Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 superbyke rmr 125 starting issues 
    C-Moto Noob
    hi guys new to the forum and could do with some help !?
    I bought a 2007 rmr 125 on monday in what seemed was pretty reasonable condition it has a yoshumira end can cone air filter upgraded jets rethtal bars etc pretty quick up the gears too reaching 70 / 75 with a strong head wind BUT less than 12 hours after owning it the indecators stopped working ive checked all the bulbs and they all seem fine so had a look at the wiring and holy shit what a mess theres exposed wires everywhere but in saying that all the relevent wires were attached oh and it also had a new indecator switch some months before i bought it and said something about the indicators bieng aftermarket and bieng a different voltage !?
    THEN no less than 3 whole days after owning it driving into work doing roughly 50 / 55 there was a quick cough and it then cut out it took me a good 20 mins to get it going again mainly by trying to bump it because i drained the battery trying to start it and its been like that for 2 days now it only lasts about a couple of hundred yards before cutting out again the previous owner says he replaced the cdi unit last year but thinks it may be the problem again possibly ice getting into it and im not so sure can anyone help please or has anyone had the same issues

cheers guys

2. #2 Re: superbyke rmr 125 starting issues 
    Basics: Good fuel (No water in carb/ tank) | spark plug history/ condition ?
    Use multimeter find the REAL electric ??? if ruled out the ABOVE . http://www.dansmc.com/electricaltesting.htm tells the basics.

A mechanic solves a case similar to ur description http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_125842.htm using primitive method:
    1 . Bypass all circuit > 100% working Ignition system . 2.multimeter
    RARE case - "Trigger" f***s found.
    Last edited by humanbeing; 10-23-2012 at 01:15 PM.

3. #3 Re: superbyke rmr 125 starting issues 
    C-Moto Guru
    Probably an electrical fault then. As humanbeing said you could go over everything with a multimeter while your bike is running; if you find voltages less than 12v that could be an indication of a wiring problem. While your at it check the voltage at the battery terminals; an ideal voltage is roughly 12.6v. This is just a shot in the dark but check the wire that comes from the alternation which is behind the sprocket cover; this wire is exposed and can come in to contact with the front sprocket and chain which can cause the wire to wear out over time and possibly cause a short which would cause an ignition problem.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

4. #4 Re: superbyke rmr 125 starting issues 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer2004 View Post
    Probably an electrical fault then. As humanbeing said you could go over everything with a multimeter while your bike is running; if you find voltages less than 12v that could be an indication of a wiring problem. While your at it check the voltage at the battery terminals; an ideal voltage is roughly 12.6v. This is just a shot in the dark but check the wire that comes from the alternation which is behind the sprocket cover; this wire is exposed and can come in to contact with the front sprocket and chain which can cause the wire to wear out over time and possibly cause a short which would cause an ignition problem.
    hey guys thanks for the replies i should have mentioned in my first post but im not that mechanically minded more of a chancer lol so far i have stripped the bike down and waterproofed all the electrical connections ive ordered a new cdi and spark plug anyway ( no harm in having new ones in ) and will try the alternation wire behind the sprocket cover as soon as i get my hands on a socket set, although funny you should say that as its my first bike im just getting to know it now and i noticed the chain looks much too loose in fact theres marks on the rear wheel wall where the chain seems to have been rubbing so she wont be moving untill thats tightened, also i forgot 2 ask can any one tell me how to check for water in the engine/carb please !? the previous owner fitted the cone air filter and there is around 4 pipes that arent connected to anything 3 roughly 5 mill wide and the 4th is roughly a quarter of an inch wide the large one i think is coming out of the gearbox directly under the carb and one of the small ones comes out of the carb bowl on the underside of it.
    thanks again for your help guys .

5. #5 Re: superbyke rmr 125 starting issues 
    C-Moto Guru
    It's very unlikely that there is water in the carb or engine; any water that gets through the filter would just be expelled along with the exhaust gasses. You may however want to do a simple mod to waterproof your cone filter which I have found to be very effective, you basically cut a large coke bottle in half and put it around the filter. You can see how I did this and other mods I've done here.

The large pipe comming from the top of the engine underneath the carb is the crank case breather hose, it allows gasses that get past the piston rings to escape the engine. You should keep that pipe connected to stop debris from entering the engine and heep the end of the pipe tucked away behind a fairing or something. The pipe comming from the bottom of the carb bowl is to release excess fuel and keep it off the engine to stop the carb bowl from over flowing. The other big pipe goes to the SAI valve which pumps air into the exhaust to help with emmisions, you should keep the end of that pipe tucked away too and put a bit of cloth other the end of it to act as a filter. The other 1 or 2 pipes will be a battery vent and petrol tank vent, again just tuck these away somewhere out of the way and where they wond end up getting caught in the chain.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

6. #6 Re: superbyke rmr 125 starting issues 
    C-Moto Noob
    It's very unlikely that there is water in the carb or engine; any water that gets through the filter would just be expelled along with the exhaust gasses. You may however want to do a simple mod to waterproof your cone filter which I have found to be very effective, you basically cut a large coke bottle in half and put it around the filter. You can see how I did this and other mods I've done here.

