Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Hi... Newbie checking in 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi guys,

Just joined and trying to get my head around some of the brands/manufacturers/models on the Chinese moto scene - no easy task!

Bit of background... First bike was a Honda Hornet that I rode home from the dealership with a fresh MOT yet it was chucking petrol all over the engine, exhaust and me! Hated that bike. Second was a Yamaha Fazer with a 'mileage discrepancy' that I took the dealer to court over. Got pretty disillusioned with buying bikes due to the incompetence and dishonesty of (most) of the bike dealers in my part of the UK so currently bikeless for the past couple of years. Bigger bikes too expensive here now (my brother-in-law got his Bandit new in '09 for £4,000. Dealer now sells them for £6500) and running costs not worth it for me any more, but I have been toying with the idea of a small capacity city runaround for fun.

Started investigating the Chinese bikes and visited a couple of dealers - one a joke, but the other seemed pretty reputable. Pretty tempted to go for a bike in the next few weeks but dilemma over what make? (Being a bit taller, I like the supermoto style)...

Pulse Adrenaline - quite fancied this. Am I right in thinking this is made by Pioneer (or is it Qingqi?) and is the same as the Sinnis Apache and Superbyke RMR? If so, why does the Sinnis seem to get better reviews... is it because they have an office in the UK which markets them better? Presumably all from the same factory and just different branding?

Lexmoto - where does this fit in... any relation to the above?

Likewise AJR?

HMC Lightning - liked this one most of all when I looked at it a fortnight ago. 125, watercooled, the most expensive but great 'fit' for me at 6'3" and 200lbs. Is this new for 2012 as never heard of HMC before? Not sure who the manufacturer is but it looks like a bike on the Zongshen website.

I'm soooo confused by all the choices, what brands have the better reputations, what brands have better spares availability etc. Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere - I've tried searching but can't find it... but is there a list somewhere of what Chinese manufacturers make what UK branded imports? Any opinions welcome as it all helps me decide on what bike to go for. I'd like to buy within the next month.

Thanks !!!
    2007 - '02 reg Hornet 600
    2010 - '03 reg Fazer 600
    2012 - fed up with Jap manufacturers rip-off prices , running costs, and shopping around for a fun 125.

2. #2 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    That Lighting is a Zongshen, you can find lots about it on the internet.

If you want a Dual Sport then the best option is the Honda CRF250L £3950 OTR

3. #3 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    I am not going to write that all that are involved in Zingbikes are amateurs, because they are obvious new to the game.

The people behind JOHNBANKS are not fecking around are they, they are clear and concise about what they are selling and who makes it, no smoke and mirrors, no bulshite re-branded divert and deflect flood the market with low cost, low quality, ten copies of basically the same products that are copies of other products going on there.

4. #4 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    Jianshe 6B / 6A (YBR clone) from learner legal also a good option. AJS had that engine in one of their bike since '09 , reviews isn't that bad. No mater whose the maker -- AFC-50 is a MUST for chinese bike in UK!!!

5. #5 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    Japanzzz, hello and welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place .... to be even more confused about Chinese motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by japanzzz View Post
    I'm soooo confused by all the choices...
    It is strange that this comes from a man who lives in a country from where are "few" motorcycles factories: Vincent, Norton, Tandon, BSA, Brough Superior, Sunbeam, Hesketh, Norton-Villiers, Corgi, Ariel, Matchless, Clyno, DMW, Cotton, AJS, Excelsior, Hesketh, Greeves, Martinsyde, Velocette… I am convinced that the list is not final, so you tell us who should be confused?

shopping around for a fun 125
    With your background, I think you'll be bored to death with the 125 cc motorcycle.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

6. #6 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the Honda CRF250L recommendation MJH but, as always it comes down to money. I don't doubt that it's the best option, but then at twice the price of the Chinese bikes I'd certainly hope so. I have given the Honda serious consideration already since reading a review of it a couple of months ago in the bike magazines, but for almost £4k for a 250 it's not worth it to me. I was about to say I'd stetch to £5400 for a BMW G650GS but just checked their website and they're now up to nearly £6400! Yeah, I'm sure John Banks know what they're about, but then the same could be argued for any main dealer selling Honda bikes - the Chinese have a LONG way to go before they can compete with that.

Zorge, you know far more British manufacturers than I do, but (and I might well be wrong), most of these ones you mention ceased producing bikes donkey's years ago. Vast majority of bikes in the UK now are the big 4 Japs, Triumph (can't believe you ommitted them!), a bit of Italian and some German thrown in for good measure. I know a 125 isn't exactly in Ducati Pannigale territory but as far as I'm concerned it's just as fast and fun from point A to B on my commute - squeezing through traffic jams. Maybe in a year when I've moved house and job I'll go for something bigger, but at present it's down to cost and the 125's what I want.

I'm assuming you guys must have a Chinese moto to be on here so spill the beans... would I love it, or are Chinese bikes going to give me headaches?
    2007 - '02 reg Hornet 600
    2010 - '03 reg Fazer 600
    2012 - fed up with Jap manufacturers rip-off prices , running costs, and shopping around for a fun 125.

7. #7 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Japanzzz,

Welcome to MCM. Use the advanced search tool (not just the basic search window) and you'll find a very active and enthusiastic Pulse Adrenaline community there in blighty. That's the direction I'd be looking. Let us know how you get on.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    £2,500.00 for a CBF125 OTR

That’s a Chinese manufactured model, it does not matters what country it is made in, what matters is the quality of the build and the support behind it as well as resale value.

9. #9 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    another option is going through Barrus, they support Hyosung that offers the RT125D for $2,599.00 OTR

10. #10 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    Zorge, you know far more British manufacturers than I do, but (and I might well be wrong), most of these ones you mention ceased producing bikes donkey's years ago.
    I blame AMAL for that.

I'm assuming you guys must have a Chinese moto to be on here so spill the beans... would I love it, or are Chinese bikes going to give me headaches?
    Actually - no.

Every respectable Chinese motorcycle manufacturer with his bike gives a bag of Chinese herbal therapy and a set of needles for acupuncture with a detailed instruction manual included on the DVD. Therefore, not only that you headache-free, but at the same time, you solve problems with sciatica, rheumatism, high blood pressure, hemorrhoids, impotence ...

Jokes aside. IMO, if you're a weekend-grease-monkey, you should not have any problems with the maintenance and repair of a simple 125-250 cc Chinese motorcycle.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast