Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Crash bars 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Dealer swore the whole engine was made in Japan. I said I couldn't believe that, and that some of the parts like bearings would be made there, but surely not the whole engine. Anyone have any ideas about this?
    I've heard that same story. There was a first batch of GW250s released in the early/mid summer of 2012, but there was a transmission problem. After a 2-3 month delay, the next batch was released with the new transmission and a few other updates. A group of us were told, as we were waiting, that the engine/transmission assembly was coming from Japan. BTW, the early adopters were given the updates. Although, if I was buying a used GW, I'd look for one with a September/October 2012, or later, registration.

2. #52 Re: Crash bars 
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH
    that the engine/transmission assembly was coming from Japan
    Maybe internals are mostly made in Japan, cases in China?

3. #53 Re: Crash bars 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Maybe internals are mostly made in Japan, cases in China?

Im almost certain its imported from japan.... Just like MItsubishis's MIVEC engine thats being use to series of LANCER EX models here in china, reason why a lot of chinese consumers still going for lancers inspite of its outdated features and designs. The fact that the engine is imported thus realible is enough reason for the car to sell itself.

4. #54 Re: Crash bars 
    Quote Originally Posted by xtoss
    Im almost certain its imported from japan....
    Are you sure? Where is your information from?

I had a Sundiro Honda CBF150, 100% reliable all made in China, also Loncin make a BMW engines here for export. Surely it's just a rumor that helps sell the bike most likely, as importing engines from Japan will massively increase costs, and that's the last thing these companies want to do.

5. #55 Windscreen 
    I purchased an aftermarket windscreen for the GW250. It works well to keep the airflow off my midsection. It is taller than a typical sport windscreen.

The one thing I do not like about it is the mounting parts which attach to the mirror stems were white – not a good color for a bike that comes only in black or grey. I will paint them later. Also, the adjustable bars seem to be a bit long, but that is ok, for now. When I move my bench grinder and polisher into the clubhouse, I will cut the length & polish the ends.

There is a small gap under the windscreen (over the headlight housing), which must allow some air through, but I don’t feel it.

6. #56 GPS mount 
    I also purchased a GPS mount.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=20645168053

It was nicely done, with a replacement head bolt. The one shortcoming is that the holder does not compress enough to hold an iPhone. Ii is ok, in my case, because I will be using a larger dimensioned Garmin Nuvi. Another minor shortcoming is that the replacement head bolt (with the “S” emblem) doesn’t line up perfectly – I will require some appropriate thin washers.

Here is the original, smooth, head bolt.

Here is the replacement head bolt (notice the “S” is off alignment)

The standard plastic mounting stalk

And my old iPhone … the phone is too small to be properly gripped by the mount.

I will now need to find an appropriate position to mount a USB outlet. That will require removing the dash to see if there is room behind the lower face plate of the dash to flush mount a marine-grade, water resistant, USB outlet. Probably get something from West Marine. In the interim, I’ve ordered one of these off taobao:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=21141720023

just to check out the quality, and see how it mounts. But I don’t expect it to be great.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 04-29-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: typos

7. #57 Re: GPS mount 
    By the way, I noticed on the ride home that my LCD display in the dash has begun showing a solid bar with the word "Maintenance" inside it. Hmmm, I will need to check into that - the owner's manual I received is, naturally, all Chinese. I will need to find one in English, at some point.

8. #58 Re: GPS mount 
    The GW250 is not listed as an approved model yet with the US EPA, when it is it will detail were the bike is manufactured and detail also the engines country of origin separately. So if the engine is made in Japan it would state that or at least it should.

Honda sells a 50cc scooter made by Sundiro the Metropolitan in the USA, the GW250 will be the first Chinese manufactured motorcycle sold under a major brand name in the USA. Not counting the 50cc Honda scooter.

9. #59 Re: GPS mount 
    A link to a pretty dubious article on Visordown.com about the CW250 design: http://www.visordown.com/features/lo...ion/22663.html

10. #60 Re: GPS mount 
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Halt View Post
    A link to a pretty dubious article on Visordown.com about the CW250 design: http://www.visordown.com/features/lo...ion/22663.html
    "Desirable B-King concept"!?

B-King is grotesque.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast