Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Bonjour from Shanghai ! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi everyone,

Just found the forum while looking for sidecar info in Shanghai. I recently moved here. I have been riding motorcycle for about 11 years. I am starting to feel the need to get myself a bike again, never lived without and after few months I am slowly starting to feel a serious need..

I have never drove a sidecar before, never even think about having one, but I saw those CJ side in the street, army replica and I guess as many foreigner, I just feel in love with the style.

I haven't much to spend on it, someone I barely know got a used one for 15k, with plates, conditions is excellent (at least it looks like) and I am wondering if I can find one for the same price.

I can see many shops, but very few classifieds offer, I don't want an official one or a brand new one, I just want to get my butt on it and feel the wind.

If you guys have any recommendation, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance and ride safe :)

Tibo

2. #2 Re: Bonjour from Shanghai ! 
    Banned
    Welcome. Stay far away from the CJ's, they only look cool but useless for serious riding...... You can't polish a turd but roll it in glitter!

3. #3 Re: Bonjour from Shanghai ! 
    Welcome!

First go check the thread http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...is-is-China%29

After that you are all set to try find a good and cheap sidecar in China.

4. #4 Re: Bonjour from Shanghai ! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I'd second the advice TB-Racing provided... stay far away from a CJ750 outfit... they are problem child's needing lots and lots of attention (high maintenance), and the license plate is a big headache... and lots of tricks will be played on you at your cost. Be warned!
    Take your time, but if you want a side car (I can't think of anything worse for crowded cities in China) then consider if you will the JiaLing 600 (JH600B). TB-Racing has one... check out his threads.

5. #5 Re: Bonjour from Shanghai ! 
    Welcome Tibo
    Take TB's advice and stay away from the CJ. For 15K you get cheap shit, painted with "Bauernblind". That means looks good, scrap inside. You will spend a lot of money for repair. Mostly they have 24 Hp Flathead engine. There is no flying hair in the wind. They overhead very fast and need to cool down before you can ride on. Consider a nice Chinese bike for your needs

6. #6 Re: Bonjour from Shanghai ! 
    Wow, so much hate for the venerable CJ; are you guys all having a bad day? Let's not shit on motorbike history. I've put 50,000km on mine and still going strong.

Tibo, you'll have a hard time finding a good legal one for that price in Shanghai, most of the dealers there have realised they can sell them for double that price. If you want to ride one in shanghai, you'll need to have one with the coveted shanghai A plates. There are probably only about 50 legal CJs let in Shanghai and they are disappearing fast (due to the mandatory scrapping date)

If you have a chinese D license i can put you in touch with someone who might have one to rent for you.