Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Ni Hao from London 
    Hi fellow bikers
    My name is Sui-Leung, I grew up in England, and have been living in London for (too) many years.
    I'm so pleased to have found this site, reading and seeing photos of fellow Chinese bikers having fun in China - this will act as an eye-opener to European and American bikers, there's fun to be had in China too!!!
    It's my ultimate DREAM to spend time riding around China, especially Shanghai and Ningbo - where my late father came from, so if anyone with information on licensing requirements, hiriing / buying an affordable bike for touring in China, please let me know.
    I am surprised by the high level of English that you guys seem to have, I'd even say a lot of you write better and more correct English than native English speakers!! 'Well-done' to your schools!!!
    Hope to see some of you one day.
    Sui-Leung

Sui,

Howdy and welcome to MCM. More than a few of us here have experience riding in China and understand that China is one of the coolest places on the planet to ride. You may be surprised but in the adventure riding community, China is one of the places people dream about riding but don't because of the sometimes harsh conditions like vehicle import, weather, and language issues.

The reason why our English is so good is because most of us are Westerners of some sort. MCM has a very diverse representation from countries all over the world and I hope it continues like that.

Regarding riding in Shanghai, you could start by searching the post which are already up as you may find a decent body of knowledge regarding your question. What I can tell you right now is that Shanghai is one of the world's least friendly motorcycle friendly cities in the world right now. If you want to ride in China, you may want to consider riding some "other parts" which would be just as nice and more moto-friendly.

If you're doing a "searching for your roots" kind of deal then go for it, but the areas around Shanghai may be pretty well developed although, as ususal, there's some great experience to be had in the countryside of China just about anywhere!

Paz,
    CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    The reason why our English is so good is because most of us are Westerners of some sort. MCM has a very diverse representation from countries all over the world and I hope it continues like that.
    CC
    Hi CrazqCarl, I'd briefly read about you somewhere else (ie your other websites etc), you're from the US, is that right? How cool it is to be living in China!! I do envy that.
    If it's not too personal a question, what is your ethnic background? As you do look quite Chinese to me.. do you speak fluent Pu Tung Wha?

We'll meet - one day!!
    Colourblind

CB,

HAHAHA...actually I lived in China for 5 years and a couple months ago moved back to the US with my wife. Living and riding in China is an awesome experience good for your mind, body and soul. If you're looking for a moto adventure other than big western cities, China is a great place.

I'm actually half Chinese and half American from English and Scottish decent. On my mothers side there is some evidence of having some middle eastern blood in me as well so I'm all kinds of mixed up and loco! I learned to speak Chinese ("pu dong hua" in pinyin, Mandarin in English) while on the road and working in China so know enough to have fun, get into and out of trouble.

I really do think it's great that you have an interest in riding China and it's certainly possible but suggest you do as much mental preparation as possible and forget any expectations of what you think the experience will be like. Although some things may be similar, everyone's experience there is entirely unique, exacerbated by the tremendous recent growth.

This is not meant to be discouraging in any way. I note this because others have come with expectations and left with broken bones. That said, I think anyone can make it if you, smile a lot, keep your head up, ears out, eyes open and awareness peaked.

So when you going to ride in China!?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Colourblind, awright geezer? Trying to make you feel at home!

I'm from the UK originally, but I've been living in the China for over 6 years and have a wife and baby here, I'm an English teacher BTW.

Your late father was from Ningbo? I spent a few weeks there a couple of years ago, it's a well developed city, and the locals are pretty wealthy and friendly, although there are many Chinese from different areas trying to get-rich-quick there, it might be a good place to start, although I think that the licensing rules will be tough in a wealthy area like that, if you still have family there, start there and get them to arrange everything for you.

Answer these questions...

1. How far do you want to go, and what kind of riding do you want to do?
    2. Do you have a full UK/Euro license? If so, get an international driving license and attempt to get a Chinese driving license when you get here.
    3. Do your research on bikes, some people have paid over the odds for old 125cc bikes and have wasted loads of money due to lack of knowledge. Big bikes are serious $$$$$$$ if they are legal.

250's are the biggest reasonably priced bikes, but are not that common.

I'd buy this for hardcore adventure, about 1600 pounds at current exchange rates (Shineray 250)

Or if I was staying on the black stuff I'd buy this (yamaha YBR 250) about 2400 pounds at current exchange rates.

Lots of other choices around, just don't buy a cheapo 125 just because there are so many around and easy to buy, you'll need determination.