Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Geely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Geely 
    Geely is offering some interesting retro styled scooters.

Geely Group Zhejiang Motocycle Co., Ltd
    Last edited by MJH; 11-01-2012 at 05:37 PM.

2. #2 Re: Geely 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Went to Geely motorcycles down in lower Zhejiang in Taizhou, it was 18 months ago. I posted about it at the time on MCM. Sorry to say but the products were far from quality, the assembly line was surrounded by lots of bikes in various states of assembly, frames were stacked at one end, and that allowed me and a mate to check out the welding... fair to poor. When I visited CFMoto unannounced, the two factories and facilities were chalk and cheese.
    Geely like many manufacturers put together nice looking pictures of products that often differ in quality compared to real tactile products, photoshop is a highly regarded product with a cult following in China IMO.
    I will never buy any Geely bike... YMMV.

3. #3 Re: Geely 
    However, it should be acknowledged that their website has become, shall I say - normal. A few years ago, only a true masochist could browse it more than five minutes.

What drew my attention, is model JL150-14, underbone a-la Honda Sonic/Yamaha Spark/Suzuki Satria, with "vertical engine". As expected, this is CG clone.

Geely_JL150-14.jpg

Somehow, among C-motos, these underbones are not as frequent as those with a horizontal engine. Apart from this Geely, I know only for Lifan LF 125-26D - http://www.zr.ru/a/88501
    Last edited by Zorge; 09-17-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Added link
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

4. #4 Re: Geely 
    Geely Group has its work cut out for them, their global site contains a section; Brands and Products.
    That section does not cover all the brands and products that they manufacture as a group, the scooters seem like a step child the two wheeled division stands detached. Its not only that, their chosen brand names are….or come off as childish, for lack of a better term. Gleagle, Emgrand, Englon even Geely all seem to be sort of a play on English words. The other brands are listed on the Chinese site though, under a section titled Marketing Center. But still nothing about the scooters.

Most likely are aware that Geely acquired Volvo Automobile from Ford in 2010.

Here is some links on that and its progression/digression.

5. #5 Re: Geely 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Gleagle, Emgrand, Englon even Geely all seem to be sort of a play on English words.
    Sort of a play or not, but "Emgrand" EC7 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5I2nvg1zTY ) is best selling Chinese sedan in Russia.

Back to the bikes.

O how nice it would be that this is not "Photoshop": allegedly, "Geely" JL 200-2.

Geely_JL200-2.jpg

6. #6 Re: Geely 
    I see the QJ 4 valve 200cc in that image...

They only added a few things, they added a larger fairing and and some fake trellis, kind of looks like what they do on the UM X-Street.
    Last edited by MJH; 02-06-2015 at 05:18 PM.

7. #7 Re: Geely 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Geely Motorcycles, a division of Geely Automotive, make inferior motorcycles IMO, based on what I observed when I visited the Geely MC factory in Taizhou. Wouldn't touch one with a 10' barge pole.
    But YMMV
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #8 Re: Geely 
    QJ's making 4 valve GS clones!? That's new for me! Do they pump out close to 20 h.p.?

It is strange enough that large companies as "Geely" neglected one of its branches, especially when progress in the car making is more than evident, from the very unfinished and raw compact sedans CK, through MK family, to the present "Emgrand" branded sedans and crossovers.

9. #9 Re: Geely 
    Geely may eventually capitalize its 2 wheelers, that being invest in them and improve them? QJ has this 4 valve head for a 200cc it produces around 17hp I believe, it would be the engine in the RKV Factory.

They also have a 125cc 4 valve DOHC that is rated at 15hp.

KSR MOTO TR 125 SM

Geely and QJ share something, they both made major investment in brand name acquisitions. In that Geely could purchase from QJ as an OEM and offer motorcycles under its brand name. That is what I get out of an image of what I know is a QJ model advertised as a Geely. However it is only a single image and not much more.
    Last edited by MJH; 02-07-2015 at 10:03 PM.

10. #10 Re: Geely 
    C-Moto Noob
    ohh.. wow! I'm really interested.. Are they available in India?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast