Time to vent ...

I've owned a lot of Harleys over the years, and dealt with a lot of dealers in Canada, the USA, Europe and the Middle East. I acquired my first new Harley back in 1976, a Liberty Edition AMF dresser (which was a total POS). Anyways, my expectations for Harleys is not really high, but one expects at least a little, little bit of service from a dealer ... especially since they charge ridiculous, inflated China prices.

Anyways, I bought a new 2012 Harley in Beijing ... picked it up earlier this year ...

Part 1 - My delivery:

The brand new bike had large, obvious smudges on the paint. It appeared to be some form of grease. It was on the tank and rear fender. This is something NO respectable dealer would permit during delivery. I naturally assumed they would clean it. My first incorrect assumption. Instead, the "customer service rep" (CSR) called some teenager from the shop to clean it. So the little boy showed up with a can of Carb Cleaner and a dirty old rag. WTF?!?!?!?! Forget it, I will clean my new bike myself.

The bike is wheeled outside. the CSR tried to show me the bike's operations. He couldn't start it. I then pointed out that the kill switch was off. OK. He then tried to demonstrate the lockable gas cap - he couldn't open it. I showed him how a Harley gas cap works. I then asked if they could adjust the shocks for me (a larger guy), because the shocks were at their softest setting. The CSR guy said "you have to make an appointment with the Service Department." Huh?!?!?!?! Please ask the mechanic for the shock adjustment tool, I will do it myself in under a minute. Nope, sorry, you need to make an appointment.

I ask about gas - the CSR rep says "there is enough gas to get you to the gas station." F me - I just paid a HUGE whack of money for this bike (FULL price) and I don't get a f'ing tank of gas (we're talking a Sportster tank)???? Whatever, TIC.

I ask if they can prep the tires? Complete blank stares from the dealer's group of CSR that have now assembled (since I seem to be teaching them about the bike). So, I explain, could you maybe check the tire pressure? Also, can you remove that shiny, super-slippery showroom crap on them? Response: oh, your tires have air in them, and the tire wax will be removed by the time you get to the gas station. OMG.

Fine ... I ride away, totally pissed off, slipping and sliding down the road (seriously, that tire stuff is deadly!), with my low fuel light flashing away, and pull into the busy gas station. Fill it up and the tank had been totally empty. I mean, it is bone dry - I tried to slosh the gas around to see what was in there - it was dead silent. I am sure the dealer uses a syringe to measures the fuel it puts in - just enough to get a person to the gas station.

Part 2: Plating the bike

The Harley dealer charges an outrageous price for legal A plates, adding several thousand to the market price. Therefore, I said "I know exactly how much your agent is charging for plates, and it is 5,000 less than what you are trying to charge me." The dealer says "fine, you telephone him." OK.

Well, the Harley dealer doesn't give me the brackets to mount the odd-shaped Chinese plates. I guess they think they are worth the 5,000 rmb. I later discover that the Harley dealer actually doesn't have any license plate brackets. (more later)

Part 3: Servicing the bike

The bike blew its regulator around 100 kms (no big deal - this is a Harley). The dealer replaced it (after a mild argument), under warranty, but made me feel like it was giving me very special customer service by fixing an obviously faulty item on a brand new bike. At first, the dealer tried to claim that maybe I had done something. Huh? WTF? The bike had 120 kms on it. What could I have possibly done to my bike ... and why, for F sake? I've since learned that the 2010 onwards Sporties have had regulator problems (something the dealer should have known).

Part 4: More plating

Harleys are sold by the Beijing dealer without the license plate brackets (I know - it is F'n incredible, but true). Well, during the current police crackdown in Beijing, bikes without properly mounted front plates are getting fines and the rider gets 6 points. OK, I thought I'd check the dealer to see if they had done anything. I go by the store last Thursday. The manager says "no, we do not have any Harley front plate mounting brackets - people just double up the plates on the rear, or not ride with the front plate." I say "yeah, well, that's illegal ... and I spent the big bucks to have a legal bike ... I don't want fines and/or points."

After realizing that he is losing an obviously ridiculous argument, the manager finally sends me over to another dealer (owned by the same company as the Harley dealer) to buy a Vespa front plate holder for 35 rmb. Huh? Vespa?

Whatever ... I go over to the Vespa dealer and get a front fork bracket. It doesn't work perfectly, but at least it is something. That was Thursday. Oh yeah, that Vespa dealer (again, it is owned b ythe same company as the Harley dealer) wanted to charge me 20 rmb to bolt it on. Hmmmm ... no thanks ... I think I can handle a 12mm wrench on a single bolt.

The very next f'n day, the Beijing Harley dealer posts a notice on the HOG website ... "free front license plate holders available - come and get them." Assh*les.

OK Harley - do you want to know why experienced riders are switching to Vics? Fix your f'n dealers!!!! I am old enough to remember the 1970s, when Harley was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy ... and every Harley owner was bitchin' and complaining about the dealers of old. Don't think it can't happen again ... Harley may very well turn into a t-shirt and coffee cup company.

/rant