Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Mm Mmm Mmmmm... I'm in love!!! Just went to the Chinese bike dealer in the town where I work and he's got a lot of AJP bikes from Portugal in stock. In terms of Chinese bikes, he recommended the Pulse Adrenaline for a 125. HMC Lightening decent bike but he'd had quite a few issues with one of the ones that he had sold so was swaying towards the Adrenaline as not had any probs with the 15 he's sold this year. HOWEVER :) a couple of Shineray Enduro 250s in stock. TASTY!!!!!! I want one! This could be it. Guy quite happy to show me the bike, let me take it for a spin, nothing to hide. He rated it and wasn't pushy. Take it or leave it.

Being new to the Chinese bike scene, the impression I'm getting is that although the quality and brand name isn't quite up to Jap standards, they are decent bikes in their own right and well worth the money. The problems I might encounter usually seem to be pretty minor in nature, and most of the dealers seem pretty down to earth and working hard to build up their brands - something some of the larger dealerships of Jap bikes sometimes take for granted... with a corresponding lack of customer service. I think I'm going to buy one. Shineray Enduro 250 for the same price as the Honda CBF125 I considered - what one gains in engine size, fun factor, look etc, the other gains in terms of brand name, proven reliability, etc. Swings and roundabouts.

SHINERAY ENDURO 250 - Any opinions?
    2007 - '02 reg Hornet 600
    2010 - '03 reg Fazer 600
    2012 - fed up with Jap manufacturers rip-off prices , running costs, and shopping around for a fun 125.

2. #12 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    Quote Originally Posted by japanzzz View Post
    they are decent bikes in their own right and well worth the money.
    Statements like this are usually followed up 6-12 months later with "you get what you pay for". You sound mechanical enough to make a decent go of a Chinese moto and will probably do alright with the Shineray. Most people can't see through the constant upkeep and niggling issues. BTW, Shineray has offered about 63 different 250's over the last 5 years, a picture or link to the model you're referring to would help a lot.

Just curious, why not look for a decent second hand Japanese bike?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #13 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello mate, Welcome to MCM

4. #14 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    SHINERAY ENDURO 250 - Any opinions?
    Which one did you saw: black with the green stickers and LC engine or one that looks like Yamaha Serow?
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

5. #15 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I think it's a Shineray XY250GY-2 like this bad boy on the Zingbikes site... http://www.zingbikes.com/acatalog/shinerayenduro.html

Black, green stickers and liquid cooled.l

ChinaV, you asked why not go for a second-hand Jap bike?... basically there's not much on offer where I live in Scotland. Much of what is being sold like the Suzuki DRZs at a couple of local dealers are around £3400-3500 for a 4.5-5 yr old machine. Much of what's been advertised privately at reasonable prices has been played around with, or there's something about the advert or the bikes that don't ring quite true for me. The attraction of the Shineray is it's new and hasn't been messed about with by someone else. Also cheap insurance and no MOT to worry about for 3 years.

Presumably Chinese manufacturer's bike are bought by the majority of Chinese people, many of whom can't stretch to a Jap make. And I can't believe they fall apart too quickly there.
    2010 - '03 reg Fazer 600
    2012 - fed up with Jap manufacturers rip-off prices , running costs, and shopping around for a fun 125.

6. #16 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    The Shineray X2 cannot be registered in china. Its manufacturer primarily exports, nearly three quarters of its production is exported. You can buy one in china but it cannot be plated, unless they have a new version that has been approved in china.

The bike has a six-speed not a five speed.

It is odd that they can sell that bike under E3 in Europe and not sell them in China, in China it is an off road bike.

http://www.shineraymotor.com.cn/prod...sp?columnid=85

7. #17 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    What is interesting is that Shineray is doing the same thing AJP is with old Honda engine designs.
    This is the Xinyuan RFVC 400cc

AJP offers the 200cc and 250cc RFVC, from the 1980’s that is the era that engine had faulty heads that cracked, it is not hard to find verbiage on that on the net. AJP sells the RFVC engines with Delphi EFI to meet E3.

Hmm that would or could be a good partner for Xinyuan? AJP could source 400cc from Xinyuan.

8. #18 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    I think it's a Shineray XY250GY-2 like this bad boy on the Zingbikes site... http://www.zingbikes.com/acatalog/shinerayenduro.html

Black, green stickers and liquid cooled.
    Engine is Honda NX 250 clone. There is a supermoto version too.

Ask Syanur http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/me...hp?6252-Syanur about the bike, he's riding one.

basically there's not much on offer where I live in Scotland.
    Oh, you are Scotsman! Now some things become clear... "It's been in the family for years."

Much of what is being sold like the Suzuki DRZs at a couple of local dealers are around £3400-3500 for a 4.5-5 yr old machine. Much of what's been advertised privately at reasonable prices has been played around with, or there's something about the advert or the bikes that don't ring quite true for me. The attraction of the Shineray is it's new and hasn't been messed about with by someone else. Also cheap insurance and no MOT to worry about for 3 years
    If you have not firmly decided to buy enduro/supermoto bike, and 3500 quid is acceptable price, should you take into consideration new Suzuki GW 250.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

9. #19 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    hey japass
    the shineray x2 is not a bad bike
    i have 8500km on mine with no issues other than a fried voltage regulator
    nice bike to ride and the engine is one of hondas better efforts faithfully copied by the wee gnomes at shineray

2012-05-12_10-33-41_297 by johnnyfast, on Flickr

10. #20 Re: Hi... Newbie checking in 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey Zhu, nice to hear from soneone who has one. The bike dealer near my work uses the Enduro one as his courtesy bike. I think it's got five & a half thousand miles of hard use and abuse on the clock from all manner of riders, but the bike shop owner reckons it's been rock-solid reliable (biased admittedly).

ChinaV, Zorge and MJH - you've all mentioned about looking for a Jap bike... Suzuki GW 250 Inazuma etc. Although the price of the Pulse Adrenaline, Shineray XY250GY etc is the thing that attracts me to them (obviously), I do value your opinions with regard to these bikes versus those from the land of the rising sun, particularly as my knowledge of Chinese bikes is extremely limited. So... for a well built, reliable machine, are any of these Chinese bikes contenders or are you subtlely (or otherwise) trying to point me in the direction of a Jap bike??? Be honest please :)

Zorge "Oh, you are Scotsman! Now some things become clear... "It's been in the family for years." " Nop, Aussie, but as I've been in Scotland since the age of 3, I've had plenty of time to pick up the bad habits! :)

MJH, you mention the Shineray is produced as an export item. I take it the locals in China aren't really into the 'Supermoto' styling for their day-to-day commuting bikes? What styles and makes of bike are normally seen being ridden by locals in China?
    2010 - '03 reg Fazer 600

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast