Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    The cameras are using weight sensors, just like the ones that trigger the traffic lights to change, that is why they wrote the law in Illinois, that laws allows people to proceed as if it s a stop sign once they determine the light is sensor controlled, because people on bikes and motorcycles were getting stuck at red lights that would never change, because the sensor will not pick them up, they are too lightweight to trigger the weight sensor.

2. #22 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    The cameras are using weight sensors, just like the ones that trigger the traffic lights to change, that is why they wrote the law in Illinois, that laws allows people to proceed as if it s a stop sign once they determine the light is sensor controlled, because people on bikes and motorcycles were getting stuck at red lights that would never change, because the sensor will not pick them up, they are too lightweight to trigger the weight sensor.
    I'm not aware of the authorities using the weight sensing system here in PRC, but it's a big country so the flavour here maybe a different flavour elsewhere. Similar situation for the road markings, which in Zhejiang are applied using a hot naked flame, so is not the typical spray on paint surface - lethal when wet. But the same road marking technique used in this province may well differ elsewhere in the country. As to the sensors, the ones here are a electromagnetic conduction loop, rectangular pattern, embedded in the road way on each side of the lane marking.

3. #23 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    3 tickets for running a red light I presume?

4. #24 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    I just assumed that it was weight, never considered it was a magnetic field? So it would be the lack of metal mass of a motorcycle then not the weight.

There actually are several different types of systems.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dr...ht-camera1.htm

I know we have them here the traffic light sensor are a rectangle in the pavement and do not sense the motorcycle, I would not chance the speed sensors though, I have been ticketed twice in the mail by them, happened in the car and at night the light from the flash is insane

5. #25 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Most of the red light and speed cameras operate and are activated by an conduction (sensing) loop (rectangular shapes most often) embedded in the road surface.
    China has one of the most advanced system for traffic cameras (speed, red light, ..) and at least in the big cities the induction loop technology is history, because it doesn't work well on muti-lane roads. Look at the cross beams at intersections and note several units, which are cameras, infrared flashes and radar motion detectors. Cams record a permanent video track and violations are marked on a event track. The video is monitored in real time to detect motion and calculate speed in interaction with traffic light signals. Software later automatically cuts out sequences x seconds before and y seconds after an event. Another application tries to read the number plate. A bunch of guys are then putting it all together as violation in your record where they choose from a list of different "crimes" to determine your points and fines.

So far the theory ->
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    ... I think it't pretty safe to conclude the camera system here works about as well as everything else.
    Andy

6. #26 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Topmanda View Post
    3 tickets for running a red light I presume?
    No, they were all speeding tickets in my car, all at the same camera. I always forget about that one when I get hammered and drive home. My buddy got hit by the same camera 11 times, when he went to pay they gave him a discount.

Why you guys worried about points, just use someone else's license when you pay the fines, almost every car wash offers that service, costs an extra 10-20 quai per ticket.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #27 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    Banned
    No, they were all speeding tickets in my car, all at the same camera. I always forget about that one when I get hammered​ and drive home.
    watch out the female forum police is going to get you......

My buddy got hit by the same camera 11 times, when he went to pay they gave him a discount.
    got a funny story as well, many years ago a mate bought a new VW Santana (black very basic model) and was speeding every night after 12 midnight along Yanan Elevated Road (from Peoples Square) in Shanghai to get home in Songjiang district, every night he had to pass approx. 20 speed cameras and he did so for two years. first car check up (after the initial 2 year period) he just walked away and left the car at the inspection station as the speeding tickets (fines) exceeded the value of the car (he never took the car out of Shanghai into another province as they would have stopped him at the check points / toll gates).

another good mate just lost his D-license for speeding on the expressway during the early morning (225k's in 100k zone in Zhejiang, Audi Q5) for two years, they got him at the toll gate coming into Shanghai municipality from Zhejiang province.

8. #28 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    another good mate just lost his D-license for speeding on the expressway during the early morning (225k's in 100k zone in Zhejiang, Audi Q5) for two years, they got him at the toll gate coming into Shanghai municipality from Zhejiang province.
    225 km/h on a Chinese expwy is a suicide attempt and, besides a hefty fine, he should have lost all his licenses (I wonder why one loses D for speeding with a car, but maybe because TIC). Plus, two weeks in a countryside madhouse among other lunatics would be a proper start to treat mental illness, which there obviously is.
    Andy

9. #29 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    ... two weeks in a countryside madhouse among other lunatics would be a proper start to treat mental illness ...

One of the few social programs in China funded by the government.

10. #30 Re: Driving in Shanghai: Traffic lights, big avenues and one-way streets? 
    OK, here's my driving way in Shanghai:
    - I often run through red light if it's safe (means arriving to a complete stop, look on both sides to check for potential incoming cars/scooters before going through), unless it's big crossroad.
    - I drive on road forbidden to motorbikes (beijing xi rd, yan'an xi rd, hongqiao rd) but at slow speed, plus try no to stay on it too long
    - I dont respect one way street, but I do respect pedestrians, cars and bikes arond (means I drive slowly and carefully).
    - I often use the horn or go up in revs (some chinese just don't give a fuck to horning, but do care about a big Roar!) in order to make myself visible by cars, pedestrians around.

That's it: what's your way???

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast