Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Suzuki GW250 "S" 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    There is another thread that went a little off the rails, but thought I'd throw one in here (Street) with pics & my two fen worth of comments.

Caveat #1 - I have actually not seen one in the flesh, only read about them in the sales brochures (these pics are from scans I did of the brochure) and online, and chatted up a dealer.

Caveat #2 - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When BMW launched its (now infamous, and oft copied) dual-sport split front fender "beak", I was dumbstruck, thought the BMW folks had a bad-acid trip, and I was sure this new, butt-ugly design would last no more than a year, if that. Yeah, well, I was wrong.

So, here it is (click for larger images):

GW250S 01.jpg
    GW250S 02.jpg
    GW250S 03.jpg
    GW250S 04.jpg

Shown in blue, it is also available in white and in black.

The base model does not come with the rear bags, or the bat-wing engine guard. Its base price is apparently 25,600 (the regular GW250 is 23,800), but subject to finalization. The factory is building them now. I have no idea how much the luggage set, or the bat-wing will cost.

There is now a side-stand switch (hmmm, I thought the regular GW also had one?), a brighter headlight, a 4-way flasher and different handlebars.

I suppose I like the fairing (not sure until I see a real one). I am definitely NOT a fan of the rear luggage - it looks like tupperware in a cheap chrome frame. It reminds me of the Suzuki GN series' rear luggage that the police use.

And what must be the strangest "feature" is a reading light on top of the trunk ...

GW250S 05.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that, perhaps, a trunk mounted brake light might have been a better idea? But what do I know.

2. #2 Re: Suzuki GW250 "S" 
    The bat-wing also looks remarkably similar to the old GN series ...

GW250S 06.jpg

The instrument cluster is identical to the regular GW250 ...

GW250S 07.jpg

A key change is the handlebars. They are now a regular, tubular set (perhaps making it easier to attach "travel" things to, like a GPS?), with a height that changes the seating position to be more upright, although the foot pegs appear to remain in the same semi-sport position ...

GW250S 08.jpg

A pic of the original GW250 handlebars can be found on my other thread, here.

This pic gives a bit better detail of what the new handlebars look like ...

GW250S 09.jpg

And, finally, the specs from the brochure. In most respects, they are the same as the original GW250 ...

GW250S 10.jpg

Personally, I would stick with the original GW250 and perform the very easy mods myself (bar change, better looking luggage, and better bat-wing). The fairing looks interesting, but I think a simple windscreen is just as good (weighs less, and is more adjustable).

Nevertheless, I bet Suzuki sells a lot of these. The original GW250s are still difficult to get. As I noted in my other thread, I was surprised to recently learn that Suzuki has sold approximately 550 of the original GW250 bikes in just Beijing city, within the past year. And according to the largest Suzuki dealer in Beijing, this city is considered a backwater by Suzuki - the really big sales numbers happen in South China (and, of course, exports).

3. #3 Re: Suzuki GW250 "S" 
    Not much of a fan of this S model. However the GW250 has proven to be possibly the best selling over 125cc motorcycle in China for years, and isn't doing so badly in exports either.

Surely time for Haojue/Suzuki to step up to the plate and manufacture a 500-600cc workhorse twin with similar DNA in China?

4. #4 Re: Suzuki GW250 "S" 
    C-Moto Senior
    I actually think this bike looks all right. But, the last I heard, we may not even get the standard GW250 in the USA. I was interested in the standard as a great small Hawaii Island street bike, and we even have a Suzuki dealer in Hilo, but not looking like it's coming. Anyone know otherwise?

5. #5 Re: Suzuki GW250 "S" 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello Everyone,

Not too bad looking although I will also stick to the GW250 without the "S" personnaly speaking.
    By the way, I'm planning to buy one and the dealer just told me last week that they have suspended the production righ now but do not have more info on that. Anyone heard about that? I guess I will have to wait another month before riding in China... :(

6. #6 Re: Suzuki GW250 "S" 
    Welcome Stev

Quote Originally Posted by Stev View Post
    ... the dealer just told me last week that they have suspended the production righ now but do not have more info on that. Anyone heard about that?
    I've heard that same story, from a dealer - but he took my order (about a week ago) for another GW, with an outside delivery date of July 15. We'll see.

Surprisingly, in Beijing, there are not many 2nd hand ones for sale. And the ones that do come up for sale are usually sold quickly. BTW, if you find a 2nd hand one, it is a good idea to get a post August 2012 build (on the VIN tag).

7. #7 Re: Suzuki GW250 "S" 
    Quote Originally Posted by birdmove View Post
    ... we may not even get the standard GW250 in the USA.
    I recall reading somewhere that the GW is indeed planned for the USA & Canadian markets, but I can't recall where I read that, or when the expected date was. BTW, I think it will be called the Inazuma 250 outside of China.

8. #8 Re: Suzuki GW250 "S" 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Lao Jia Hou,

Yes, i tried to find a 2nd hands in SH but I couldn't get a good deal and prices were pretty much the same as a new one so I gave up and decided to go for a new one with the one year warranty. Let me know if you managed to get it on July 15! :)

9. #9 Re: Suzuki GW250 "S" 
    Quote Originally Posted by birdmove View Post
    ... we may not even get the standard GW250 in the USA.
    It is now on the Suzuki USA website, but no price/date. Looks like it will stay with the GW250 name.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%....aspx#Overview

10. #10 Re: Suzuki GW250 "S" 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    There is another thread that went a little off the rails, but thought I'd throw one in here (Street) with pics & my two fen worth of comments.

Caveat #1 - I have actually not seen one in the flesh, only read about them in the sales brochures (these pics are from scans I did of the brochure) and online, and chatted up a dealer.

Caveat #2 - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When BMW launched its (now infamous, and oft copied) dual-sport split front fender "beak", I was dumbstruck, thought the BMW folks had a bad-acid trip, and I was sure this new, butt-ugly design would last no more than a year, if that. Yeah, well, I was wrong.

So, here it is (click for larger images):

GW250S 01.jpg
    GW250S 02.jpg
    GW250S 03.jpg
    GW250S 04.jpg

Shown in blue, it is also available in white and in black.

The base model does not come with the rear bags, or the bat-wing engine guard. Its base price is apparently 25,600 (the regular GW250 is 23,800), but subject to finalization. The factory is building them now. I have no idea how much the luggage set, or the bat-wing will cost.

There is now a side-stand switch (hmmm, I thought the regular GW also had one?),
    hid headlight kits a 4-way flasher and different handlebars.

I suppose I like the fairing (not sure until I see a real one). I am definitely NOT a fan of the rear luggage - it looks like tupperware in a cheap chrome frame. It reminds me of the Suzuki GN series' rear luggage that the police use.

And what must be the strangest "feature" is a reading light on top of the trunk ...

GW250S 05.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that, perhaps, a trunk mounted brake light might have been a better idea? But what do I know.
    nice very nice.. Just love the review. Bit more stylish and looking like good buildup..When will be the bike available in the market?
    Last edited by CodyRamsey; 07-05-2013 at 06:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast