The X2 is does not meet emissions in China, so it is not able to get registration in china for road use. The company has been working on an EFI version to no avail.

Even as an Off-Road bike the X2 sells in china for around 17,000RMB and the main consumers are paying under 7,000RMB for transportation models, it is not difficult to see what those are they are reflected in the majority of offerings from the Chinese Motorcycle Industry, 50-150cc scooters, CUBs and versions of a CG/CB Honda.

That X2 is approved for sale in the USA, but nobody to date has any to sell, the bike has been on the list of EPA approved models since 2011. The emissions are not as strict here in the USA as in the EU, the model approved for sale here has a carburetor, which as it was submitted to the EPA would not pass the E3 criteria set by the EU commission. Considering that the EPA here has been finding that many of the applications submitted to them by Chinese manufacturers and their affiliates have falsified test results, the data may not be accurate?

Before you buy a Chinese model it is best to make sure it can be registered for street use. I do not know the process in Scotland but assume the dealer handles that and it is their ass if they register bikes for road use that are not legit. You said he only has one, hmmm that’s interesting so he is not too invested in them is he.

I am just suspicious that the bike is not actually legitimate to sell in the EU for street use, but at this point if you can get one and register it then it does not matter, in the worst case scenario they simply stop selling them and those that did sell them deal with the fallout. You could get a replacement CDI if you need one from china in that case or any other bit you might need down the road.

Just seems odd to me that the bike meets E3 and not approved in china, why is that?