Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Loncin 重庆隆鑫机车有限公司 
    Husquvarna Terra and Strada, also utilize that engine. Loncin had the engine on display at CIMA, with the Husquvarna colorization.

650 by mjhirz, on Flickr
    The LX650 is front and center on this Loncin website.
    http://motor.loncinindustries.com/
    Last edited by MJH; 07-06-2017 at 02:39 AM.

2. #12 Re: Loncin 重庆隆鑫机车有限公司 
    Who can buy the bike in China? It is not affordable to most people in China, the areas where motorcycles can be ridden are outside of the areas where people earn enough to buy them. That’s my perception of marketability.

Seems that they need to have A plates in all the areas that banned motorcycles, they could add A plates to all those cities and in that dealers that sell all the Chinese manufactured bigger bikes. Seems to me the only way to ensure that these new offerings actually succeed is also ensure that they have a market, that is to make sure that people that can afford them can own them.

But do not expect that to happen, it is not the national government banning motorcycles it’s the provincial governments that are banning bikes. The two areas that have A plates are national Shanghai and Beijing are administered by the national government.

If the provincial governments do not allow the registration and titling of these new offerings in cities where people have the incomes to buy them, then the sales of these will never be realized, not in any quantity.

3. #13 Re: Loncin 重庆隆鑫机车有限公司 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Actually it is the city governments that legislate and effectively ban motorcycles from the cities. No amount of postulating or otherwise about the reason, logic, intent or validity about such bans on this type of website will make one i-ota of difference, unfortunately. Also those Chinese that have money, won't be interested in these mid sized displacement bikes (though they are large displacement to the vast majority of Chinese who know little else) unless said motorcycles are part of a JV and/or carry a foreign manufacturers name. This is where Benelli and QiJiang with the BJ600/QJ600 have undoubtedly been rather successful since there is a nice Benelli badge on the tank. Most affluent Chinese though who have deep pockets and want the best are really not interested in anything from a JV or made inside mainland China bike and definitely not one made from a Chinese manufacturer thank you very much (who can blame them). There is a certain level of discrimination against any product of this nature which is made inside China compared with the same product imported from abroad, the latter of which is the more desirable of the two. It is why BMW, HD et al. are doing so well despite the high entry fee. If the range of models from either manufacturer were made inside China their desirability would suffer despite the lower entry fee.

True story. Did this research as part of my eMBA I did several years ago in Shanghai. An exclusive luxury brand entered China's luxury retail space, opening an exclusive invite only store in Shanghai. They had plenty of potential customers in the store, exclusive with invite only who attended, but sales were sluggish. The luxury brand didn't understand why, after all they had reviewed the market, thought and assumed the knew the potential customers habits. Selected what the company thought were acceptable price points. Didn't sell the quantities forecast. Sales fell short of projections. Company scratched their heads. Why?
    The company hired an external market research company to find out where the company was going wrong. Were the products not right for the market place? No. Was there demand for the product range? Yes. Were the products desirable? Ye. Were the price points too high? No. In fact the problem was the potential customers were not turned off by too higher prices, just the opposite. The potential Chinese customer had an expectation that the prices should have been higher, or at least that was their expectation considering the exclusivity of the luxury brand, they thought the prices were too low. This aligned with the customer feeling that their product purchase was not exclusive and luxury enough. That was the barrier. When the market research company reported this back, the luxury company changed their strategy a little, and increased the prices across a wide section of the product range. The result? The company could not keep up, demand out stripped supply. The company has opened several other stores in key markets throughout China and are very successful today, and their pricing policy is considerably higher in mainland China than elsewhere, yet sales are doing better then ever here.

4. #14 Re: Loncin 重庆隆鑫机车有限公司 
    like Bikerdoc says; I will wait for the CF650. maybe until then, I can figure out how to get a bike legal in this town. until now there is no way.

5. #15 Re: Loncin 重庆隆鑫机车有限公司 
    They could raise the prices on imports and simultaneously introduce lower plate prices, actually lower plate prices for A plates in areas that currently ban motorcycles. That would allow the very wealthy to get the exclusive import brand they desire and the premium will make them feel special. The upper middle class will not be able to afford the luxury brands and plate prices, but could afford the domestic brands plus the lowered price of a plate.

I agree the probability of something I post on the internet affecting the regulations and policies of china are extremely low, but not zero though, simply because its on the internet.

6. #16 Re: Loncin 重庆隆鑫机车有限公司 
    VOLPE

VOLPE by mjhirz, on Flickr
    Last edited by MJH; 07-06-2017 at 02:41 AM.

7. #17 Re: Loncin 重庆隆鑫机车有限公司 
    The Volpe is intending to compete with the Renault Twizy

I cannot imagine either selling very well, they both come with price tags starting around 7,000 EUR

Renault has a dealer network…that makes the Twizy worth much more.

It is not a secret that Loncin is behind this venture, its just that they are not advertising that they are, they are instead buying the rights to the name Zagato and using that name to sell the vehicle. Once again another example of brand name whoring, a brand name in reality is built over time, it then becomes ingrained in the minds of consumers through perceptions, however those perceptions in validity are based on real world experiences.

Zagato is a design house, they have nothing to lose in VOLPE, Renault is a auto manufacturer they have to maintain standards or consumers will avoid their brand.

Not using the Loncin brand name or diverting to another brand name is that an attempt to out Volpe the consumers?

8. #18 Re: Loncin 重庆隆鑫机车有限公司 
    43,800 RMB for an untried and untested (other than engine) single cylinder bike? You gotta be joking!

I'd take QJ/Benelli, Jialing or CFMOTO over this any day of the week. Yes they'll say 'but it has a BMW engine'. If you think having BMW's most unloved engine in your bike suddenly entitles you to an extra 10,000 RMB, not IMHO. Sales will probably reflect this. If however the price is wrong and it's actually 33,800 RMB still don't want it, as there is multi cylinder competition for a bit more and a proven single cylinder bike at that price.

9. #19 Re: Loncin 重庆隆鑫机车有限公司 
    I have seen a fair few Renault Twizy especially in London being used as inner city transport they have there downsides though not having side windows but i have even seen one or two parked up at Uni

Kennon

10. #20 Re: Loncin 重庆隆鑫机车有限公司 
    Have you heard anything about the Dacias, very cheap.
    http://www.dacia.co.uk/vehicles/sandero/explore/

The Duster is not bad and for the price I would look at them....

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast