a ride, then discovering that the bloody gas cap will not open. From the look and sound of it, one of the two latches on the inside is opening, the other is being stubborn. Pushing down on the cap makes the mechanism lock up again but the thing will NOT open.

Question 1: there is a set of allen key type bolts on a ring around the cap lock. Will unscrewing them remove the cap so I can get at the mechanism?

Question 2: would a locksmith be able to open this thing, or will I have to take it out to a mechanic to have it drilled open?

Yes I've tried WD40. Sprayed a bunch into the lock and worked at it for a good 20 minutes, no dice.

As always, any help is much appreciated. Bike is one I sold to a friend, then stored for him over the summer. I'd like to be able to give it back with a full tank of gas at least.

2. #2 Re: CB400 Super Four Gas Cap Stuck 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Question 1: there is a set of allen key type bolts on a ring around the cap lock. Will unscrewing them remove the cap so I can get at the mechanism?
    we did exactly that once a mate lost his key to open the cap on his older BMW1150GS, remove the screws and you should be able to take the whole cap mechanism out of the tank.

3. #3 Re: CB400 Super Four Gas Cap Stuck 
    C-Moto Guru
    K, taking your word for it on that :). I heard that it just removed the outer ring, but at worst I sure as hell didn't want to send the other end of the bolts into the gas tank . Heading back in to try that this afternoon.

4. #4 Re: CB400 Super Four Gas Cap Stuck 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    K, taking your word for it on that :). I heard that it just removed the outer ring, but at worst I sure as hell didn't want to send the other end of the bolts into the gas tank . Heading back in to try that this afternoon.
    There is a fair chance it will not work .. it will depend a bit on the latch of the lock.
    If you are able to push the latch back after lifting the outer ring, you will be ok.
    If not, you might have a problem at hand.

You know how to reach me if needed

5. #5 Re: CB400 Super Four Gas Cap Stuck 
    C-Moto Guru
    Success! Although the gas cap latch mechanism attaches to the tank rather than the ring, I still managed to pull it off after removing all the allen bolts holding it on. Luckily it was only one side of the latch that was frozen, and after loosening the mechanism it snapped open. Dosed it with WD40 and it works like a charm. Feeling really good about that for some reason, and now I can put gas in the tank.
    Thinking the new owner needs to make sure the bike is not stored outside anymore...

Thank you gentlemen for the advice and words of encouragement.