Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 SHANGHAI Garage/ Lockup/ Warehouse Space to Rent/ Share/ Borrow Anything.....?? 
    So, courtesy of Deppon my now slightly disheveled and very muddy JH600 Sidecar is in Shanghai and I managed last night to do a 10pm stealth mission from the Deppon Qingpu depot into downtown and the bike is now parked up and covered outside my apartment. Bearing in mind I am yet to sort plates this was a rather nerve-wracking ride as typically around every corner and at every crossroads The Fuzz were on bikes and in cars waiting to seemingly pounce on me. Luckily I managed to evade them and at one point had to hide in a backalley shadow in death-con 5 mode for 10 minutes while they buggered off.

Anyhow, on to the point of this post... I need a place to keep the bike full-time and seeing as I live in downtown and I can never register a Shanghai plate for this bike and never actually want to ride it in downtown I am looking for an accessible lockup or garage or similar to store the bike in fulltime. Preferably not TOO far out (in Puxi) and preferably not TOO expensive!

I have two mates who are already interested in sharing a the place, but if there is anyone else out there who:

a) would be willing to share also?
    b) has a place already that they would like to share the cost of?
    c) knows of suitable lockups or garages for rent?
    d) has a garage/ warehouse/ anything they don't use and would be willing to rent or ideally provide FOC in return for beers !

then please don't hesitate to get in contact.

I would like to get this sorted out ASAP.

The place would obviously have to be secure and ideally the place would have an electricity line and - not quite so importantly - running water and even a bog, but I am open to ideas/ suggestions/ offers....ANYthing! If we can get a team of people together to share the cost and pool together tools, kit, space, ideas, beers then all the better and I reckon the more people the better the space will get.

Cheers,
    Tommy
    Last edited by tombaxers; 10-19-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Shanghai
    2012 Jialing JH600B-A (Shanghai) 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC (UK)
    2003 Hyosung Aquila 125 (UK) 200? Yamaha YBR 125 (Yangshuo)
    2010 Triumph Bonneville A2 (sold)

2. #2 Re: SHANGHAI Garage/ Lockup/ Warehouse Space to Rent/ Share/ Borrow Anything.....?? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Tommy, I'd be interested in sharing somewhere. Have you found anywhere yet?
    Cheers,
    Pete

3. #3 Re: SHANGHAI Garage/ Lockup/ Warehouse Space to Rent/ Share/ Borrow Anything.....?? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Murphy View Post
    I'd be interested in sharing somewhere. Have you found anywhere yet?

Hi Pete, sounds good, that would make a definite 3, maybe 4 of us. Please pm me your phone number and we can have a chat about what, where, when etc...

Haven't found anything yet, had been hoping for a little more feedback or suggestions on here, so were gonna have to get creative instead. TB Racing had one suggestion so I am going to try and follow that up this weekend.

Any other ideas from anyone welcome.

Cheers
    Shanghai

4. #4 Re: SHANGHAI Garage/ Lockup/ Warehouse Space to Rent/ Share/ Borrow Anything.....?? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hey guys, I'm not based in Shanghai (thankfully after a recent visit last week I see it hasn't changed much since I lived there 8+ years ago, just more buildings and well everything aside from mountains, rivers, sea, beaches - all the stuff I enjoy down here near Ningbo). Still I was wondering if it might be possible for you lot to look at renting something out at the Tianma circuit or similar? Not sure of the costs and I know it isn't downtown, but it might be worth considering no?

An alternative might be to place an enquiry ad on Shanghaiexpat to see if there are any motorcycle friendly expats with a villa or such like with an empty garage (e.g. Pudong or South Shanghai)?

Also I know it is far away from you folk, but where I live there a few spare villas with empty garages which can be rented, as one of my Garman neighbours rented a garage to store his BMW and KTM bikes in once his garage got too small. I also have a couple of riding buddies that have their own big manufacturing based businesses with space aplenty. One has his Harley parked on the 3rd floor next to his office as he doesn't ride it often and his underground parking area at his apartment complex has no electricity outlets so he needs to have the battery on trickle charger. Another mate had 3 biog bikes parked in his factory for awhile. I can ask around if you folk want me to. Hell if I had some spare garage space I'd offer it up, but as it is it's a tight squeeze for my 4 bikes and car already, to mention nothing of all my tools and man cave stuff.

I realise that Ningbo might seem far from Shanghai, but using the Hangzhou Bay bridge makes it a 3 hour commute and there are 3 daily buses direct departing the SH South railway station if that is any comfort. Besides the riding in these parts is down right fantastic compared to what is on offer in and around Shanghai.

