Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Shineray 重庆鑫源摩托车股份有限公司 
    That's actually a fair nice retro styled bike. Clip-ons, rear-sets, tail cowl, pull the rear fender off and hang the lights on the back, build a cafe racer in an afternoon.

2. #52 Re: Shineray 重庆鑫源摩托车股份有限公司 
    That’s what HMC did and likely it took an afternoon to do it.

HMC 400 by mjhirz, on Flickr

Projected price in the UK 4500 GBP

Price of a new CB500F 4799 GBP

Sorry cool bike but certainly not worth that price at best 3500 GPB
    Last edited by MJH; 07-11-2017 at 12:00 AM.

3. #53 Re: Shineray 重庆鑫源摩托车股份有限公司 
    The CB400SS was a revisit of Honda’s history when they offered them in Japan, 2001-2008 , they offered them in color schemes of the old CB350 twins from 1970-1974 as well as a few other paint options that were from other CB Models. There are probably as many as 10-15K of them still on the roads from that production period.

This would be the colors of a 1970 CB350

Here is one that has a color from a later model CB350
    Last edited by MJH; 11-30-2013 at 11:27 PM.

4. #54 Re: Shineray 重庆鑫源摩托车股份有限公司 

5. #55 Re: Shineray 重庆鑫源摩托车股份有限公司 
    There is something seriously complex going on around the disposition of the Husqvarna factory in Italy.
    We know that from the Shineray branded bikes on display in Milan that they are somehow involved.

My guess is that when BMW sold the brand they kept some of the technology, then the Austrians kepts some as well, the rest in rights may have been sold to Xinyuan. However that may have came with an agreement to maintain support of the legacy line that being 2013 and earlier. That is complex since some of that is BMW based technology and some other transferred technology to the new Husquvarna.

My guess would be that we will see some of the bikes made in China, the engines that are neither the BMW or used by the new Husqvarna. I believe that would or that may require maintaining an operation in Italy and in that retain some of the staff there. They would manage support of the legacy line of models parts supplies. That is were it gets real complex because they may also end up being a distribution center for Chinese made models as well that being what is after 2013?

The Austrian are trying to unload that responsibility for the legacy line. But they are offering a carrot for that exchange?

6. #56 Re: Shineray 重庆鑫源摩托车股份有限公司 
    Most of the production equipment was moved to Austria, Shineray leased 700 Square meters of the factory for six year and retained 35 employees.

The product line split, that’s not covered in the article. It seems that Shineray also acquired some rights to some designs. They showed those designs off in Milan, would they be making these in China? Then selling them and supporting them through this operation as well as the part of the legacy line of Husquvarna that they are now part of.

Its all very weird, seems all awkward, I think it was a trade for the designs. The trade was or came with a six-year obligation to maintain part support for the 2013 models and earlier for at least six years.

However that could be expanded to parts and distribution of all that Shineray manufactures into Europe, however that still requires a sales staff and also a retail sales network. It is awkward because the Husquvarna sales network would now be selling what is made in Austria? They may or may not be interested in what Shineray offers. They may or may not? Its just an awkward way to begin.

7. #57 Re: Shineray 重庆鑫源摩托车股份有限公司 
    C-Moto Guru
    Speaking of Husqvarna, recently their new KTM-related owners sold both the 2-stroke and 4-stroke engine technologies to GasGas. That's the pre-BMW technologies, AFAIK.

8. #58 Re: Shineray 重庆鑫源摩托车股份有限公司 
    Its interesting, there could be more going on here, Shineray leased part of the factory in Varna for six years. I am not sure how all this worked out now that GAS GAS merged it operations with OSSA. Then bought the engine technology. Its complex, but Shineray is involved. That offers lowered cost production out of China and both GAS GAS and OSSA may be now linked into that?

I think about dealer networks and supply chains to those, Shineray needs that and Gas Gas and Ossa have that in Europe. I wonder what the plan is for OSSA and it announcing expanding into street models. Then there is actually a need to support the legacy line of Husqvarna, pre 2013. Other then the BMW technology models there is some common technology being shared here. That or those have to be manufactured and distributed and supported.

Gas Gas merged it operations with OSSA and rumor is that they did that out of necessity as in being cash strapped, so they may have been able to get funding for the acquisition of the Husqvarna technology and maybe it was Shineray that funded that? Its a complex deal and high risk, trials are not a huge market and venturing into new markets requires expanding lines and also dealerships. Also if the people at Gas Gas and Ossa can get some influence at Shineray they could get influence over a lowered cost supply chain and also work in developing compatible model lines for and to expand into a larger market share.

9. #59 Re: Shineray 重庆鑫源摩托车股份有限公司 
    OSSA has very good parts support system and they offer legacy support in that.
    http://www.ossa.co/IdentificationChart.aspx

That is something that the Chinese need to study and understand, they need to get control of their offerings and development and be directed into a focus on technical details and support.

They could be feeding OSSA and also developing there own identity as well, they and most all the Chinese manufacturers need to work on some sort of continuity in their offerings and should avoid too much cross branding, but they can certainly share engines though and in that also share some levels of supply chain and support systems.

10. #60 Re: Shineray 重庆鑫源摩托车股份有限公司 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post

Projected MSRP in China 20K -$3,2000.00
    I test-rode this bike last week and I have seriously been contemplating changing my CFMoto 650 NK for it. This bike, finally called 鑫源XY400-SS, has a nice pull in all gears and a throaty exhaust sound. It's really lightweight and handles OK. For me, that's be a perfect city bike. If you search for it on taobao. you will get 3 sellers offering it @ 19800 RMB. I thinks it's a decent price given that everything over 250cc in China is a "big bike" and all.
    What I liked about the bike: brakes, maneuverability, overall design and simplicity (air cooling, carburetor).
    What I would be cautious about: finish first. The paint looks OK, but it's somewhat dull and unexciting. All those stickers on the bike definitely need to go and a higher-quality repaint job should be done. The handlebars are much too narrow for my liking - I would definitely install wider ones. The seat leather is not leather at all, but a questionable material, probably Chinese army surplus sourced. Weird thing with foot pegs - the front ones look like they belong there, the rear ones are agricultural at best and look like some Russian tank spares. The tires will have to go as well.
    Then there is always a quality question with the Chinese bikes - you never know, it might be a gem, it might be a lemon. Then, should I have problems with it, where do I get the spares from? The dealer has no ideas, taobao has no spares listed.
    And, last but not list, it has an oil reservoir hidden behind the side covers, and two oil lines (steel ones, I believe), routed along the exhaust pipes, leading to the lower right of the engine case. Should I try to jump a curb or ride down the stairs or hit a huge bump, those oil lines seem to be easily bent or broken on impact. I got no idea as to why they were designed this way, but to me this design seems unwise in just too many ways. If it was done for oil cooling, then what was the point routing them along the exhaust pipes, as those get hot, you know. If that was done for better oils circulation, I see no reason why a 400cc single won't be able to keep the engine oil inside itself. Adds overall complexity to the mechanical design, which I am not in favor of.
    Overall, I'd be real happy to have it as my second (third, fourth...) bike just to customize it and see how it fares in the long run. And I'd get get rid of those ugly mufflers too...

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast