Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Shanghai - Moganshan 
    Hey all,
    I'm gonna hit the road Oct 3 to Moganshan. I haven't ventured out of Shanghai on my RR 250 and looking forward to the adventure. I'm gonna do the non-toll way: Highway 318, then 104 as someone suggested in another thread. I imagine I'm in for 5 hours one-way but I'm not going for a speed record. Taking my wife with me, I'll see if she can get any pictures. I was fascinated with Mark Kitto's story, I'm gonna see if he is still in China- it would be great to meet him at his restaurant.

2. #2 Re: Shanghai - Moganshan 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggins9 View Post
    I was fascinated with Mark Kitto's story, I'm gonna see if he is still in China- it would be great to meet him at his restaurant.
    MK is camping with friends at one of the Moganshan mountain tops for a few days, ask Egle, the Moganshan Lodge manager to try to call him but that particular mountain area has a very weak mobile phone signal......
    Was planning to head out as well but three BBQ's in four days took the toll........

3. #3 Re: Shanghai - Moganshan 
    I arrived at "The Lodge" just to see Mark Kitto drive off in his side car motorcycle. So I didn't get to talk to him but it's ok. It was a great trip. We went, SH-Wukang-Moganshan-Anji-Zhouzhaung-SH. All-in-all everything worked out well. My navigator had my android phone with the GPS program "Locations." I did use google maps some but with Locations you can pre-download maps for entire provinces so you don't use data. I know google maps just added some pre-downloading of maps but I don't know if you could choose many provinces, I'll look into it though.

Our main issue was how uncomfortable my seat is! We bought a pillow halfway through the trip and sat on that. It helped a good deal. But I want to see if I can get someone to add a LOT of padding to this seat. If it sucks, I'll just buy another stock seat on taobao for 200RMB.

My other complaint was that my high-beam is burnt out (it keeps happening) so I may try to upgrade to an HID headlight. PaulTheDevil mentioned a place he got his at 508 YuYao Lu. I will look into that.

But overall, a huge success! The Regal Raptor held up like a champ, no problems. I got stopped through at a police checkpoint on 318 as I was coming back into SH. He said "jia shi zhen" (license). I said "keyi," handed him my drivers license and he said, "hao!" That's my kind of encounter with the police, short and sweet.

I highly recommend driving up Moganshan. If the flat streets of SH bore you, be prepared to drive up a steep grade in 1st and 2nd gear the whole time. It really was a challenge and you have to concentrate on driving 100% of the time- an amazing experience.

IMAG0451.jpg

IMAG0436.jpg

IMAG0444.jpg

4. #4 Re: Shanghai - Moganshan 
    Not sure if anyone is interested but I got a few nice things done to the bike today - I'm Happy!

HID Kit installed at the Peugot dealer on Yu Yao Lu-120RMB
    Rebuilt seat at the market on HuTai Lu, MUCH more comfortable-120RMB
    Wash-20RMB
    Oil Change-40RMB
    Fixed blinker bad connection, tightened foot shifter knob bolt-Free