Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: QIanjiang down

1. #1 QIanjiang down 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ouch had an accident yesterday with a electric scooter guy here on Xin Hua Lu in Wuhan

The main roads all separate electic scoots and bycicles in a special lane alongside all major roads this has a barrier to prevent using main road motos and cars use this.

I was on way home about 30kms per hour straight in the right hand lane when this guy on elec scoot was also in main road decides to cross three lanes and double back to use a gap a pedestrian crossing.

He darts across right in front of me and "Screech" "Bang " I skid and plough into the feckless idiot who claims he was stopped in the middle of the road.

cops arrive check my license green log book and Plate then asses the situation before concluding this guy should be the other side of the barrier in the segregated bike laneand not cross the busy 3 lane road to doubleback to cross at the pedestrian crossing.

Bike faired ok to be honest broken front mudguard two small dents on tank where bars hit it landed on his elect scoot preventing most road rash

Me I got a sore back when I landed on the bars

Good thing I got all documents and legal or wonder what the outcome would be

I couldnt be arsed to give the guy hassle as my bike was only lightly damaged although today my back is sore .

On reflection was pretty unavoidable but common in China you can never account for what seem like totally improbable manoeuvres by locals

The cop was kinda cool about it all also glad I was wearing good kit gloves jacket and AGV lid

After a quick check slowly road home all seems ok after a further check of forks and frame all bike looks ok just f small scrapes on my baby :-((

Be careful out there guys it's a lottery when shit like this will happen to ya;-)

2. #2 Re: QIanjiang down 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    sorry to hear that, but glad to read that you are okay and that your bike faired quite well. I understand that it is a hassle and all, but I wouldn't have let the guy of so lightly myself. That doesn't mean I'd have tried to take him to the cleaners either, as that would be an exercise in frustration. Simply put, the costs to repair the damage, perhaps a day or two off work to get your back right (I'd likely not bother with the spinal CT or radiographs but that depends on the extent and severity). If you don't pursue such things, the person will likely learn little from it. It is within your right to stand at the accident scene and bargain the amount using the police as the mediator. Been there and done that, a couple of occasions with the police in attendance and a couple of times, where I have negotiated (demanded) a reasonable amount to rectify damage. It works. Not to state what might not be obvious, while we outsiders might walk away from these experiences not having demanded money/compensation fairly or otherwise, and consequently might think that we are thought of as reasonable when actually the locals will most often (not always but often), think we are stupid for not holding out for restitution and that we all (westerners) have too much money already. YMMV.

Absolutely need to be aware, but use the horn it is your likely saviour... I use the things all the time... any intersection, any cross road, any access or ingress point, any other road users or potential road users, and other vehicles, any narrow lane way... all get a couple of friendly "toots" from any one of my pair of electronic 120db arihorns. Swear it has saved my arse!

3. #3 Re: QIanjiang down 
    Sorry to hear about your fall. I hope your QJ did some damage to the electric bike. That may make the rider think again.
    I also came off my QJ a while ago when some numpty opened their car door into the traffic. My bike survived with barely a scratch but I was pleased to see that his car door was twisted out of shape and wouldn't shut.

4. #4 Re: QIanjiang down 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy66 View Post
    ...Good thing I got all documents and legal or wonder what the outcome would be

(snip)

On reflection was pretty unavoidable but common in China you can never account for what seem like totally improbable manoeuvres by locals

The cop was kinda cool about it all also glad I was wearing good kit gloves jacket and AGV lid

(snip)

Be careful out there guys it's a lottery when shit like this will happen to ya;-)
    Dear Astroboy,

It's impossible to prove the negative -- i.e., that your outcome would have been far, far worse had you not been both legal and wearing safety gear -- but common sense and experience tell us your conclusions are spot on correct. Had you been unlicensed or unplated or uninsured, the chances are very good that you'd be in some very deep doodoo right now, and maybe even in the pokey for 15 days of administrative detention.

Sorry to know that entropy caught up with you, but very glad to know you were fully prepared and came out on the positive side of the risk equation.

Do get that back checked, but be careful that you don't get fleeced by the hospital with a bunch of needless tests!

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: QIanjiang down 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi guys thanks for your concern and the helpful advise as for me I'm ok my back is more bruised than anything a heat patch today and some Chinese medicine makes it more comfortable I reckon after a week I will be as good as new (well no worse than before)

I know I could have made the guy pay for damage and some hospital fee etc but in all honesty I just can't be arsed things like this happen and in a city like Wuhan it is more a matter of when rather than how.

In fact I like the flexible approach taken to road rules here it makes getting around far more convenient I also live in Shanghai and although rules are more strictly enforced I probably would not be able to have as much freedom or afford the licence plate to be fully ok to go everywhere anytime so I too ride a electric scoot there.

The spill was kinda low speed too as in town it's not so easy to build up great speed between traffic Lights

I have been riding more than 20 years in UK and had my fair share of self inflicted crashes and injuries from being a young hot head this one was in avoidable I think but will still keep my eyes more open for this kinda thing but you know car doors scooters dogs cats chickens pedestrians buses and trucks there all out to get ya sooner or later
    Cheers guys back on my bike again by the weekend;-)

Bob