Good luck in your search.

5. #5 Re: SHANGHAI Garage/ Lockup/ Warehouse Space to Rent/ Share/ Borrow Anything.....?? 
    Banned
    G'Day,

Check out the industrial estates along Huaxiang road, Joy Motor is located there as well: http://www.motogpchina.com and a few other bike shops plus a good 4x4 outfitter / tuner: http://www.tojeep.com

TP-Engineering (BJ Harley Wang) is setting up a shop and repair centre at the same road (Huaxiang Road #505).
    Attached Images

6. #6 Re: SHANGHAI Garage/ Lockup/ Warehouse Space to Rent/ Share/ Borrow Anything.....?? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by tombaxers View Post
    Hi Pete, sounds good, that would make a definite 3, maybe 4 of us. Please pm me your phone number and we can have a chat about what, where, when etc...

Haven't found anything yet, had been hoping for a little more feedback or suggestions on here, so were gonna have to get creative instead. TB Racing had one suggestion so I am going to try and follow that up this weekend.

Any other ideas from anyone welcome.

Cheers
    Just tried to pm you but not sure if it sent.

7. #7 Re: SHANGHAI Garage/ Lockup/ Warehouse Space to Rent/ Share/ Borrow Anything.....?? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Murphy View Post
    Just tried to pm you but not sure if it sent.
    Yep, and have just replied.
    Shanghai

8. #8 Re: SHANGHAI Garage/ Lockup/ Warehouse Space to Rent/ Share/ Borrow Anything.....?? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Good luck in your search.
    Cheers Bikerdoc, very grateful for your ideas. I have put an ad up on SH Craigslist and gonna do the same on some other Shanghai listings sites like Shanghaiexpat.

If only Ningbo's mountains, beaches, villas and garages were just around the corner as the commute is a bit too far to warrant. The idea of having the bike is to have a means to escape Shanghai as much as possible and I have simply done too many shitty buses to Ningbo over the last 5 years to contemplate any more. Gonna persevere with the hunt here and hope that there might as you say be some biker friendly expats with a villa just off Huqingping Highway and more space than they know what to do with

Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    G'Day,
    Check out the industrial estates along Huaxiang road, Joy Motor is located there as well: http://www.motogpchina.com and a few other bike shops plus a good 4x4 outfitter / tuner: http://www.tojeep.com
    TP-Engineering (BJ Harley Wang) is setting up a shop and repair centre at the same road (Huaxiang Road #505).
    Thanks also Butch, much appreciated! Gonna go on the hunt this weekend.
    Shanghai

9. #9 Re: SHANGHAI Garage/ Lockup/ Warehouse Space to Rent/ Share/ Borrow Anything.....?? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Replied Tommy.

^
    I'll try and take a look along Huaxiang Lu next time I'm near. Thanks for the pointer Butch.

10. #10 Re: SHANGHAI Garage/ Lockup/ Warehouse Space to Rent/ Share/ Borrow Anything.....?? 
    Quote Originally Posted by tombaxers View Post
    If we can get a team of people together to share the cost and pool together tools, kit, space, ideas, beers then all the better and I reckon the more people the better the space will get.
    I have now found a space in Minhang, a short distance from Xinzhuang, so the end of line 1. It is a 240sqm warehouse, so it is bigger than what we initially set out to find, but with a small cooperative of people it could be an ideal space to keep & tinker with bikes just outside the inner ring - so no need for the A-plate (which I cannot even get anyway for the Jialing).

We are now 3 people basically confirmed, hopefully 4 if Pete is still interested? The un-negociated price is ¥60k per year so if we could get 5 or 6 people the monthly ask is going to be ≤¥1000 each. Therefore, if anyone would like to join us please contact me ASAP. I would ask that the minimum term agreed to is 1 year. This doesn't necessarily need to be used for motorbikes, if you need storage space for personal stuff or to keep stock then we can arrange to semi-partition the space without any problem. Please feel free to pass this suggestion on to anyone that may be interested.

I also have some kit from my old apartment that could make a chilled spot in the warehouse as I have a big sofa, some decent wooden storage racks, some radiators and a few other bits and pieces that I won't be needing in my new place.

To give you some idea, one of the guys who is also keen is looking to develop a bike from scratch and Pete (if still keen) is looking to do his bike rebuild work, so there should be some good synergies for tools, kit; ideas and general motorbike related tinkering and more importantly a meeting place for motorbike trips to get the hell out of here, which after all is what it is all about!!

Photos to follow shortly

My mobile number is one three seven zero one nine six four four five nine so please feel free to call to discuss this further!
    Shanghai