The large pipe comming from the top of the engine underneath the carb is the crank case breather hose, it allows gasses that get past the piston rings to escape the engine. You should keep that pipe connected to stop debris from entering the engine and heep the end of the pipe tucked away behind a fairing or something. The pipe comming from the bottom of the carb bowl is to release excess fuel and keep it off the engine to stop the carb bowl from over flowing. The other big pipe goes to the SAI valve which pumps air into the exhaust to help with emmisions, you should keep the end of that pipe tucked away too and put a bit of cloth other the end of it to act as a filter. The other 1 or 2 pipes will be a battery vent and petrol tank vent, again just tuck these away somewhere out of the way and where they wond end up getting caught in the chain.

Cheers for the advice n im getting a bit over my head with her so ive bit the bullet n called a mechanic hes comin monday ti diagnose the problem will keep you posted with the results and cheers for the cokebottle
    Trick it works really well n it was pretty exposed on the rmr

7. #7 Re: superbyke rmr 125 starting issues 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello all finally got a mechanic to come out and have a "quick" look n all he said was its an electrical fault long story short am pretty skint so cant afford to take it to a garage whats happening now............ well ~: i can get it to start and run now but,,,,,,,, its quite strange i thought it was sorted the other day so took it for a spin only got bout 20 miles before it cut out and was prob doin about 50 miles an hour when it happened so eventually started again and limped her home got it started a few times but the second it got over about 4/5 thousand revvs it cut straight out again have ordered a multimetre off ebay so i can start checking connections but does anyone think it could be rectifier regulator / altinator possibly,,,,,,,,,,,,, love the bike but if i don get her runnin soon il be thinkin of a big bonfire in the back garden lol please help anyone any suggestions would be well appreciated
    thanks in advance

8. #8 Re: superbyke rmr 125 starting issues 
    C-Moto Guru
    If you open the throttle slowly the main jet comes in to effect at around 5k revs, your main jet in your carb might be blocked, it could have fell out or the jet could be too big. I put a larger jet in my carb once which was way too large and I had to stay below 5k revs or I'd get loads of missfires.

A good starting point to test your electrical system is to do some tests at the battery terminals; put the red lead from your multimeter on the positive terminal and the black lead on the negative one, with the ignition off you should be getting about 12.5 - 12.8v, this will probably be a bit lower if you haven't ridden it for a while and the cold drains the battery a bit too so it's best to test it after letting your bike idle for 10 minutes or so. With the engine running and no lights on you should be getting roughly 13.8 - 14.8 volts, with the engine still running put some load on the system by turning on the lights and (if you have one) hold down the flasher button so both the dipped beam and high beam is on at the same time, the voltage should initally drop but return to the 13.8 - 14.8 volts range. If any of thoes voltages are off by more than 10% you probably have a charging problem.

Source: this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzz7P3qNHcE

If it turns out to be a charging problem then I'll look into testing the rectifier and alternator.

Also make sure that your battery is good; check the fluid levels and if they are low you need to fill it up to the max line with some deionised water. If you have access to a battery charger then charge your battery then check the voltage, leave it overnight and if the voltage drops significantly then you need a new battery. Also if you cant get the battery above 12.5v after charging then it needs replacing.

Which CDI did you get anyway? and did the mech say anything other than "it's an electrical problem"?

9. #9 Re: superbyke rmr 125 starting issues 
    C-Moto Noob
    If you open the throttle slowly the main jet comes in to effect at around 5k revs, your main jet in your carb might be blocked, it could have fell out or the jet could be too big. I put a larger jet in my carb once which was way too large and I had to stay below 5k revs or I'd get loads of missfires.

A good starting point to test your electrical system is to do some tests at the battery terminals; put the red lead from your multimeter on the positive terminal and the black lead on the negative one, with the ignition off you should be getting about 12.5 - 12.8v, this will probably be a bit lower if you haven't ridden it for a while and the cold drains the battery a bit too so it's best to test it after letting your bike idle for 10 minutes or so. With the engine running and no lights on you should be getting roughly 13.8 - 14.8 volts, with the engine still running put some load on the system by turning on the lights and (if you have one) hold down the flasher button so both the dipped beam and high beam is on at the same time, the voltage should initally drop but return to the 13.8 - 14.8 volts range. If any of thoes voltages are off by more than 10% you probably have a charging problem.

Source: this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzz7P3qNHcE

If it turns out to be a charging problem then I'll look into testing the rectifier and alternator.

Also make sure that your battery is good; check the fluid levels and if they are low you need to fill it up to the max line with some deionised water. If you have access to a battery charger then charge your battery then check the voltage, leave it overnight and if the voltage drops significantly then you need a new battery. Also if you cant get the battery above 12.5v after charging then it needs replacing.

Which CDI did you get anyway? and did the mech say anything other than "it's an electrical problem"?

Hey cheers for the reply pal will try get the carb off and cleaned and get the electrics checked n cheers for the video looks pretty straight forward, bought the cdi off ebay brand new for the rmr listen just thought it was worth asking ive bin searching for a while now n cant seem to find anywhere i can buy a rmr200 engine i had the intentions of swapping it and keeping the 125 as a spare

10. #10 Re: superbyke rmr 125 starting issues 
    C-Moto Guru
    The 200cc version of your engine is the 166FML, the specs can be found here http://wonjan.en.alibaba.com/product...ne_200CC_.html.

I don't think they are sold anywhere in the UK as nobody wants a 200cc bike once they have their licence. You could import one from china but the postage would cost more than the engine it's self. They might be sold somewhere in europe but I haven't seen any yet.

I have been looking into getting a 250cc engine for a while but I don't think that there are any that would fit into the same frame as a 125cc engine, it could probably be done with some mods to the frame and some custom brackets but unless if you can do it your self the cost would be so high you might as well get a standard 250cc bike in the first place.