Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Crash bars 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    True enough.

I don't really understand the "crash bar" idea.

One thing they are good for is you can more easily install good wind shielding for your feets on them.

2. #42 Re: Crash bars 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    One thing they are good for is you can more easily install good wind shielding for your feets on them.
    Good point. Sorry folks, I haven't updated this thread regularly. More later, but for now the GW continues to operate perfectly (although not often as it is winter).

3. #43 Re: Crash bars 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear LJH, if the time ever comes that you actually drop a bike, you'll discover the central benefit of those crazy crash bars -- they substantially reduce the chances of your foot or leg getting pinched, caught or crushed under the weight of the bike in a getoff where you don't quite, uh, get off. Needless to say, I hope you continue your incredible run of uprightness!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #44 Re: Crash bars 
    Just seen this come up in recent news

Suzuki GW250S.jpg
    Kennon

5. #45 Re: Crash bars 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I think that fairing'd bike is the "police version", but put into the regular production line for average-Joe customers.

The dealer I bought my GW from (Qili Motors in Beijing) has great customer service. The first bike I bought from Qili was in 2010, when it was a small, messy, hole-in-the-wall shop - but it had a good reputation in the Chinese motorcycling community for being honest. Zoom ahead 3 years (2013), and that consistent no-BS business model has resulted in Qili expanding to take over a city block, on two sides. In the past 6 months, it has sold several dozen GWs (and quite probably literally hundreds of other bikes).

Now, with Beijing's riding season starting up, Qili offered free oil changes, bike check-ups & adjustments to any GW owner that showed up at the doors of its new Service Center. It also had Suzuki's factory service manager on hand to chat with customers.

A very rare "breath of fresh air" in Beijing, especially where certain expat-focused shops "deal" in rip-offs. Kudos to Qili for taking those crooks' business away, and understanding that customer loyalty is built, and valuable.

Here's my Baby B getting some love & attention ...

another shot, with my buddy "Mr Red" GW in the background ...

More pics of the event on a Chinese forum (click here).

Qili is smart - while they were giving me a free oil change, the owner steered me over to a shiny bike he thought I might be interested in ... yeah, I am probably going to buy another toy. So much for my "free" oil change.

6. #46 Re: Crash bars 
    If that faired version ever goes on sale, I'd consider it as a reasonable step up for my wife (from her EN 150, that is). Wonder how much more will the faired version be over the regular one...

7. #47 Re: Crash bars 
    3k more...unofficial price

8. #48 Re: Crash bars 
    C-Moto Noob
    this is really one nice bike. in turkey ppl dying to get one( shipment still didnt arrive yet) and price is way more expencive there compare to china

about 11.000 turkish liras which is about 38000 CNY

9. #49 Re: Crash bars 
    Quote Originally Posted by xtoss View Post
    3k more...unofficial price
    Makes it be about 25000 - 27000 yuan without the plates... Fine price except for I got my 2nd hand car for 25500...

10. #50 Re: Crash bars 
    I had a quick ride on a GW250 yesterday, not where I'd really like to ride it on a mountain road, but in a busy city. However I did get a chance to have a 5 minute test ride.
    Sitting on the bike impressions are good, lowish riding position, really good tacho cluster, slightly racy but comfortable seat position, super comfortable seat.

Railed corners with confidence, excellent brakes and a tad more torque and power than a YBR250. I wouldn't buy one, a 250 just isn't enough power for me with viable, legal 600cc options. It's a shame because those 600cc plus bikes are opening a can 'o worms in terms of reliability, but they are too much bike to ignore. I'd recommend the GW250 to anyone unfamiliar with Chinese roads and who needs a reliable machine to tour the sealed roads in China.

Quoted price 23,000, plus 500 registration.

Dealer swore the whole engine was made in Japan. I said I couldn't believe that, and that some of the parts like bearings would be made there, but surely not the whole engine. Anyone have any ideas about this?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast