Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Anyone bought and registered a bike legally in Suzhou? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi! I'm new to the group and have searched the forums, but I don't seem to find out how to register a new motorcycle here.

I managed to get my Chinese license and now want to buy a bike. I've been to a few shops in Mudu and Meicun (just outside of suzhou). They tell me that I need to give them ~800 rmb and wait a few weeks. They said that I can't get a legal plate in Suzhou or Wuxi. Something seems strange about this. Does this seem to be the way to go? I also had a guy tell me I could buy a used bike with a legal plate.

Anyone with ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bill

Billiam...

Although certain provinces and cities have different rules. You can register a new bike by taking your license, 1,000 small pictures of yourself and any other document you can imagine and going to a Driver and Vehicles Administration Center (name may vary) in your province. In your case, likely near Shanghai.

At the Admin Center, you'll likely pay for taxes, insurance and registration/plate fees which should be around 1,000 depending on local laws n' stuff.

Second hand bikes in China have already been registered and the plates travel with the bike for life, thereby entirely avoiding having to go to the Admin Center.

What kind of bike you thinking about getting?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Registration limits 
    C-Moto Noob
    Many cities or districts refuse registration of bikes, or they have strict requirements like only one vehicle on one hukou. Or limits on the cc. Sometimes shops are looking for a person living in a certain place to register a bike in her/his name.

4. #4 Thanks! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have been looking at the QM 200 GY or the Suzuki YBR 125.

I have seen the Suzuki at a few places and it looks like a good bike to ride. I have also riddeng it a few times with motorcycle taxis here.

I have a friend that knows a second hand shop. Might give it a look this weekend.

I've enjoyed reading the site so far. It looks like you have a lot of experience in Chengdu. I have a friend out there, maybe i'll come out in the spring time. It must be getting a little cold to ride there.

I want to do some kind of big ride next year. Have you had people ride through Chengdu from Shanghai? How long should I plan for a trip? Maybe two weeks?

Thanks,
    Bill

Billiam,

I'm not in Chengdu now, although I was for the past five years. For a trip from Shanghai to Chengdu, 2 weeks is enough for a one way journey. It really depends on what you want to see and how much time you can take off.

Good luck at the second hand motorcycle place and be sure to take some pics. The YBR is made by Yamaha I think and they now have a 250cc version available in China which looks promising so keep your eyes peeled for it.

What kind of riding did you do before getting to China?

CC

I think the area you are in and the visa you are on are important. Some areas it's just easier to put the bike in a trustworthy Chinese friend's name. Don't ride without plates, as it will get you stopped too quickly!

7. #7 Riding 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I like pretty much any kind of riding, a little off road, but mostly road bikes and touring. I've had a bunch of bikes over the years, mostly bigger bikes.

Since I am working here, my company is not in favor of me having a vehicle of any kind. Because of this, if I get a bike, I would like to be as legitimate as possible so I don't get in trouble with the government or my company. I have been here over 2 years now and really miss riding. I used to ride almost every day in the US. Usually that was 10k-15k miles per year. My bike is waiting for me in storage for my return.

I have my residence permit which should help, but I have been told by a number of locals I can't have a bike because I am close to the city. I see motorcycles riding around where I live every day but can't figure out what the rules are. I think I may be able to register it to my plant location because my residence permit is in Wuxi and my drivers license is Wuxi.

I've had a couple of people tell me they would register it in their name, but I didn't want to explain to police if I got pulled over why I was riding someone elses bike. I guess not a big deal?

Up in Wuxi, I have been able to ride some. There are a lot of motorcycle taxis and if I show them my license, they all have let me drive and they sit on back. That is quite a bit of fun and they all seem to get a kick out of it.

I see I goofed writing about a Yamaha last night. I think one to many beers.
    Attached Images

8. #8 YBR 250 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I forgot to ask, where can I get a Yamaha YBR250? That looks really cool.

Bill,

Hey a fellow Stich' wearer! Those things will save your ass in China... especially at 16,000feet!

Two years in China without riding is a long time! I last the entire of six months before I broke down and got a bike. Seeing all these people with motorcycles putting around the mountains of Tibet made me loose my mind... sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Even thoughh you may live close to the city, if you see people riding around then it's likely legal. Some folks tell you that it's very difficult or not possible just because they don't understand riding, think your crazy (or stupid) and don't want to deal with having you around as a liablility.

Don't worry about buying a second hand bike with someone else's name. The main thing is that the bike is in good condition and you have the correct documents. 80 percent of your troubles are over because you have your license so I suggest taking your time to find a bike which is good for you, your style of riding, and is realatively easy to repair (super double especially if you're considering long distance travel).

The rest is making plans and lots of elbow grease but that comes with the territory. Hey, did you bring your Stich' to China?

CC

10. #10 Stitch 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Yep, I brought my stitch to China.

Thanks for all the info. Do you have examples or know what the correct documents look like?

Here is my current ride with my home made model airplane trailer.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast