Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Shipping a bike to China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Dear community,

I will be going back to my home country (Germany) for one year. (As a side note, I will really enjoy this holiday after 6 years of daily madness - you know what I mean.)
    During this one year I will probably buy a dirt bike to keep up with my newly found hobby: motocross. After the Chinese CQR250 experience I am now ready for some Japanese 450cc action (Honda CRF450 or Yamaha YZ450). These bikes are far cheaper in Germany than in China, where their sources are more than doubtful.
    I will come back in January 2014 and I would like to plan ahead, what happens with my future dirt bike then. If possible, I would like to ship it to China. I am well aware that it cannot get a license plate. But that's not what I want. I want to use the bike as a sporting good - the purpose it was designed for. I would declare it as such (sporting good) at the customs as well in order to avoid trouble with the vehicle registration authorities.
    Now my questions: is it legally possible? What are the steps to process? What documents are necessary from my side? How much do shipping companies ask? Any recommendations for shipping companies? Has anybody of you ever done that (legally) and is willing to share their experience?

As always, thanks for your attention and a safe ride!

Cheers, XF
    Shineray X2
    Zongshen CQR250
    Zhanying 125

2. #2 Re: Shipping a bike to China 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi XF
    Been there - done that.
    When I mowed here years back, I shipped a 20" container with furniture and other personal stuff + a KTM 625.
    The bike was on the packinglist with papers and so...no smuggling. On the papers it was definided as sports equipment.
    When the container arrived, the mess started..... to make the story short: It took 4 month to get the bike and the price (tax) was far over the normal price. The bike ended up being more expencive than the marked price in China.
    My advice: don't do it!! - buy something here and pay a little more and avoid all the troubles.
    Torben Vester - "Morfar"
    KTM 530 EXC-R -08
    KTM 625 SXC - 04
    Honda Transalp XL600V
    Suzuki RMX 250

3. #3 Re: Shipping a bike to China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Morfar,
    Thanks for sharing your experience! Your story is exactly what I am afraid of. I will take your advice!
    Best,
    XF
    Shineray X2
    Zongshen CQR250
    Zhanying 125