Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    ho hum, move along then, nothing to see here...

...of course as things are the powers that be take no responsibility in the slightest that there is no one place to get up to date accurate information and all the arduous processes needed to complete the aforementioned requirements etc. To say nothing of the availability of plates and how one gets hold of them.. even asking a traffic police orificer will likely return variable results much like some countries ballot boxes post election day...

2. #52 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob PaulTheDevil's Avatar
    my tuppence
    i live downtown,as downtown as you can get. no bikes allowed on any road to my apartment. but a cop lives here with a huA licence and we regularly chat. he told me about a card you get.
    so my point. if you want to you can go to your local district traffic police station and ask for a special licence which they will fill out giving you special permission to drive on certain roads.
    now i don't work(don't need to) , i live in shanghai, so i used my gf's work address and made a route around to it using the roads i want. great thing is he just kept writing roads down till the card ran out of room..... no questions. and. no time restrictions. no day restrictions or usage. get stopped. 'im on my way to work.' (at 4 in the morning hahaha). greatest bit about it is. the road you travel may be longer than the the bit you use. and the card gives you ability to drive on it all. so i use a small 1000meter section of a road , yet i can now legally drive on any bit of it......also if you live in an area closed to bikes you can still legal use them.

now bits you can't. i found one hard and fast rule.... if you are on a road your not supposed to be..and you approach traffic or traffic light.... simply DO NOT GO TO THE FRONT AND SIT LIKE A LEMON WITH A DIMBASS GRIN ON YOUR BOAT RACE LOOKING AT THE COP. he will come to you he will fine you... just sit back a bit and watch , maybe 4-5 cars away. now when you get moving, just go. and they NEVER bother you. they to busy or lasy. so keep moving keep away and keep your licence.
    i will post a pic of the licence if any one wants , or ill send info on other stuff. but its got my addy on it so not gonna stick it public .
    hope this helps
    old enough to know better but young enough not to care

3. #53 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Amazingly, the red-light-running rider walked away from it. No explanation for why it explodes like that.

cheers
    Last edited by euphonius; 03-28-2013 at 03:14 AM. Reason: adding youtube link
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #54 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    Incredible, seems he does not even attempt to stop.
    On the blast, looks like an off road bike with most likely a plastic tank.
    Spilled fuel and hot engine don't go together, as it clearly shows.

5. #55 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    Incredible, seems he does not even attempt to stop.
    I'm guessing his attention was elsewhere ...

And yes, truly amazing he walked away! Some days are lucky days.

6. #56 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    What's wrong with hand signals now?

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    [...] Yeah, if it's only us in control of our fate on the bike, the risks are more manageable. But it's a zoo out there.

cheers
    Even if it was just us in control...

What looks like a crazy stupid crash can actually happen to anyone, depending on how much one's got in his head that day.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

7. #57 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post
    What's wrong with hand signals now?
    Nothing is wrong with hand signals ... nor is there anything wrong with light-hearted humour.

8. #58 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    nor is there anything wrong with light-hearted humour.
    Yeah, you better be careful what you say on this forum recently ...
    Several ppl. suffering from_____how does TB say that?_____"PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)".

9. #59 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    U got me wrong.

- - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Nothing is wrong with hand signals... Nor is there anything wrong with light-hearted humour.
    I only meant nothing's wrong with hand signals. I didn't mean to have a tone, nor to ruin your light-hearted spirit, and I'm sorry if I did.

- - -

Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    Yeah, you better be careful what you say on this forum recently ...
    Several ppl. suffering from_____how does TB say that?_____"PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)".
    I replied politely when Guyfawkes posted racist comments and shared his intention to attack a Chinese couple with knuckes & knife cause they looked like bike thieves.

I'm not gonna go mental over a hand signal joke. If it did read offensive to u, it wasn't meant to. I'm sorry.

- - -

To anyone & for Christ sake's,

If u felt offended by the sentence:"What's wrong with hand signals now?" and seek an apology, please PM me and I'll send u a private apology till everyone is cool.

If that is not enough and you still got the shakes, just hop on ur bike and u should be all right.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

10. #60 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post
    U got me wrong.
    Sorry about that - my bad - I need a good ride!

BTW, to set the record straight (although a few MCM members already know this). I confess that I own a Harley (actually, I somehow managed to buy a second). I also confess that I own black leathers & a black half helmet. And I also confess that my leathers have lots of HOG, HD and skull patches & pins on them (I even have a wallet with a belt chain!). And yup, I sometimes dress and act the pirate part. But, more than anything, I enjoy laughing at my ridiculous costume on top of an overweight frame (the bike, of course) ... it is all quite silly, to be honest. But I like it every now and then.

Then again, I also ride a painfully old & junky farmer Honda (125cc on a good day) with my farmer costume (one of those green army coats I bought to fight off the Harbin winters). Also lots of fun when I need to visit one of the jumbled markets on the outskirts of Beijing ... and I fit right in with the crowd, as I always have a smoke hanging from my lips (with its ash carefully kept in place - an amazing riding skill, perfected after years in China, of which I am proud of).

Some call me the Imelda Marcos of Beijing, but with bikes/costumes instead of shoes.

OK, we all need a group hug ... but I ain't gunna be the guy in the middle. I do have a few basic standards.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast